Native Chief in 204P/20CV/M390/S110V/S45VN/MagnaCut

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Native Chief in 204P/20CV/M390/S110V/S45VN/MagnaCut

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image M390 , MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:34 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:21 pm
I'm not flush with money to burn but hope that we have not seen the end of Native Chief model. If the models come out slowly, I'll keep buying or ask my Secret Santa if he can pick one up for me to buy from him.

I'd love to see a Native Chief in 204P/20CV/M390/S110V/S45VN/Magnacut!!! I have not had my fill of these 4 inch wonders.

What say you all?
How psyched are you about the new product release? Lets see, there was a recent sprint run NC M390, and now MC and LC200N. I was looking for s110v NC and found this thread. did you pick up the m390? I may have to...
Yes, I have 2 - M390 Native Chiefs so far and I want backups. I wish that I could afford 10 of each, stick them in a drawer near the door, and grab a recently sharpened one as I walk out.

There was a sprint run for a Native Chief in MC and LC200n? I did not see that.....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:39 am
alphaneuron9 wrote:
Naperville wrote:
I'm not flush with money to burn but hope that we have not seen the end of Native Chief model. If the models come out slowly, I'll keep buying or ask my Secret Santa if he can pick one up for me to buy from him.

I'd love to see a Native Chief in 204P/20CV/M390/S110V/S45VN/Magnacut!!! I have not had my fill of these 4 inch wonders.

What say you all?
How psyched are you about the new product release? Lets see, there was a recent sprint run NC M390, and now MC and LC200N. I was looking for s110v NC and found this thread. did you pick up the m390? I may have to...
Yes, I have 2 - M390 Native Chiefs so far and I want backups. I wish that I could afford 10 of each, stick them in a drawer near the door, and grab a recently sharpened one as I walk out.

There was a sprint run for a Native Chief in MC and LC200n? I did not see that.....
Don’t forget the SPY27 coming . It is a must have for me . On the fence with the Salts , but may change my mind . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:20 pm
Naperville wrote:
alphaneuron9 wrote:
Naperville wrote:

What say you all?

Don’t forget the SPY27 coming . It is a must have for me . On the fence with the Salts , but may change my mind . MG2
:party-face

We are in the middle of selling a home and buying a car so that I can get back to work. Hopefully NONE of these NEW Native Chiefs come out before Feb, 2024. I am sure everything will be squared away by Feb, 2024 here and I'll have $1000+ per month to spend on these knives. AND HECK YES, I'LL SPEND IT!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Naperville wrote:
alphaneuron9 wrote:
Naperville wrote:

What say you all?

Not a Sprint, upcoming regular production lightweights from the latest reveal.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C244GR/2495
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C244GR/2496
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:06 pm
Naperville wrote:
alphaneuron9 wrote:
Naperville wrote:

What say you all?

Not a Sprint, upcoming regular production lightweights from the latest reveal.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C244GR/2495
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C244GR/2496
Thank you!!!!

I need to keep up.... :squinting-tongue
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ohhhhh coming soon too!

Thank the Lord above that they are going to be regular production....my plan is still intact. Buy 2+ copies of each.
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:08 pm
Ohhhhh coming soon too!

Thank the Lord above that they are going to be regular production....my plan is still intact. Buy 2+ copies of each.
Oh, yeah (in Randy macho man voice) you are psyched. Your enthusiasm is contagious.
Tell me about the M390... there was a thread about hype and so on... It occurs to me it is an excellent steel. I wanted to give s110v a trial run in an NC, which is what brought me to this thread.

I used my M398 mule to cut up some steaks, oh its a beautiful thing. Love the fact that there is a company that puts out knives in many steels. To paraphrase Big brown bear, its like driving a Ferrari around town...

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, Spyderco Knife Fans!
Alex
Scientia et pax
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:34 am
Naperville wrote:
Ohhhhh coming soon too!

