I don't care about stainless *Edited

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albertaboyscott

Re: I don't give a #@$! about stainless

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Lol. "Real men"
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I honestly can’t tell any difference, whatsoever, in any remotely modern steels, as my knives’ “uses” never begin to approach the limits of their materials. I suppose I’m not a “real man” either (not that I care), because my knives are overwhelmingly pocket jewelry and fidget toys. I’ve never even come close to dulling a factory edge, which is a good thing because I’m not to be trusted with sharpening tools. Or any other tools for that matter. Ultimately, though, I value qualities like corrosion resistance the most, because I’m not going to pay much attention to oiling, etc.
Last edited by Fine Swine on Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:57 am

Word.

Is there anything in my name that would make anyone think I'm a fan of stainless? Anyone ever machine stainless? It's awful. Anyone ever get slivers of stainless under their skin? It's awful. Why would anyone want their knife to look like pots and pans?

Real men do real work in real shops with tool steel. Real men harvest herbs from their gardens with tool steel. Real men remove the foil from their wine bottle with tool steel. Real men open Amazon boxes with tool steel. In a modified game of paper/scissors/rock, tool steel cuts stainless.

That's all well and fine, but what about us Real men that like to use the perfect reflection of our highly polished stainless blades to apply our makeup and such... Can't do that with rusty old tool steels can you?
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

IMG_6597.jpeg
Goin to my herb garden
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I'm a real man, and I'm OK
I sleep all night, I work all day
I use tool steels, I wear high heels
suspenders and a bra

(no offense meant to any toolerooes)
Last edited by spydergoat on Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’m one who prefer high carbon content tool steels most of the time, as I don’t really sweat much on my knives nor am I around a humid or salty environments for extended times. I don’t mind taking extra of my blades and wiping them down after using them either, And I also love the looks of a subtle patina gathered on a blade over time.
:bug-red-white
GT99

Post by GT99 »

I used to say Magnacut is overrated all the time but while I think it still might be a little meaning its overhyped some, Ive come to realize that its just something that I dont need because the tool steels are far better in the areas that I need and corrosion resistance is of zero importance to ME, but I also think Maxamet is not for me as its just too brittle and I have tougher steels that still have amazing edge retention. However I have chaged my mind a bit on how good Magnacut will be for some people, it absolutely is the next best thing for those who do need that corrosion resistance, those people who only use the salt line because of what they use their knives for it is a huge game changer for them, spyderco adding it to the salt line is the best thing they could do for their customers and really for their business as its a smart move. I might even grab one myself now just to have one to try out and I can just throw that knife in my tacklebox and not worry about it next time I open it and see its rusted to **** like so many other things ive thrown in there (I clean my knives I carry but when I do fishing anything that goes into the tacklebox after is not wiped down or cleaned, just thrown back in wet)
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:10 am
Having a stainless steel that is the ballpark equivalent of M4/4V is pretty awesome if you ask me... but that's just, like, my opinion.

I love what the crazy cool tool steels like 15V and K390 do, but I also love the worry free performance of a stainless steel like MagnaCut for certain situations.

Do we really have to talk trash about steels that don't fit our personal expectations for performance? I enjoy the variety and even if I've found steels that I don't personally like, there are plenty out there who do like them and that is just fine.
^^^^This. Also agree with JSumm, in the salt series, if it outperforms in toughness and edge retention, and has similar corrosion resistance, count me in.

I love K390, Love ZDP, love Cru-Wear and M4... Lots of steels to like. But I also like that my Salt knives get carried when I'm in the water and I don't have to worry. The fact that in my experience and for my uses, Magnacut is equally resistant as H1 but has way better edge retention in a PE, what's not to like? Keep em coming.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

kobold wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:52 pm
Do we really need even more excuses to carry two or three knives?
Many EDC a separate knife for food.
I don't need excuses. It just comes naturally. ;)

I like to carry one or two in a pocket and some more in a bag. That lets me have a little variety. After all, a Chap and a SAK only have partial overlap.
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

