The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shunsui

Re: The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Post by shunsui »

shunsui wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:53 pm
Ran a few Bess tests and got 84, 85, and best case 67, worst case 103.
Cut up a Safeway receipt with ease.
Ok, need to revise this a bit. First throw out the 67 as a flyer.

Next the 84 and 85 measurements were taken with the EOU Disposable Clips which give a reading that is ~80% of the reading with the spooled media. To convert a Test Clip measurement to a BESS measurement, you multiply the test clip result by (1.2).

84 x 1.2 = 100.8
85 x 1.2 = 102

The worst case measurement was taken with the BESS TM02 test media: 103

While this might seem a bit fussy, and you lose the sexy 84/85 values; it shows the three values measured were very repeatable: 101, 102, and 103.

These numbers represent the number of grams of pressure required to sever the test media with the cutting edge.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Fresh off the press and direct from SFO! Don’t think I’ve ever received a knife the same month it was built. What a knife, mine is flawless.

Just an early observation on the handle: despite carrying the aggressively textured G10 Siren for the past couple weeks this doesn’t feel any less grippy. Yes the surface is Spyderco’s more familiar “medium” peel-ply, but those grooves greatly increase the overall texture and there’s certainly no worries using in wet conditions. I’m not a huge fan the Caribbean’s “smoother” feel but I love this PM2 handle more than expected.

My first plain edge Magnacut; it feels like I’ve been anticipating this for quite a while and am not disappointed. One of the best things about getting older is learning patience. Never would have been satisfied with a competitor’s equivalent anyway; glad I waited for one with a Spydie on the blade.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Anyone know when the black and yellow will drop?
tzirconia

Post by tzirconia »

image.jpeg
I pre-ordered this PM2 Salt and it arrived last week. It's my first PM2 so I'm excited to put it to work. I thought I'd share a few initial observations in case they might be helpful for others considering this knife.
  • Mine arrived with very stiff action out of the box, so much so I couldn't open or close it with one hand. I backed out the pivot screw about 1/8 of a turn and now the action is great.
  • Since it came with the pocket clip in tip down position I thought I'd give that a try as I typically carry tip up. I tried it for about a week and while I didn't mind removing or deploying the knife in this configuration I did find the jimping on the thumb ramp a bit abrasive when reaching for other items deeper in pocket. I switched it to tip up carry and now it's great.
  • I really like the grippy texture of this G10 handle, it feels so solid in multiple grips.
  • With the texture of the G10 and where the pocket clip lands I do find deploying it out of pocket takes more force than I'm used to. Most of my Spydercos are Seki FRN knives so maybe that's not a fair comparison, maybe others with more experience with G10 handles can comment on how this knife compares. I don't find the friction to be too bad though, and I can always bend the clip out a bit if needed in the future.
  • The cutting performance is great :smlling-eyes
I'm really looking forward to using this PM2 and am happy I took the plunge for the Magnacut version.

tzirconia
Optimus Cultro

Post by Optimus Cultro »

I have a number of PM2s and have been carrying a PM2 more than anything else lately. A salt PM2 has been something I wished existed for a little g time. I hope to pick one up at some point.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

shunsui wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:19 am
shunsui wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:53 pm
Ran a few Bess tests and got 84, 85, and best case 67, worst case 103.
Cut up a Safeway receipt with ease.
Ok, need to revise this a bit. First throw out the 67 as a flyer.

Next the 84 and 85 measurements were taken with the EOU Disposable Clips which give a reading that is ~80% of the reading with the spooled media. To convert a Test Clip measurement to a BESS measurement, you multiply the test clip result by (1.2).

84 x 1.2 = 100.8
85 x 1.2 = 102

The worst case measurement was taken with the BESS TM02 test media: 103

While this might seem a bit fussy, and you lose the sexy 84/85 values; it shows the three values measured were very repeatable: 101, 102, and 103.

These numbers represent the number of grams of pressure required to sever the test media with the cutting edge.
I'd be happy with 103 any day of the week. I always try to get sub100 with my own sharpening. But I'd be happy with anything under 130 for my own use. And 103 on a factory edge?