Oh, yeah (in Randy macho man voice) you are psyched. Your enthusiasm is contagious.
Tell me about the M390... there was a thread about hype and so on... It occurs to me it is an excellent steel. I wanted to give s110v a trial run in an NC, which is what brought me to this thread.

I used my M398 mule to cut up some steaks, oh its a beautiful thing. Love the fact that there is a company that puts out knives in many steels. To paraphrase Big brown bear, its like driving a Ferrari around town...

I go by what Dr Larrin Thomas, the knife steel aficionado at Cedric & Ada and other experts tell me about knife steels. A 4 inch long M390 knife should cut through a thick leather jacket and 3 thick shirts with no problem at least 25 times.

M390 is one of those steels that will stay sharp through at least 3 perps. I believe in using/testing knife steels the way the ancient Samurai did. :squinting-tongue

Hate to have to take out the sharpening steel after I deal with one perp. :rofl
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:46 pm
I’m in for another today is first day the Native Chief has not been in my pocket since arrival . I can not say how much I appreciate comments from everyone about the Native Chief . The only bad thing I can say about the Chief is I only have one . Any steel listed would work with me . Never know what exclusives may show up next year . MG2
I hereby declare you Sir Chiefguy from now on… :winking-tongue
Just kidding! Glad you like the chief so much. Strang enough its a bit to pointy for my taste.
(Sounds crazy knowing i love the old chinooks i know. :rofl)
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:05 am
alphaneuron9 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:34 am
Naperville wrote:
Ohhhhh coming soon too!

I go by what Dr Larrin Thomas, the knife steel aficionado at Cedric & Ada and other experts tell me about knife steels. A 4 inch long M390 knife should cut through a thick leather jacket and 3 thick shirts with no problem at least 25 times.

M390 is one of those steels that will stay sharp through at least 3 perps. I believe in using/testing knife steels the way the ancient Samurai did. :squinting-tongue

Hate to have to take out the sharpening steel after I deal with one perp. :rofl
ha ha ha... yeah... I "studied" knifesteelnerds and Pete's youtube vids... resurrected all my chemistry background from my premed days. Great stuff.

But now a little knowledge later, I want to know what heat treatments, what hardness, carbide size and volume, what angle each company is doing to their steel... lots of fun to read Shawn Houston's comments for example.

Just wanted to give you the microphone and let you chat on M390. Seems like a landmark steel in the recent evolution of knife steels as evidenced by its popularity amongst knife making companies. It is a beautiful thing. A kin to something Joe Rogan would say: competition brings out better fighters... I think the same with knife steels. Will we have future technology that measures matrix hardness apart from carbide hardness? Who knows... but delicious to think about.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the HRC of the M390 in the recent NC sprint run? Curiosity...
Alex
Scientia et pax
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

"Just wanted to give you the microphone and let you chat on M390."

I am an extreme dabbler of high speed hi-jinx on Japanese Supersport Motorcycles, Martial Arts, and have a BS in Business Management, Management Information Systems. I'm not a metallurgist so I cannot help with a dissertation on high speed steels, hot hardness, and quenching.

I rely on the decades plus worth of knowledge pent up in Dr Larrin Thomas' head to boil down what steel does or does not do using the toughness and TCC(total cards cut) charts / spreadsheets / tables. The charts, tables and graphs are excellent. I also look at Pete's videos, and read some of Shawn Houston's posts to see if I understand the topics. I follow the posts here in the Spyderco Forum, Survivalist Boards, and Blade Forum to see what others are saying about chipping, corrosion and broken blades.

I think you should start a thread calling for Shawn Houston or Dr Larrin Thomas and discuss M390 steel at length. I'll read it.

I prefer my knives not snap/break, and stay sharp until I am done using them for self defense. We are not talking about anything that lasts beyond 10 minutes of repeated cutting / thrusting so there is some minimum level of toughness expected the longer the blade gets. It is all in Larrin's information. Shorter blades, 4 inches or less, do not have to have the same toughness, there is no leverage for breaking the blade and if you do not do anything stupid with the knife the blade will be fine.

