Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
270ultimate

Re: Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Post by 270ultimate »

I have a few Lynch clips, as well as one MXG Gear I put on a ZT. MXG’s website shows several long ones, but I didn’t see any dimensions listed or comparison photos.

The fit and finish on mine seem on par with Lynch, fwiw.
tzirconia

Post by tzirconia »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:03 pm
For those who are concerned about pocket shred, but want to carry the knife anyway...any modifications possible? Could you fill in the grip troughs around the clip contact area with epoxy? Possibly sand the upper sharp tips of the grip squares a bit, at the clip contact area?

Alternately, what other longer pocket clips might fit the LW NC?
I wonder if bending out the pocket clip a wee bit would help? I've seen some recommend this across various threads but haven't tried it myself.

I'll be watching this thread as I'm eyeing the Magnacut Salt version of this knife.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I always bend my clips out a little, so I hope that will suffice. I won't be sanding, using epoxy or buying a clip for my new knife though.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

I just checked LynchNW, their Spyderco Long Clip is listed as being compatible with the Native Chief LW, as well as several other FRN models, including the Delica FRN. in their pics, the point of contact lands in the center of the Delica's oval pad. If you have one handy, compare the Delica to your Chief to see where the point of contact would be.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:02 am
If you have one handy, compare the Delica to your Chief to see where the point of contact would be.
Thanks for the tip. I have a Lil Matriarch which is a Delica variant. The clip on that is about 1/16” shorter than what is on my Chief. So I don’t expect the long Lynch clip to be an improvement. But I should see what other Delica clip options are out there…
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

My Delica 4 clips are the same size as the Native Chief LW.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Well, sadly, zhyla is right about the clip. It grabs and bunches at your pocket, because the clip should be longer, and the pivot is way too tight to even slow roll. The pivot is an easier fix, and the clip could be bent and it might help, but I'm not sure if I should. The blade and ergos are incredible though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:53 pm
I always bend my clips out a little, so I hope that will suffice. I won't be sanding, using epoxy or buying a clip for my new knife though.

Bending out would not be a solution for all.. I always go the other way: Remove the clip, bend it IN and attach it again so that the tension actually gets stronger. I want that, cause I have already lost two Spydies that somehow came loose and fell out of my pocket (admittedly during mountaineering/hiking with a lot of high steps and the like).

So I probably would not like how the Chief LW is done in that regard too (only had a G10 Chief so far).
For me Spydercos FRN handles normally are less of a pocket shredder than their G10 handles, but only and exactly cause/when the clip lands on that smooth logo...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:46 am
Well, sadly, zhyla is right about the clip. It grabs and bunches at your pocket, because the clip should be longer, and the pivot is way too tight to even slow roll. The pivot is an easier fix, and the clip could be bent and it might help, but I'm not sure if I should.
Sorry to hear you had basically the same experience as I did. What the heck are they doing to the pivots in Golden???

If I liked the knife overall better I’d probably just make a clip for it. I have some titanium lying around here somewhere.
cabfrank wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:46 am
The blade and ergos are incredible though.
My assessment is the blade is incredible but the ergos are awkward. I don’t think finger choils make sense for a knife this size. Makes it an inch longer when open than it needs to be. I want that blade in a smaller package. When I’m holding the knife there’s over an inch of handle sticking out and I don’t have small hands.

I put mine back in the box today. I could return it but I’ll just sell it to someone in a bit. At the price I paid I can give someone a really good deal and break even.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Sorry to hear you guys had that kind of experience, guess I'll take the Chief off my want list and save the funds for something else. There are still a few other Spydies I'd rather have anyway.
Jack
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

After all these posts it looks like I need to handle a lightweight before a buy in the future . I have an exclusive and a sprint in G10 and both operate very well and the clip is a nonissue. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I have a dog in this fight, preordered a Magnacut NC LW last BF (and still waiting).

