Where Artificial Intelligence Is Right Now

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Where Artificial Intelligence Is Right Now

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Re: Where Artificial Intelligence Is Right Now

Post by Naperville »

Things are changing rapidly though. Five years from now we may be looking at a whole nother beast.

Microsoft's $100 Billion Dollar Investment in AI
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

If you like FACTS based on research and summarized by AI, and not drivel from the Internet like most AI systems then try Consensus.

Consensus AI
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Not a big fan of Zuckerberg or Facebook. Just the idea that Meta’s Fundamental A.I. Research team, is codenamed FAIR is what I would call "fair warning".

Microsoft has a colorful history too. Here's a good analysis of their project with Open A.I.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Anyone ever think that in the Book of Revelation the AntiChrist and False prophet make the image of the beast which is an A.I.? "And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause all who do not worship the image of the beast to be killed" (Rev 13.15). I mean, A.I. only know what they are programmed to know.

Just a thought.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

It is amazing the way artificial intelligence has taken off. They are throwing number like $100 billion and $7 trillion for development costs...what the heck!

Humanity is punching out in so many different directions it is hard to keep up with the developments.

100% don't die. Get in shape and try to live as long as you can in good health. If scientists improve lifespan and healthspan by a significant amount maybe it will be affordable for everyone.

Life is getting interesting!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

You really need to follow and read software engineer Grady Booch's day to day thoughts regarding AI on Twitter. Grady Booch is world famous for his work in programming. Wikipedia page!

He does not think AI will soon be sentient, and dislikes AI development and the current path of throwing more money and compute power at AI is all wrong. Some of his statements are genius, others, not so much, but he's interesting nonetheless.

He leans way left in politics. I ignore his political commentary and read everything else. It's funny. It's enlightening. He's a grumpy old man, but with a ton of knowledge on computing.

Grady Booch on X
James Y

Post by James Y »

Personally, I'm not liking the over-reliance on AI that many have nowadays. There is much about AI I don't feel comfortable about, but there's nothing I can do about it, so there's no point in me worrying about some doomsday scenario. Someone can spend an entire lifetime fearing the End Times; and yet after they themselves pass on, the world continues on like it always has.

OTOH, AI is also a tool that can be useful at times. I use a minimal amount on Chat GPT to help me formulate some of the wording for my online business that I'm developing. I don't even always use the suggested wording it gives me, but it gives me some ideas I can build on. Otherwise, I don't really mess with it.

Jim
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I’d like to pose a question to you folks on a message from a company I received. I really wonder if it was a canned AI response.

I received an email last year from a well known company about my account. I don’t have an account with this company. They must be aware of bogus accounts being set up using others email addresses because on their website they give instructions on how to remove your email address. We went back and forth and I kept telling them to ban my email address from their website, computers, system, etc. They assured me my email address was deleted from that account.

Last week I received another email from the company about their new terms of service and privacy policy. (Yeah, right.)

I immediately went through the dance all over again to shut the account down-again. Along the way one message to me said, “Send us a photo of yourself or a picture of a piece of mail with your name on it so we can verify it’s really your account.

I’ve never had an account with them, they can't verify what they don’t have. Hence, I wouldn’t be able to shut it down.

I told them the above and asked if it was an AI generated message. Any human with two brain cells would know that’s no way to verify it’s my account. They went radio silent.

I went around all that and they’ve assured me (again) that my email address is no longer in their system.

Does it sound like AI got cross-threaded and asked me for the wrong info?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:36 pm
Personally, I'm not liking the over-reliance on AI that many have nowadays. There is much about AI I don't feel comfortable about, but there's nothing I can do about it, so there's no point in me worrying about some doomsday scenario. Someone can spend an entire lifetime fearing the End Times; and yet after they themselves pass on, the world continues on like it always has.

OTOH, AI is also a tool that can be useful at times. I use a minimal amount on Chat GPT to help me formulate some of the wording for my online business that I'm developing. I don't even always use the suggested wording it gives me, but it gives me some ideas I can build on. Otherwise, I don't really mess with it.

Jim

Jim

I personally don't worry about or put much thought into things that I can't personally change.

Doomsday?

Well all humans could be gone, will be gone some day and the Earth and life will continue on like humans were never here.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Pokey wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:01 pm
I’d like to pose a question to you folks on a message from a company I received. I really wonder if it was a canned AI response.

I received an email last year from a well known company about my account. I don’t have an account with this company. They must be aware of bogus accounts being set up using others email addresses because on their website they give instructions on how to remove your email address. We went back and forth and I kept telling them to ban my email address from their website, computers, system, etc. They assured me my email address was deleted from that account.

Last week I received another email from the company about their new terms of service and privacy policy. (Yeah, right.)

