Forum Maintenance & Moving

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
Wartstein

Re: Forum Maintenance & Moving

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:45 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:38 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:25 pm
Me too...

I see and respect where Ladybug 93 is coming from, but I personally really hope for NOlikebutton too.

This forum is literally the only social media place I am on - not only "active", I am not even passively watching / following other platforms, never had an instagram or facebook account and so on.

But what I gather when talking to friends: The like button thing is not really desirable on a place like this....
For one I´d fear that there slowly could be a shift to people (perhaps just "unconciously") "shaping" their comments more towards getting likes, and then I think it is better for a good, meaningful discussion IF someone actually has to take the time, effort and thoughts to really reply instead of "just" click a button.

My 2c, and I may be oldschool... ;)
i just want to like your photos without having to create a whole post. :winking-tongue

Well, this almost makes me reconsider.... ;) :grin-smiling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

Server moves are always exciting! I have a love/hate relationship with them. I hate doing them but usually love the results.

Any hopes of TapaTalk support in the future?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Mushroom wrote:
#TeamNoLikeButton
So.. where can I click to like this? ^

Joking aside, a like-button wouldn't bother me one way or the other, but a mora stable forum would be a win for sure.
The disappointment when you've filled up your first coffee mug in the morning, sit down to enjoy some alone time on the forum while there's still some peace and quiet in the house ...and BOOM - "General error".
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:06 am
Mushroom wrote:
#TeamNoLikeButton

Joking aside, a like-button wouldn't bother me one way or the other, but a mora stable forum would be a win for sure.
The disappointment when you've filled up your first coffee mug in the morning, sit down to enjoy some alone time on the forum while there's still some peace and quiet in the house ...and BOOM - "General error".

That general error thing is not a sign of instability: Each day (in the US actually night, so when the forum is not highly attended) at the exact same time this happens deliberately for a few minutes, I guess for maintenance reasons...
In my (and I guess also your) timezone this is always at 9 am.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:14 am
aicolainen wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
#TeamNoLikeButton

That general error thing is not a sign of instability: Each day (in the US actually night, so when the forum is not highly attended) at the exact same time this happens deliberately for a few minutes, I guess for maintenance reasons...
So there's a very rigid pattern, and somehow I've failed to recognize it. That's a bit embarrassing :) Well, my mind doesn't perform well before coffee, and since this happens around coffee time, that could be the explanation right there. It will be my excuse anyway :winking-tongue
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:37 am
Wartstein wrote:
aicolainen wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
#TeamNoLikeButton
So there's a very rigid pattern, and somehow I've failed to recognize it. That's a bit embarrassing :) Well, my mind doesn't perform well before coffee, and since this happens around coffee time, that could be the explanation right there. It will be my excuse anyway :winking-tongue

Somewhere Krisit explained what that routinely "general error" pattern is about - can´t recall exactly though. I checked: It should be always 9 am in your place too (and last only a few minutes at max).

... and 9 am being your (first..) coffe time probably means you´re not as much of an early bird as I am... to me this is rather second breakfast time.. ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:12 am
Mushroom wrote:
#TeamNoLikeButton
I'm with you. I know it's been requested for years but I can only see it decreasing conversation.
I also agree. I just recently joined BladeForums so I can try and sell some of my knives. I've posted a few photos in the general forums, and appreciate that people "like" them, I honestly do. I've been seeing around 30 likes on my photos and many other peoples photos, but there really isn't much conversation happening over there.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

JayHenMac wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:37 am
I hope not. Modern forum software works so well in browsers, no need for an app that deliberately makes using the forum in browsers less enjoyable via constant nag screens.
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:53 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:07 pm
See you on the other side!!!
:rofl I was thinking "Catch you on the flip side" from Boondocks Saints.
Yes! :winking-tongue
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

benja-man wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm
JayHenMac wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:37 am
I hope not. Modern forum software works so well in browsers, no need for an app that deliberately makes using the forum in browsers less enjoyable via constant nag screens.
Exactly - no! That's a different platform different intention. Us old guys don't want it (over 35) hah
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:25 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:45 am
Mushroom wrote:
Me too...

I see and respect where Ladybug 93 is coming from, but I personally really hope for NOlikebutton too.

This forum is literally the only social media place I am on - not only "active", I am not even passively watching / following other platforms, never had an instagram or facebook account and so on.

But what I gather when talking to friends: The like button thing is not really desirable on a place like this....
For one I´d fear that there slowly could be a shift to people (perhaps just "unconciously") "shaping" their comments more towards getting likes, and then I think it is better for a good, meaningful discussion IF someone actually has to take the time, effort and thoughts to really reply instead of "just" click a button.

My 2c, and I may be oldschool... ;)
i just want to like your photos without having to create a whole post. :winking-tongue

Well, this almost makes me reconsider.... ;) :grin-smiling-eyes
Totally agreed and sorry for the multiple posts. It's human nature. Psychology and sociology. Instead of trying to change people, understand them 😉🙃 If only... Hah.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:10 am
aicolainen wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:37 am
Wartstein wrote:
aicolainen wrote:

Somewhere Krisit explained what that routinely "general error" pattern is about - can´t recall exactly though. I checked: It should be always 9 am in your place too (and last only a few minutes at max).

... and 9 am being your (first..) coffe time probably means you´re not as much of an early bird as I am... to me this is rather second breakfast time.. ;)
Admittedly I'm not the earliest bird in the forest, but it's not too bad either - I think :)
Still this is mostly just relevant in the weekends, when no activity is planned from the morning, and I can start the day with some quiet alone time before the rest of my family wakes up (even less early birds than me) and chaos ensues. While I don't have a rigid routine on such days, my first coffee seems to have coincided surprisingly often with the "general error"/regular maintenance routine.

Weekdays are a different story altogether, and I may not have time to visit the forum at all, even though I get up quite early and don't even eat until lunch time. Most days have been like this lately, but on slower days I'll usually drop by the forum during office hours, if my schedule permits. And it may or may not coincide with my coffee
:winking-tongue

Well, now that all my coffee routines seems to be out in the public domain, I'm sure @TazKristi will take this into account when they configure the new server, and it should all be a thing of the past
:smlling-eyes
Danke

Post by Danke »

Sure hope the quote button gets updated as part of this. The current quote 20 posts in tiresome.