I like to spend a week or more at a time in Florida fishing on the coast or vacationing on the beach... Have been known to spend 80% of the days of Spring months doing that from my RV
When it gets too hot for that in July and August and September. I'm in the north Georgia mountains hiking camping, trout fishing etc...
D2s and some other tool steels can't hack it. Shot after a couple years.
In my age and wisdom ( :winking-tongue ) i've learned to leave them behind and depend on more stainless steel. All in this spring with new LC200N, and Magnacut models and caint wait for the new Salt Magnacuts...
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I guess I'm just a tool :winking-tongue, because I don't value corrosion resistance in my steel preferences at all, but that's because I enjoy a good patina (to help cover up the scratches from my shaky hand sharpening). However, I do value the innovation which is driven by the need for improving corrosion resistance in combination with other steel attributes. For my personal preferences, it's wear resistance and strength all day; toughness is important too, and I value it as well, but it's not necessarily the top attribute in a folder like it might be in a fixed blade.

...but if Spyderco feels like putting LC200N on the Street Beat LW 2.0 with thinner blade stock, I'm not going to say no. I'd still prefer k390 or rex45/hap40 at high hardness though.
--Jeremy
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

z1r wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:56 pm
Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:10 am
Having a stainless steel that is the ballpark equivalent of M4/4V is pretty awesome if you ask me... but that's just, like, my opinion.

I love what the crazy cool tool steels like 15V and K390 do, but I also love the worry free performance of a stainless steel like MagnaCut for certain situations.

Do we really have to talk trash about steels that don't fit our personal expectations for performance? I enjoy the variety and even if I've found steels that I don't personally like, there are plenty out there who do like them and that is just fine.
^^^^This. Also agree with JSumm, in the salt series, if it outperforms in toughness and edge retention, and has similar corrosion resistance, count me in.

I love K390, Love ZDP, love Cru-Wear and M4... Lots of steels to like. But I also like that my Salt knives get carried when I'm in the water and I don't have to worry. The fact that in my experience and for my uses, Magnacut is equally resistant as H1 but has way better edge retention in a PE, what's not to like? Keep em coming.
I agree with these thoughts . No way am I going to draw a line in the sand and only use one type of steel over another . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

^^Variety is the spice of life. :zany
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

spydergoat wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:52 pm
I'm a real man, and I'm OK
I sleep all night, I work all day
I use tool steels, I wear high heels
suspenders and a bra

LOL! This man knows his Python.
Well I always carry two; a tool steel in my purse and a stainless in my garter belt.
Just like my dear ma-mah!

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Stainless is great when you get soaked outside in the rain and you still keep working. Also great when you're cutting something moist and don't have to immediately look for something to dry your knife off with.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

What a terrific crowd. Can I get a www-waaa-What What?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

You kids are cracking me up. Stainless helps in applying makeup? Dancing around in women's clothing? I guess the bottom line is that playing with knives is fun, and we can laugh and make jokes while doing so.

🤩🔪🃏🗡️😉
cjk

Post by cjk »

I think that Spyderco's making all their Magnacut models as salts was a bold and super smart move.

Salt knives seems to be the right niche for Magnacut.

According to Larrin's own articles, Magnacut has a great balance, but not more edge retention than S30V (for example) nor more toughness than Cruwear (again, just for example).

However, compared to the other Salt steels, it really is an edge retention star and stainless enought to be used in a Salt, so that seems to be a perfect use for it.

I like stainless steels and not stainless steels. They all have their purposes.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

I like a nice patina on some carbon steel. I also like stainless steels too. They each have their places. Fortunately for me, it's not too humid where I live, so I can enjoy all kinds of steels. I don't have any kind of 'hard use' requirements in life, I'm mostly a city boy who goes outside when he can, so I have no actual _need_ for all these different types of steels, they're just fun.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I live in a tropical country, and I have carbon steel choppers that rust in storage even when I apply a protective coating to it.

I wait for the day when production choppers like the Esee Junglas will be made with MagnaCut and won't cost an arm and a leg to buy.