Is this PM3 is real or fake?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
acarlsson918778

Is this PM3 is real or fake?

Post by acarlsson918778 »

Hi All, I just got this PM3 in the mail from an eBay seller and am worried that it's fake. The box is definitely a knockoff but the knife looks high quality (even if it is fake). My main concerns and red flags are the G-10 cutout around the compression lock and the edge of the flat grind between the sharpened part of the blade and the thicker blade stock. My EDC for the last 4 years has been a Spyderco Ambitious G-10, but that has been my only Spyderco until now so I don't have much reference other than what I can find online. Thanks for your help!

I already ordered a genuine replacement from Knife Joy. Their PM3 exclusives seem to be the cheapest available, I got the green G-10 with 20CV blade.
Attachments
IMG_5541.jpg
IMG_5538 2.jpg
IMG_5535 2.jpg
IMG_5533 2.jpg
IMG_5532 2.jpg
IMG_5529 2.jpg
Giygas

Re: Is this PM3 is real or fake?

Post by Giygas »

That's definitely fake.

That "high quality" feeling will fade almost immediately when your legit one arrives.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
acarlsson918778

Thanks Giygas. I sent the seller a return request and they’re refunding my money… and letting me keep the knife. So now I have a real and fake one. Still waiting for the Knife Joy exclusive to arrive. I may sell the fake and be upfront and honest about it, or I’ll just keep it as a garage thrasher.
raygixxer89

Post by raygixxer89 »

Oh my gosh! I had no idea how many fake Spydies are out there! I remember this being a thing when I was researching my Vallatton.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

There's plenty of fakes out there sadly. But once you start to really know Spyderco you tend to be able to discern fake from genuine pretty fast.

Happy that you got your refund AND managed to score a really nice Para 3 instead ! I don't have much examples of Spyderco's 20CV but if it is as good as on their Watu, it's an excellent stainless steel.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Ebay!

Old latin acronym for 'Somebody elses junk online'.
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
Nottoby

Post by Nottoby »

Is amazon a legit place to buy knives thanks
acarlsson918778

I got my 20CV Para 3 maybe a week ago now and have been carrying it since. The difference is knight and day! I haven't been able to sell off the fake yet - I found out eBay has a "no replicas" policy. So since I've been honest and upfront about the knife being a fake, the listing gets removed.
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

I’ve got a fake delica from eBay before. It was few years back, and there was no fus about the refund.
Spyderbot_matrix

Post by Spyderbot_matrix »

Gotta say it- Full price for one of these is Wrong. Not compatible with anything else spyderco pm3.

I have para 3’s in S45vn, 20cv and s110v. The counterfeits are something to behold honestly. Mine is exactly the same in the photos plus the lazer etching is deep. Just acquired one ($40) out of curiosity- 3 things I like to mention:

Blade’s thinner- edge geometry makes it psycho sharp. A quick strop and it’s popping hairs- a lot of stories about how the steel is legit s45vn but terrible HT to 9cr18mo(v) to 440c - time will tell

Light like a LW with g10 scales and you know the build quality is just not spyderco. But no wobble and blade is centered. Ball bearings instead of washers. The fit and finish is different from a spyderco, even the handle is smaller (by a little) and side to side comparison reveals it all. Biggest glaring thing is the neck behind the jimping doesn’t line up with the scales. So if someone sells it and shows it’s centered examine the pivot point.

… but it could give some Byrds and China spydercos a run for the money. And I don’t know how to feel about that. I’m gonna service it then run it into to ground.