Helle Nord

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Helle Nord

Post by MacLaren »

I've always really liked Helle of Norway. I really liked the Jegermester I had. Helle's always have beautiful wood too. Mostly Curly Birch but, also some Beech wood as well and, maybe even more pieces that Im not aware of.
Helle's also come with a very nice leather sheath too.

But, what really caught my eye with this Nord, is that it's a full tang knife. The blade steel is 14C28N. Now, I think Helle has another full tang knife like the Nord, except smaller but, similar. I can't remember the name of it either.
At any rate, it seems Helle came out with the Nord over a year or more ago and even longer ago with the smaller full tang blade they have. I've evidently been behind the times as far as Helle goes.

I first saw the Helle Nord in an email thru Knives Ship Free (KSF) - When I first saw it, I loved it. You knkw how it is...sometimes you see something and you know you want it. But before I committed to buying I wanted to see some reviews on this knife.
Glad I did. The Nord has gotten some really good reviews. I was really glad to see it handle batonning and other stressful duties very easily.
And, I can tell ya, she feels fantastic in hand.
The blade length is right at 6" I believe. And, as mentioned the ergos are great.
Although, the Nord didn't come as nearly sharp as the Jegermester did all those years ago. But, that's very easily remedied.

Thus far I really like this knife & sheath a lot!
The only thing I've done thus far is add a little Walnut Oil to the Curly Birch Scales (Mahoneys Walnut Oil) and I'll wax them with Meguiars Ultimate Wax tomorrow. Below is some pics of when I got her and before and after pics of the Walnut Oil.
TomAiello

Re: Helle Nord

Post by TomAiello »

Helle makes great knives.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:59 am
Helle makes great knives.
Thanks Tom. I agree. They really do.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Btw, I'm just gonna use this Sno Seal I have for waxing the scales.
I'm not gonna go out and buy Meguiars Ultimate Wax.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

All done & with Wicked Wax applied to the blade
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Very nice Helle , I saw them at KSF too . I like your handle work too . Looks comfortable in hand . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:47 pm
Very nice Helle , I saw them at KSF too . I like your handle work too . Looks comfortable in hand . Dan
Thanks Dan 😎
Yes, it's actually very comfy. I really like it a lot, Dan.
Ya know, I just got thru touching it up on a Ceramic Rod (SharpMaker) and, she's screamin sharp now.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

😆 - this Helle Nord is WICKED
It go soooo sharp just from a few strokes on a SharpMaker Rod.... this is a fine blade fellas...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I love the aesthetic of a Helle. The way they wrap some of their handles with the leather I believe? So many of them feel incredible in the hand, and I love the old Nordic style sheaths.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:03 pm
I love the aesthetic of a Helle. The way they wrap some of their handles with the leather I believe? So many of them feel incredible in the hand, and I love the old Nordic style sheaths.
Jeff, they did such a great job with the Nord.
I like it much better than the Jegermester even.
Feels so good on hand.
As for the sheath, they look fantastic & I like you, love the Nordic style. However, this sheath isn't really that good to be honest . And, don't take me wrong, I'm not complaining- a thicker sheath would be better but, the price would definitely be higher.
Just sayin that one wrong move and that blade would go thru that thin leather like it was warm butter. Which, is super dangerous.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

As a Norwegian I feel a bit guilty for not doing more to support and promote my home team, but there has to be a need - I can't go shopping just to be supportive.

Anyhow - the Helle Nord is a beautiful knife and a capable one that has got lots of good feedback from fellow Norwegian knife enthusiasts.
As much as I like the looks, I think I'll have to pass on the Nord as well. However, a picture from Helle's stand at the ISPO trade fair in Munich grabbed my attention. It looks like a smaller Nord is in the pipeline. In some ways it looks like a very different knife with a thinner blade stock, but that's also what I find appealing about it. Look forward to more specs and official photos to come out.

Oh, and Helle actually has a couple of full tang knives, there's an overview here: https://no.helle.com/collections/fulltange
It's in Norwegian, not sure if there's an English version somewhere, but it will at least show you the model names and pictures.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone have the Mandra in flat grind?
Last edited by TomAiello on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Beautiful knife Mac, thanks for sharing. I’d love to own a Helle knife at some point, but haven’t found the right one. The Nord is a good option, I think - somewhat of a Leuku.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RLR

Post by RLR »

I have a few - Raud M, Fjellkniven, Nying, and my newest Kletten. All great, but the small ones in laminated steel are amazing. Helle has nailed comfort and ergonomics like few others, and their blades are screaming sharp. Go check out the little guys in the line.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RLR wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:10 am
I have a few - Raud M, Fjellkniven, Nying, and my newest Kletten. All great, but the small ones in laminated steel are amazing. Helle has nailed comfort and ergonomics like few others, and their blades are screaming sharp. Go check out the little guys in the line.
Yeah, I noticed the laminated ones the other day. That's good to hear. I'll check one out when I can.
Thanks for the 411 😎
RLR

Post by RLR »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:32 am
RLR wrote:
Yeah, I noticed the laminated ones the other day. That's good to hear. I'll check one out when I can.
Thanks for the 411 😎
Kletten in use
IMG_1681.jpeg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RLR wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:47 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:32 am
RLR wrote:
Thanks for the 411 😎
Kletten in use

IMG_1681.jpeg
I'm actually thinking thinking about the Bleja!