I immediately went through the dance all over again to shut the account down-again. Along the way one message to me said, “Send us a photo of yourself or a picture of a piece of mail with your name on it so we can verify it’s really your account.

I’ve never had an account with them, they can't verify what they don’t have. Hence, I wouldn’t be able to shut it down.

I told them the above and asked if it was an AI generated message. Any human with two brain cells would know that’s no way to verify it’s my account. They went radio silent.

I went around all that and they’ve assured me (again) that my email address is no longer in their system.

Does it sound like AI got cross-threaded and asked me for the wrong info?
Hackers phishing for info. I delete them every day without opening.

If you do not know the sender do not open the SMS or email, mark as spam and delete.

If it seems like you know who it is, a company or human, do not click on any links. Read the message, and if it seems fishy, delete it, do not respond.

Clicking on links or even opening an SMS message or email can infect your cell phone or computer. Disable loading of images, disable the downloading of files and images, disable javascript, use NoScript on your web browser and get an anti virus that protects email and SMS messages from hackers.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:16 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:36 pm

Jim

Jim

I personally don't worry about or put much thought into things that I can't personally change.

Doomsday?

Well all humans could be gone, will be gone some day and the Earth and life will continue on like humans were never here.

Jim
Jim,

Agreed.

Jim
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:22 pm

If you do not know the sender do not open the SMS or email, mark as spam and delete.

If it seems like you know who it is, a company or human, do not click on any links. Read the message, and if it seems fishy, delete it, do not respond.

Clicking on links or even opening an SMS message or email can infect your cell phone or computer. Disable loading of images, disable the downloading of files and images, disable javascript, use NoScript on your web browser and get an anti virus that protects email and SMS messages from hackers.
Nope, didn’t do any of that.

This was coming from a well known company. I went to their website and started the process of shutting down the account. They must know this happens because they have a process in place to do this when someone uses your email address and opens an account.

But I thought it was really odd that in one of their emails back to me they wanted me to send documentation or a photo to verify it was my account I was trying to shut down. And of course I wouldn’t be able to shut it down, like I said, they don’t have a picture of me. That seems like an a rookie AI mistake.

I guess if they don’t close this account I can always violate their community rules and be permanently banned 😉
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Pokey wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:50 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:22 pm

Nope, didn’t do any of that.

This was coming from a well known company. I went to their website and started the process of shutting down the account. They must know this happens because they have a process in place to do this when someone uses your email address and opens an account.

But I thought it was really odd that in one of their emails back to me they wanted me to send documentation or a photo to verify it was my account I was trying to shut down. And of course I wouldn’t be able to shut it down, like I said, they don’t have a picture of me. That seems like an a rookie AI mistake.

I guess if they don’t close this account I can always violate their community rules and be permanently banned 😉
It sounds like FaceBook.

FaceBook demanded an ID from me for posting a news story they did not like. Foolishly, I gave them the ID, then had a change of heart and closed my account. I still use Instagram for the cool car and MotoGP pictures and videos but I don't log in often.

IF IT'S FREE - THEN DATA COLLECTED ON YOU ARE THE ASSET THEY WANT
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I've written three novels that deal with AI out of control or the misuse of AI. I am not comforted by the technology, especially considering the kinds of people involved in their programming.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:37 pm
I've written three novels that deal with AI out of control or the misuse of AI. I am not comforted by the technology, especially considering the kinds of people involved in their programming.
I wanted to see where the artificial intel systems were on the political spectrum so I asked questions to try and narrow it down. They are way left of center and do not try to hide the fact.

I'm not going to go into the questions and responses here. Sal would not want that political discussion here. The systems respond, all that you have to do is pretend to be ignorant. Ask away and they will respond.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:57 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I wanted to see where the artificial intel systems were on the political spectrum so I asked questions to try and narrow it down. They are way left of center and do not try to hide the fact.

I'm not going to go into the questions and responses here. Sal would not want that political discussion here. The systems respond, all that you have to do is pretend to be ignorant. Ask away and they will respond.
Yes. Those who program them program them to be that way. I'm telling you, nothing good will come from this.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:40 pm
Naperville wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:57 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Yes. Those who program them program them to be that way. I'm telling you, nothing good will come from this.
Society is messed up already. AI may push it over the edge into the abyss.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

We seem to be a long way from an evil A.I. superintelligence that destroys humanity. My guess is humans will be the bigger problem for the forseeable future.

In the meantime, A.I. seems to be most useful at leveraging human work.

For example, Google DeepMind's AlphaFold project:

https://deepmind.google/technologies/alphafold/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

According to Microsoft, some countries have already begun using AI to sow division and antagonize.

China tests US voter fault lines and ramps AI content to boost its geopolitical interests.