*Chefs Kiss* :1stplace:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
LAASF

Post by LAASF »

I've been eagerly refreshing the Spyderco webpage every day, anxiously waiting for the Bumblebee PM2 to drop. The anticipation is real! :star-struck

I'm truly excited about this release, and I'm really hoping not to miss out on snagging one from the first batch. Here's to hoping everything goes smoothly! :bug-red-white
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Excitedly went to my mailbox Saturday to pick up mine that USPS delivered mid-afternoon, only to discover they delivered into someone else’s mailbox. Left a note for the mail person to try to track it down, but my guess is someone else might be enjoying it now. Please be on the lookout for anyone trying to sell the CC 087V on eBay if it doesn’t show up. Fingers crossed it will.

Update: Found it! Tracked down the mailman who had delivered it to my neighbor but they thankfully hadn’t picked up their mail yet (we have a common neighborhood mailbox area like apartment complexes have, which I’m not a big fan of). Love the G10 milling on this one but boy is the pivot and action tight!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
tzirconia

Post by tzirconia »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:00 pm
Excitedly went to my mailbox Saturday to pick up mine that USPS delivered mid-afternoon, only to discover they delivered into someone else’s mailbox. Left a note for the mail person to try to track it down, but my guess is someone else might be enjoying it now. Please be on the lookout for anyone trying to sell the CC 087V on eBay if it doesn’t show up. Fingers crossed it will.

Update: Found it! Tracked down the mailman who had delivered it to my neighbor but they thankfully hadn’t picked up their mail yet (we have a common neighborhood mailbox area like apartment complexes have, which I’m not a big fan of). Love the G10 milling on this one but boy is the pivot and action tight!
Glad yours found its way home 👍

I'm curious if others found the pivot and action tight on their PM2 salt? I thought mine might be an exception but after reading this maybe not. At any rate I'm happy with it after backing out the pivot screw a little.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

tzirconia wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:47 pm
I'm curious if others found the pivot and action tight on their PM2 salt? I thought mine might be an exception but after reading this maybe not. At any rate I'm happy with it after backing out the pivot screw a little.
Mine was loose enough out of the box to thumb flick it open, and it will fall closed.

The pocket clip seems extra strong, like many recent knives. They must have figured out how to bend those perfectly.
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

In the end I didn't wind up keeping mine. Don't think it was any failing of this particular version of the knife, I just don't seem to gel with this combo of blade shape and lock. Probably the last of the military line I will buy at this point.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

shunsui wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:20 pm
tzirconia wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:47 pm
Mine was loose enough out of the box to thumb flick it open, and it will fall closed.

The pocket clip seems extra strong, like many recent knives. They must have figured out how to bend those perfectly.
Mine was probably the tightest of any pm2. I tweaked the pivot is fine now.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Mine was perfect.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Coelho

Post by Coelho »

Peel ply (PP) question here. I thought that the adhesive surface of PP was textured and designed to impart that texture to the underlying G10. So if the PP is left on is the gripyness of the slides conferred by the milled herringbone pattern? TIA, mine hasn't arrived yet.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Coelho:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

The scales start off as peel-ply-textured G-10. The Caribbean Bi-Directional Texture pattern is machined into them. The top ply is then peeled off to reveal the "standard" peel-ply texture on the top surface. As such, it has the benefits of both.

Stay safe,

Mike
Coelho

Post by Coelho »

Mike:

Thank you.

Paul
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

IMG_7174.jpeg
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Mine was a little tight in the pivot on arrival but I’ve learned to leave it alone and it’ll loosen with use. Sure enough, it’s smoothed out over the past week and has great action now. That’s been my experience with a lot of coated blades and I’ve come to expect it.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm
Mine was a little tight in the pivot on arrival but I’ve learned to leave it alone and it’ll loosen with use. Sure enough, it’s smoothed out over the past week and has great action now. That’s been my experience with a lot of coated blades and I’ve come to expect it.
So the coating helps with the action? I haven’t been a huge fan of coatings in the past but a warming up to them.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia