New Manix 2 with Uneven Bevel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: New Manix 2 with Uneven Bevel

Post by Notsurewhy »

Flash wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:06 pm
You can only get away with poorly finished bevels, blade play, lock rock and generally poorly administered quality control for so long.
The enthusiasts may just about be able to tolerate the price hikes, but if the quality of the finished product declines at the same time, people will walk away.

When exactly did it become acceptable to sell a $200 knife with uneven bevels?
When Spyderco decided to be the only ones selling S110v for $200 or less? Stryder used to sell s110v models for close to $500, I don't know if they still make them or not. No one else is even trying except some custom makers.

Not that the bevels shouldn't be even, I just thought the $200 comment needed context. It's like complaining about your $70k Corvette that's faster than $140k Porsche because the interior stitching is a bit crooked on the Chevy.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:01 pm
Flash wrote:
You can only get away with poorly finished bevels, blade play, lock rock and generally poorly administered quality control for so long.
The enthusiasts may just about be able to tolerate the price hikes, but if the quality of the finished product declines at the same time, people will walk away.

When Spyderco decided to be the only ones selling S110v for $200 or less? Stryder used to sell s110v models for close to $500, I don't know if they still make them or not. No one else is even trying except some custom makers.

Not that the bevels shouldn't be even, I just thought the $200 comment needed context. It's like complaining about your $70k Corvette that's faster than $140k Porsche because the interior stitching is a bit crooked on the Chevy.
So what you are saying is that because Spyderco make them out of S110v and charge less than another manufacturers S110v, it’s perfectly ok for a customer to expect a blade that hasn’t been finished properly?

To continue with your tenuous car analogy it would be more like buying a new Corvette with the “check engine” light flashing. Chevy then says we leave that bit to the customer to figure out because our car is cheaper than Porsche.

Nothing is going to convince me that its unreasonable to expect a small amount of quality control get thrown at a knife costing $200, regardless of the steel the blade is and regardless of who else makes blades in that same steel.
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

I once received a knife I was unhappy with and contacted the dealer.
They said no problem, and sent me a return shipping label pronto. I put it on their box and got a full credit for another knife.
Easy peasy.
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Flash wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:17 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:01 pm
Flash wrote:

So what you are saying is that because Spyderco make them out of S110v and charge less than another manufacturers S110v, it’s perfectly ok for a customer to expect a blade that hasn’t been finished properly?

To continue with your tenuous car analogy it would be more like buying a new Corvette with the “check engine” light flashing. Chevy then says we leave that bit to the customer to figure out because our car is cheaper than Porsche.

Nothing is going to convince me that its unreasonable to expect a small amount of quality control get thrown at a knife costing $200, regardless of the steel the blade is and regardless of who else makes blades in that same steel.
I said the bevels should be even. But no company is perfect. Every manufacturer is going to have a QA miss sometimes. To me an uneven edge bevel is not a check engine light, to you it may be. Luckily Spyderco has very good warranty support (dunno for sure myself, never had to use it).

When literally no one else is working with a steel because it's fussy and difficult to grind and finish, I give the manufacturer a little more leeway. You are perfectly within your rights to expect perfection in a $200 knife that no one else will make for less than $500.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Last edited by Erich on Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Here is the bent k390 Delica wharncliff blade and the overground Military. The military is the factory edge that's been sharpened a few times with a medium ceramic.
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

I’m not sure why keep a product one deems defective. Returns are usually very simple.

It appears that the major reason to do so is so one has something to complain about later on internets.

Also, uneven bevel is ok. Few sharpenings later it’ll even out.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Your knife was sharpened on the day that Johnson from maintenance came by to try his hand on the grinder.

Seriously, I don't see this often, but sometimes I have. Unless it is egregious, I wouldn't worry about it. Just reset it as you normally would and use it like it was intended.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

Erich wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm
Mat_ski wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm
I’m not sure why keep a product one deems defective. Returns are usually very simple.

It appears that the major reason to do so is so one has something to complain about later on internets.

Gotta love the shills around here.
So who’s the hawker?
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Erich wrote:
Mat_ski wrote:

@Erich Why are you flaming this guy? Please review the forum rules and try not to be rude, and don't derail every thread with your complaints about Spyderco pricing and quality.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

:index-finger :index-finger :index-finger
Erich

Post by Erich »

spydergoat wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 pm
Erich wrote:
Mat_ski wrote:

@Erich Why are you flaming this guy? Please review the forum rules and try not to be rude, and don't derail every thread with your complaints about Spyderco pricing and quality.
Implying that bent blades, overground edges, or crooked bevels are just a matter of perception and that the buyer should just shut up and take it because....muh Spyderco is itself insulting.

Have fun with your echo chamber. You are cheerleaders. Nothing more.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Erich wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 pm
spydergoat wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 pm
Erich wrote:
Mat_ski wrote:

Implying that bent blades, overground edges, or crooked bevels are just a matter of perception and that the buyer should just shut up and take it because....muh Spyderco is itself insulting.

Have fun with your echo chamber. You are cheerleaders. Nothing more.
Nobody implied that or thinks that. But since you despise this forum and it's users... I guess you have no reason to waste your time around here then.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Honestly Erich, why do even hang around here?? Honest question? I know I'm not a beaming ray of positivity myself, but man...you just seem miserable. Never have ANYTHING nice to say to anybody or about Spyderco. It's like hating a particular food, but you keep eating it and coming back for more...doesn't make any sense.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick