Would this work, Wharncliff Manix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brant

Would this work, Wharncliff Manix?

Post by Brant »

I’m thinking that a Wharncliff blade in a Manix would not only look good but be at a good cutter too. I’m not that big of a Wharncliff fan but I think it would work. In the past here (2020?) this idea was brought up in a post but wanting it as a Salt. Salt or not, am I crazy?
Mushroom

Re: Would this work, Wharncliff Manix?

Post by Mushroom »

A wharncliffe Manix could work but I would question Spyderco’s willingness to produce it.
-Nick :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I can’t see why it wouldn’t. But I don’t think every knife needs every kind of variation like this. Spyderco is already producing many models in this size range with true wharncliffe edges
:bug-red-white
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would have to agree with Nick , I personally don’t see it happening. Would I like a Wharnie Manix , absolutely but have to be realistic . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I know they just had to discontinue a lot of Wharncliffes due to slow sales... but hear me out, I love Caged Ball Bearing locks and the manix platform in general. I would buy one of these.

If the Q-ball had been U.S. made (to keep the cost down) and more importantly had been a 'Caged' ball bearing lock. I'd own two of them. For me at least it wasn't a lack of desire for a CBBL Wharncliffe. I just couldn't talk myself into paying the Seki G-10 Premium for a lock style that I don't like( uncaged ball bearing) (same reason I don't carry my dodo's as much as I would if they were cbbl).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

It would a Sheepsfoot work?
GT99

Post by GT99 »

This would be incredible as Wharncliffes are my favorite blades, but I highly doubt they will do it for the reasons others have said, not sure why the sales are slow, maybe people just havent actually used one to see for themselves Im not sure. The PM2 exclusive wharncliffe is incredible as is the regular PM2 so same as the manix, its amazing already and a wharncliffe would make it that much better in my eyes, especially as most wharncliffes dont have the more solid feel like the manix handle does or a shaman type heavy duty feel. I also doubt it as aside from the lock mechanism being very different the full liner solid feel the Canis kinda reminds me of a manix type wharncliffe, the grip ergos and overall size feels similar to the manix IMO.

Id still buy one in a heartbeat and who knows, maybe one of the dealers like cutlery shoppe will eventually make an exclusive with the wharncliffe on the manix like they did with the PM2 (hint hint Jeff)
Brant

Post by Brant »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:04 pm
It would a Sheepsfoot work?
Flat straight edge blade, sure! Or a reverse Tanto.
Last edited by Brant on Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brant

Post by Brant »

Not bad considering the blade shape they started with. I like it!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Shoot, I've got a Maxamet LW that's getting pretty close from sharpening.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:19 pm
I can’t see why it wouldn’t. But I don’t think every knife needs every kind of variation like this. Spyderco is already producing many models in this size range with true wharncliffe edges

Generally I am with you...

But with the Manix being the only CBBL Spydie really available, I think it would profit from more variety also in the edge shape / configuration arena (so wharnie, full SE).

It definitely has that variety already when it comes to steel and since it comes in "heavy" linered G10 and light, linerless FRCP.

For those who for whatever reason (though I can´t see none :winking-tongue ) don´t like backlocks, the CBBL brings things to the table linerlock and comp.lock don´t, like the stronger closing bias, the ambidextrous nature, the imo better ergos.

So I think more choices would be nice (actually also concerning models, but starting with blade shapes would not hurt either ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:07 pm
A wharncliffe Manix could work but I would question Spyderco’s willingness to produce it.

Re-using a pic Vivi posted in another thread: I am sure too it could work, but they´d probably have modify the backspacer at least in the lightweight so that the wharnie-blade would fit in properly.

Don´t know about the situation with the G10 version, probably "better" (open back).

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Because some guy made poor sharpening choices, I own a wharncliffe Manix.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Both bigbrownbear's and outdoor55's manix are pretty much wharncliffe after all the testing they've done for their YouTube channels
Brant

Post by Brant »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:26 pm
Mushroom wrote:

Re-using a pic Vivi posted in another thread: I am sure too it could work, but they´d probably have modify the backspacer at least in the lightweight so that the wharnie-blade would fit in properly.

Don´t know about the situation with the G10 version, probably "better" (open back).

From the looks of it a slight redesign could be possible, and obviously cheaper than a from the ground up new knife. Unfortunately the market hasn’t been kind to the Spyderco Wharnies lately, so this is more of a wish list item. Maybe a small sprint run? Would this sell 600? I’m down for one!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The lightweight model would likely need new molds made. It would be expensive but not impossible. New molds don’t lend themselves well to small runs either. They would likely have to commit to a large run if they made new FRN molds.

The G10 model would probably be easier to accommodate a wharncliffe without much handle modification.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Brant wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:35 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:26 pm
Mushroom wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/nhgyyYC6/we6f4utyt48c1.png
From the looks of it a slight redesign could be possible, and obviously cheaper than a from the ground up new knife. Unfortunately the market hasn’t been kind to the Spyderco Wharnies lately, so this is more of a wish list item. Maybe a small sprint run? Would this sell 600? I’m down for one!
The lightweight model would likely need new molds made. It would be expensive but not impossible. New molds don’t lend themselves well to small runs either. They would likely have to commit to a large run if they made new FRN molds.

The G10 model would probably be easier to accommodate a wharncliffe without much handle modification.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:21 pm

Yes, and this most likely rules out a lightweight Manix wharnie...

Already "just" putting a wharncliffe blade in an already existing handle turned out not to be as successfull as Spyderco appearantly had hoped (as other models show)... so actually having to invest in new molds, just for one different blade shape variant, is probably not an option...
Danke

Post by Danke »

How about this with a new lock?