Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Post by Surfingringo »

I was sooooo sad!!!

I have wanted this knife FOREVER, but this was discontinued before my time here. When I saw the announcement several months ago I was overjoyed. But….I did what I always do and procrastinated until the last minute. By the time I acted they were all gone.

Then I found one! Haha. Now I am soooo stoked! Incoming!! Hope to have mine here in Costa Rica by the end of next week!! Also ordered a PM2 Salt for good measure! And I’ll be getting a Chief too when those come out! Thank you Spyderco!!!
brj

Post by brj »

Mine should be here as well in a couple of days, this is one of my most anticipated knives of the year, haven't been this thrilled about getting a Spyderco for quite a while now ;) .

Also throwed an XL Stretch in the cart (despite my utter and complete dislike of the mega-choil), looking forward to trying out H2.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Blades Canada ;) 11 in stock
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 pm
SpyderJunky wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm
SpyderJunky wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm
Bingo!

Anybody know what angle this bevel is ground at?
Got this to go with it...
We'll start on the shoulders of the bevel wit first sharpenings...

20240328_170543_copy_4000x2252.jpg
I can check the edge bevel on mine later. I imagine 15-17dps like most Spyderco's. Galley V is 10dps, so you'll be working those shoulders for a long time before you get to the edge.
I figured the bevels were probably the same as their other production knives... But I think I would like them narrower for cleaning fish.
I also purchase some of the compatible CBN rods for the gauntlet to help me along...
I used to have a little wet stone that stood up at fourteen degree and I put a couple of quarters under the end of the box to make it even steeper. It worked real well but I can't find the dang thing...
I think i'm going to attach my galley v to a 2×4 block longer than the rods so I can take it to a fish cleaning table with me. I may even add some grooves lengthwise to rubber band the rods down and i'm going to also drill a couple holes for the steel rods from my sharp maker to protect my hands. My sharpmaker is screwed down to a wooden bench and I use both hands on the knife so the steel rods are not necessary there.
And I have another Catcherman in the pipeline so I can mainly experiment with one before I alter the other.
I would appreciate any future feedback on the bevel angle though if you get around to it...
Thank you kindly.
Also interested in any info or experience. anybody has about taking that LC200N down to 10°... Wondering if it will stand up to being that thin without rolling or chipping.
The cleaning tables I use at various places run from wood to starboard to stainless.
This place is a deep well of knowledge and maybe I could get some feedback...
Thanks in advance for that!
Tight lines!
Just a heads up on the Gauntlet vs the Galley V rods (other than the length difference) I have noticed a slight angle difference as well (measured with a bubble level and protractor). Maybe this is due to them not fitting as snugly in the Galley V slots as the GV stones. Not huge maybe a degree or two, for me the Gauntlet CBN were sharpening at around 11-12dps, the galley V 10dps. So even after reprofiling with the Gauntlet cbn in the galley V, when I switched to the fine GalleyV rods, I was hitting the shoulders again. It's easy enough to just angle the blade a little to compensate, but just be aware.
I noticed the same thing with the CBN Gauntlet rods in my Galley V. I cut some card stock shims to reduce the angle but it is an imperfect modification at best.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:35 pm
I was sooooo sad!!!

I have wanted this knife FOREVER, but this was discontinued before my time here. When I saw the announcement several months ago I was overjoyed. But….I did what I always do and procrastinated until the last minute. By the time I acted they were all gone.

Then I found one! Haha. Now I am soooo stoked! Incoming!! Hope to have mine here in Costa Rica by the end of next week!! Also ordered a PM2 Salt for good measure! And I’ll be getting a Chief too when those come out! Thank you Spyderco!!!
@Surfingringo Nice to see you again, Lance! Are you still kayak fishing?
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Fantastic knife! Just carried mine on a trip along the Pacific coast and used it quite a bit!
Think for yourself
outdoorman vojto

Post by outdoorman vojto »

All versions Catcherman.
Attachments
All versions Catcherman
All versions Catcherman
juggler

Post by juggler »

outdoorman vojto wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am
All versions Catcherman.
Quite the collection!

I wonder why there are not more CE knives with the serrations near the tip of the blade, like the second one from the top. Seems like a good idea to me, especially with longer blades.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Erroneous post.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

juggler wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:07 pm

I wonder why there are not more CE knives with the serrations near the tip of the blade, like the second one from the top. Seems like a good idea to me, especially with longer blades.
That one isn't a CE. It is fully serrated. It's easier to see if you enlarge the picture.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:13 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:35 pm
I was sooooo sad!!!

@Surfingringo Nice to see you again, Lance! Are you still kayak fishing?
What’s up Chris? Man, I’m getting old, tired and gray but yeah, I’m still out there most days. Here’s one from this morning. Non knife related, but it IS a Catcherman thread. You guys are about to be seeing a lot more fish/catcherman pics. :cheap-sunglasses

juggler

Post by juggler »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:41 pm
That one isn't a CE. It is fully serrated. It's easier to see if you enlarge the picture.
Oh, my bad. You do see it better when you enlarge the picture...

I still think a CE blade with serrations near the tip would be interesting, though.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Nice to see you’re still kickin’ Lance!
Look forward to see inspirational photos of the Catcherman put to real use

..and to have some of them Catchermans reach European shores, so that inspiration can be converted to real life fishing adventures.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I was also someone who wanted one of these so I picked up a couple.
Ideally I would like a catcherman salt 2 with an updated clip but... it is what it is. Probably keep this in the bag or tackle box instead of the pocket anyways.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I live in Nevada so no ocean fishin' for me, but this Catcherman is a great 'all around' knife'. Light and handy, it's perfect for food prep, box cutting and anything else I deem fit to slice. I love LC200n, and it's held a decent edge for me and is super easy to keep sharp.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cletus,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
brj

Post by brj »

Loving it (says the armchair fisherman ;) ). Love the blade shape, the thinness of it, the integral clip, the overall size, the 3 scallops of serrations and no more, the overall length and in-hand balance. Don’t think I’ve been this impressed with a Spyderco ever since getting the Watu some 4 years ago.

Also got a Stretch XL despite my notorious :shush aversion towards the mega-choil, looking forward to playing with H2 while my trusted H1/OG Pac Salts get a well-deserved rest this coming summer.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Always a nice surprise when a new knife shows up. I am sure the Catcherman will surprise me in other ways, but out of the box I was surprised at how hand filling the handle is. As compared to the Waterway the size difference is noticeable.
IMG_20240423_131727712catcherman.jpg
The handle is not too big. I can slow roll the blade open one handed and close one handed too. The centering is perfect. The lock up is perfect.

Currently, I am between ice fishing season and open water so I am not catching fish, but I may go buy one just to try this knife out.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mine arrived today. I’ve been after a Catcherman for a long while, and I’m delighted. I’m no fisherman, but I live near the sea and do buy and prepare fresh fish, and it feels like it should be a great general food prep knife, too.

Now I’m just waiting for the Spyderco oyster knife :rofl
brj

Post by brj »

No fisherman here either, but I've been using the Catcherman in the kitchen and it's an absolute beast of a performer. Love everything about it, including the old school integral clip. Might need a backup before they are gone ;)