Has there ever been a LW Wharncliffe Lil' Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Has there ever been a LW Wharncliffe Lil' Native?

Post by Bolster »

I'm warming up to the idea of a shorter blade and am exploring options, but haven't been paying attention to past releases...has there ever been a lightweight wharncliffe/sheepfoot Lil' Native?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Zive

Re: Has there ever been a LW Wharncliffe Lil' Native?

Post by Zive »

Not yet, but the Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe is worth checking out. K390 version is superb.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Unless I’m mistaken, the lightweight FRN Lil Native hasn’t been released in any configuration yet. It’s highly likely they will offer the Wharncliffe version of it at some point. Blade swaps with the G10 version will not be possible since the blade/lockbar thickness of the lightweight versions will be thinner than the G10 AFAIK.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:07 pm
Unless I’m mistaken, the lightweight FRN Lil Native hasn’t been released in any configuration yet. It’s highly likely they will offer the Wharncliffe version of it at some point....

Ah, not released yet; I'm jumping the gun. I hope your prediction comes true! I was surprised to see that the LW LN's will have thinner bladestock than the G-10 versions, I'm looking forward to that...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A Lil Native LW wharnie could actually be a real challenger for the wharnie DFly I am thinking about getting one periodically.

I could never warm up to the "regular" Lil Native, going by its specs alone: Blade much too thick for my liking and heavy weight for the size.

The LW though with its thinner blade, lighter weight and 3 or 4 mm more edge than a Dfly is something to consider - in a wharnie blade shape.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Check out the discontinued Byrd Robin Wharncliffe as well. If I didn't have a Lil Native Wharncliffe I'd probably have one of those. Didn't really like the Wharncliffe Dragonfly, the taller blade ruins the superb DFly looks IMO.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The current Lil Native Wharncliffe is a compression lock and the Lil Native Lightweight is a backlock, so a blade swap will definitely not be possible.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benja-man wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:46 am
Check out the discontinued Byrd Robin Wharncliffe as well. If I didn't have a Lil Native Wharncliffe I'd probably have one of those. Didn't really like the Wharncliffe Dragonfly, the taller blade ruins the superb DFly looks IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion, did not know that the Robin can be had as a wharnie!
I like the 2.5 mm bladestock, but tbh: What I actually really like in the Lil Native is the "humpless" spine - and the Robin does not offer that. If I went for a spine with "hump" it would still be the Dfly for me - practically same edge length as the Robin, but lighter and "better" steel options.

The Lil Native is actually a really cool knife, I like the looks and the overall design a lot, just not the thicker stock and higher weight (just personal preferences) of the non LW versions.
A WHARNIE Lil Native lightweight with the thinner stock (at best in SE) could really become "the" "tiny" Spydie I´d get, despite I am generally more of a larger folder kind of guy...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)