If I have to deal with 3 to 5 guys, or I am in a survival situation, do I have the right knife for the season and situation that I am in. That is the very basic level of attention that I bring to choosing what knife steel and knife I choose to carry. I do not get too complicated.

I think Magnacut and 3V make for excellent blade steels between 4 and 20 inches in length. I note that some makers are using those steels in those size ranges too. Looking forward to the Native Chief in Magnacut and may have to buy a few of those. As for the Native Chief, M390 and Magnacut are excellent steel choices.
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:28 pm
"Just wanted to give you the microphone and let you chat on M390."

I am an extreme dabbler of high speed hi-jinx on Japanese Supersport Motorcycles, Martial Arts, and have a BS in Business Management, Management Information Systems. I'm not a metallurgist so I cannot help with a dissertation on high speed steels, hot hardness, and quenching.

I rely on the decades plus worth of knowledge pent up in Dr Larrin Thomas' head to boil down what steel does or does not do using the toughness and TCC(total cards cut) charts / spreadsheets / tables. The charts, tables and graphs are excellent. I also look at Pete's videos, and read some of Shawn Houston's posts to see if I understand the topics. I follow the posts here in the Spyderco Forum, Survivalist Boards, and Blade Forum to see what others are saying about chipping, corrosion and broken blades.

I think you should start a thread calling for Shawn Houston or Dr Larrin Thomas and discuss M390 steel at length. I'll read it.

I prefer my knives not snap/break, and stay sharp until I am done using them for self defense. We are not talking about anything that lasts beyond 10 minutes of repeated cutting / thrusting so there is some minimum level of toughness expected the longer the blade gets. It is all in Larrin's information. Shorter blades, 4 inches or less, do not have to have the same toughness, there is no leverage for breaking the blade and if you do not do anything stupid with the knife the blade will be fine.

If I have to deal with 3 to 5 guys, or I am in a survival situation, do I have the right knife for the season and situation that I am in. That is the very basic level of attention that I bring to choosing what knife steel and knife I choose to carry. I do not get too complicated.

I think Magnacut and 3V make for excellent blade steels between 4 and 20 inches in length. I note that some makers are using those steels in those size ranges too. Looking forward to the Native Chief in Magnacut and may have to buy a few of those. As for the Native Chief, M390 and Magnacut are excellent steel choices.

There you go, Im glad I gave you the mic... Im interested in shooting the breeze about your experience, not starting a thread with the experts... they already posted their opinions.

I didn´t think you´d go that route. People have been posting on how some companies have been putting out ¨soft m390¨... and thus the original question about ´hype´.

By all accounts it´s awesome knife steel.
Alex
Scientia et pax
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:45 pm
There you go, Im glad I gave you the mic... Im interested in shooting the breeze about your experience, not starting a thread with the experts... they already posted their opinions.

I didn´t think you´d go that route. People have been posting on how some companies have been putting out ¨soft m390¨... and thus the original question about ´hype´.

By all accounts it´s awesome knife steel.
I am not by any means John Wick. I am not trying to be gory, and I am also not a psychopath.

Some people carry firearms and that is fine. When they get accosted the draw their weapon and fire once or twice. The ammo used may be modified based on the season and what people are wearing. In any case, the entire situation is usually resolved in under 20 seconds.

When a person decides to use a knife for a defensive weapon there are just as many decision to make with regard to employing the right tool. The season may play a part in the profile, length of the weapon and the steel used. You are not likely to resolve a knife self defense situation in 20 seconds. It may happen but most people that are aggressive continue to attack even if their wrist has been cut.

Being shot and being cut or stabbed are entirely different. I think firearms are MUCH more dangerous. Especially when we are talking about 3 to 4 inch blades vs a 9mm or .45.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Not Mr. Wick? Bummer.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Naperville wrote:

What say you all?
I can get ya a 4" wonder