Neck Sheath for PM2???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bob_Patterson

Neck Sheath for PM2???

Post by Bob_Patterson »

Hello folks, :grin-big eyes

Is anyone privy to a recommendable source for a neck sheath for a Para 3, or a PM 2 ?

THANKS A MILLION, :grin-big eyes
Bob_ Patterson
sal

Re: Neck Sheath for PM2???

Post by sal »

Hi Bob,

Welcome to our forum.

Are you thinking to use a neck sheath to hold the knives open or closed?

sal
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

- Richard
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

Bob_Patterson

Post by Bob_Patterson »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:55 pm
Hi Bob,

Welcome to our forum.

Are you thinking to use a neck sheath to hold the knives open or closed?

sal
Geezealou, my 1st thread and the CEO responds! :hugging-face It’s my distinct pleasure to be here, sir!
Safety being my primary concern, I’d be very interested in your input. Ideally open, but I suspect closed to be the more intelligent option. I have the option of a Para 3 also, but I doubt the weight and size differential is significantly relevant. My only other knife is my gorgeous Military 2, which is clearly out of the question and would violate Colorado’s knife laws; (3.5 maximum which I’m certain you realize is illegal regardless of the method…) :hot-face
Bob_Patterson

Post by Bob_Patterson »

Thank you for Laphroaig9 and riclaw for those extraordinary links!!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bob,

Yes, Safety is the concern for me. It is just my opinion, but I think that neck knives should be as light as possible and have the best possible sheath retention. Having an opened knife loose under my shirt is a scary situation. We don't make very many neck knives. My Swick design is offered in a neck sheath and the steel is rust proof, but I still prefer to carry mine sheathed in my back pocket. Gail wears one as a neck knife. Your mileage may vary.

Hope you enjoy your time here. It's a good group.

sal
Bob_Patterson

Post by Bob_Patterson »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm
Hi Bob,

Yes, Safety is the concern for me. It is just my opinion, but I think that neck knives should be as light as possible and have the best possible sheath retention. Having an opened knife loose under my shirt is a scary situation. We don't make very many neck knives. My Swick design is offered in a neck sheath and the steel is rust proof, but I still prefer to carry mine sheathed in my back pocket. Gail wears one as a neck knife. Your mileage may vary.

Hope you enjoy your time here. It's a good group.

sal

Hello Sal, et all

Thanks for questioning me on open or closed carry. After some long & hard thought, I simply ordered from the 2nd link. All of Dimitrious’ sheaths are fabricated for CLOSED Spyderco knives. With ordering in a tip Down configuration, the end result boils down to what I normally carry tip up in my right hand front pocket. My current neck knife is a fixed blade with < 2 oz weight.
It will be a slow transition with the ultimate determination based upon how snugly the heavier Spyderco knives are gripped. Sadly, due to a changing economic/political landscape in downtown Denver, I was assaulted and robbed with the immigrants stealing nothing more than my personal pride. I can only ambulate with a rolling walker. Even under duress, I can think of nothing more horrible than cutting an assailant with any knife. I could easily take a felon down with a pistol, but stabbing anyone is definitely an intense personal experience. Sooo, my hope is to eliminate all encounters with a knife easily and clearly identifiable on my chest!

I hope I haven’t violated Forum protocol by referencing a seller’s .com

~Bob Patterson~ 🇺🇸
Bob_Patterson

Post by Bob_Patterson »

So I wanted to post an update,guys, My curiosity got the best of me and I purchased 2 Spyderco-specific Kydex neck sheaths; specifically for my Para3 & Paramilitary 2.

My source was obtained from the links from a few posts earlier on in this thread. I do not know the proprietor save to know him as Demitrious. Aside from the U. S. Postal Service, turnaround was less than a week. Communication was timely, but occasionally ambiguous. It appeared that the craftsman and I had differing opinions on the knife orientations. It’s actually rather confusing because I attempted to replicate my right front pocket, tip up carrying characteristics but upside down and on my left chest

I was concerned about my personal injury if the sheath didn’t grip the closed knife securely. NOT TO WORRY! These sheaths close like a bear trap to the point that at first I found removing the knife daunting and really difficult to do. He explained that his deployment process required the 2 sheath sides to open as a clamshell to grasp as well as to release the knife. I. must say after watching a plethora of Youtube videos about amateur sheath fabrication that most fabrication dwelled on obtaining a much more accurate retention thru a more accurate Kidex fit and the final product almost always included cheap and easy to install 3 cent rivets @ areas of high stress. My total came to $42 for both sheaths delivered to my door. In retrospect, I’d have gladly paid more for a perfectly fitting Kydex with a few 3 cent rivets @ the stress points. Do I enjoy these sheaths? Yes, I do. When only one entrepreneur sells what you’re after, you can’t be horribly picky. I gambled and I’m satisfied, but from now on never taking off these sheaths except to shower, there exists some design failures which I wish I could’ve corrected. Afterall when you wear something day in all around the clock, it becomes prudent to buy that which is best suited to your own personal
IMG_3823.jpeg
IMG_3821.jpeg
preferences.