I am hoping once the clip length issue is brought to the attention of Spyderco, they will produce a longer clip... ?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm surprised it happened, but I think you could just bend the clip out a little.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I've been carrying the NC LW for nearly a month now, and have had no issue with pocketing, nor retrieving the knife from pocket. I saw this "issue" discussed when photos came out about the knife, but that was still when the model was pending release. Kind of hard to take a data point beyond face-value at that rate, though it did postpone my purchasing of this knife, as it has seemed to for many here. Perception can be a helluvuh thing to shake.

I will say this, if you wear slacks, or thin pants, this may be an issue. I wear thicker pants almost exclusively, and this is a non issue. If this is your primary knife that you will utilize and deploy multiple times per day, this could perhaps become an issue regardless, though I don't always reach for this folder for all of my daily usage. At this rate, I wouldn't see this being an issue for me, and I haven't adjusted the clip to relieve factory tension.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 pm
I am hoping once the clip length issue is brought to the attention of Spyderco, they will produce a longer clip... ?
I think the best option is to have someone make a custom titanium clip if you really want this knife. Or some permanent modification of the knife.

I'm opting to get rid of it and buy some other Spyderco that doesn't have a design flaw. I don't expect Spyderco to directly weigh in on this thread... but I hope they at least take notice.
R100

Post by R100 »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm
Bolster wrote:
I think the best option is to have someone make a custom titanium clip if you really want this knife. Or some permanent modification of the knife.

I'm opting to get rid of it and buy some other Spyderco that doesn't have a design flaw. I don't expect Spyderco to directly weigh in on this thread... but I hope they at least take notice.
The MXG non deep carry clip is longer than a Spyderco clip and may well be the solution if you are willing to go after-market. I have one and will try it when my Chief LW arrives and can report back.

Dan
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm
Bolster wrote:

This is a bit of an overstatement? Spyderco choosing to use a removable clip, of which many folks seem to dismiss or outright complain about anyway, could be seen as a poor choice, but calling it a design flaw sounds more like you just don't personally enjoy the model.

I'd say hold on to the knife for a bit and see if it doesn't warm up to you after some carry, or clip replacement. I agree with your idea that a longer clip would be more beneficial for the model, direct from Spyderco, however, with all the lashings that Spyderco takes from customers, and along with the companies making secondary marketable clips out there that Spyderco would have to compete with, they can't really seem to win at any rate. You got the knife for a song, so let it sing for you a little bit beyond a first impression. I will admit that I was not all that smitten with the model upon delivery, but after ~1 month of use and carry, I've grown to like the model a whole lot.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

R100 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:53 pm

The MXG non deep carry clip is longer than a Spyderco clip and may well be the solution if you are willing to go after-market. I have one and will try it when my Chief LW arrives and can report back.

Dan

Thank you!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

The MXG shallow carry clip will almost certainly work. It does on the Police.

In my hand it's the most ergonomic clip available for several Spyderco knives: the whole Stretch family, the Manix 2, the Manix 2XL, the Police, the Endura family, maybe more. It's 2nd best to another MXG Gear clip for the PM2. I immediately replace the factory clip on all the above models (except the PM2) with this particular MXG clip. I've never understood why MXG Gear gets so little love compared with Lynch, though Lynch clips are excellent, too.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 am
I will say this, if you wear slacks, or thin pants, this may be an issue. I wear thicker pants almost exclusively, and this is a non issue. If this is your primary knife that you will utilize and deploy multiple times per day, this could perhaps become an issue regardless, though I don't always reach for this folder for all of my daily usage. At this rate, I wouldn't see this being an issue for me, and I haven't adjusted the clip to relieve factory tension.

Well, actually ALL of the pants I wear regularily (even the thick and sturdy ones) are/get pretty trashed over time on the right side front pocket from putting my folders in at out of the pocket in daily use... so a design where the clip does not even land on a smooth spot just has to make that worse I guess - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)