What knife do you actually carry and use the most?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CDEP

Re: What knife do you actually carry and use the most?

Post by CDEP »

I always have 3 knives on me. A primary slicer, a beast, and a DFly K390.

The DFly gets the most use by far, as it is always in my left front pocket, both at home and away (L. A. blade limit). It gets most of the daily light work, and seems to never need sharpening if stropped occasionally.

The home rotation champ is the PM2 CruCarta/BBB Shaman combo.

The away leaders are the Native 5 MC Salt PE/Lil' Temp LW VG10 pairing.

When I know I have a lot of knife work ahead at home, the Native Chief or Manxix 2XL often get a ride for the day.

Oh, and there is always a Rescue 3 TRL in my calf pocket that I hope to never need to use.
Brian
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:10 am
Just curious, how do you sharpen your knives ? Free hand or do you use a sharpening system?
All freehand. Most of the steels I use regularly have notable amounts of vanadium so mainly use diamond stones. The coarser grits for reprofiling are currently Atoma plates, finishing stones (usually go to 1000 grit) are super vitrified diamond stones. Last step is a few swipes on a smooth leather strop with 1 micron diamond.

My edges end up notably convexed, which I personally like, but sometimes it doesn't show up on pictures very well. When I go really thin I always use a microbevel for edge durability.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Zoomed out over the past few years, the BD1N Para 3…all the crazy, exotic Para 3s I own, it’s still my favorite to carry.

Since it came out, the cruwear lil native is tied though…it’s city legal in my area and I get to carry my favorite scale/steel combination
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:53 am
I find midsize folders to have the most versatility to cariability ratio. Out of my current collection it’s been the calypso jr for several months now. Just a perfect edc pocket folder for like 95% of what I cut on an average day. Sals best work

^ Agree re size. I explore larger and smaller knives and keep coming back to around a 3" blade, more or less, which is a sweet spot for me. The Caly Jr is one of the all-time 'greats' in this category for me, and gets a lot of carry on contracting days...
Attachments
Caly Jr Primaries 2.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
James Y

Post by James Y »

CDEP wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:00 pm
I always have 3 knives on me. A primary slicer, a beast, and a DFly K390.

The DFly gets the most use by far, as it is always in my left front pocket, both at home and away (L. A. blade limit). It gets most of the daily light work, and seems to never need sharpening if stropped occasionally.

The home rotation champ is the PM2 CruCarta/BBB Shaman combo.

The away leaders are the Native 5 MC Salt PE/Lil' Temp LW VG10 pairing.

When I know I have a lot of knife work ahead at home, the Native Chief or Manxix 2XL often get a ride for the day.

Oh, and there is always a Rescue 3 TRL in my calf pocket that I hope to never need to use.

Hi. I thought the blade length carry limit for the City of Los Angeles is 3". Most of the time when I've traveled up to L.A. (which is admittedly not very often anymore), I've carried a Delica, or Delica-sized folder, clipped. I have carried a Pac Salt down in my pocket, though.

Jim
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Lately my K390 Wharndelica that I scale swapped with my Teal Wharndelica. 10DPS mirror polish. Laser beam.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

[/quote]
Hi. I thought the blade length carry limit for the City of Los Angeles is 3". Most of the time when I've traveled up to L.A. (which is admittedly not very often anymore), I've carried a Delica, or Delica-sized folder, clipped. I have carried a Pac Salt down in my pocket, though.

Jim
[/quote]
Hey Jim: Yes, the limit in LA City is actually "sub" 3" which is why I switch to a Native 5 or PARA 3 when away from home. I mostly work from home now, so I go with the larger blades when home. The DFly works for both, as it is great for using in public without frightening strangers, but also handles most daily needs at home. It gets my most used title because it is always on me.
Brian
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

A VG10 wharnie Endura SE with linen micarta scales is my most carried followed up by the K390 SSS.
The M4 Sage 5 that Bolster showed would be a solid 3rd for me.
James Y

Post by James Y »

CDEP wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:01 pm

Jim
[/quote]
Hey Jim: Yes, the limit in LA City is actually "sub" 3" which is why I switch to a Native 5 or PARA 3 when away from home. I mostly work from home now, so I go with the larger blades when home. The DFly works for both, as it is great for using in public without frightening strangers, but also handles most daily needs at home. It gets my most used title because it is always on me.
[/quote]

Thanks, Brian.

Great choices there!

Jim
anycal

Post by anycal »

On honeymoon right now with Native 5 CF.

Otherwise K390 and CRUWEAR PM2, equally.
Peter
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

K390 Wharncliffe Delica

Most used knife by far
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It changes often. My knife hobby enjoyment comes from trying out different designs and seeing what I like or dislike about them and seeing which ones stick. Typically means I don't buy additional and everything I have gets used to see how it feels. The most use historically has gone from a Manix 2 or Para 3 for a work knife construction/renovation related use. PM2 and Endela or Endura often get put in that rotation. Those still rotate, but a while back when I got the Rock Jumper, that one stayed as a utility work knife. Recently with the discontinued pricing I switched up my Rock Jumper PE with a serrated version. Loved it so much that I got an Endela Wharncliffe SE to replace my K390 and 20CV versions with upgraded scales. So now even when I'm rotating a knife through, I always try to have one of these as well.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

I rotate many knives but I’d have to say my maxamet manix 2 is my work knife. It cuts things it shouldn’t. And stays sharp. Image
MRj “Weak things break!”
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Victorinox Classic SD or the rambler.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

IMG_3090.jpeg
Working in construction this is what's been in my work pants pocket for the last 2 years. I paid $23 on sale for it. I've searched for a Spyderco to replace it but the Tuff Lite is too near perfect to be replaced by the Salt 2 Wharncliffe, Native, or saber grind Endura. Made in Taiwan, Hollow ground thick blade stock, triad lock, and the whole knife is an ergonomic masterpiece. When I've been in the dirt and dust too long and it starts to feel gritty, I leave it clipped in my pants and let the washing machine clean it. It never rusts. It's basically a non-disposable blade folding utility knife, I treat it maliciously and it seems to almost enjoy it. I think it'd be nice if it was tip up carry but that might create a hotspot. It'd be cool if there was an option for a slightly upgraded steel like Aus10, 154cm, or 14c28n, but the Aus8 is a joy to sharpen after a day of flagrant abuse. I love my Spyderco's but I love the Tuff Lite like a dog I didnt want, everyday I love it a little bit more and now I don't ever want it to leave.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Living in Germany (and having most knife-use around the house) there is quite a difference for me between 'most carried' and 'most used'.

Most carried:
- UKPK BD1N drop point in yellow FRN scales (outside-work-carry) --> eventually a Spy27 or Magnacut UKPK MAY replace it
- Urban BD1N in black FRN scales (work carry, absolutely adequate, very useful and nobody can notice it really).
I would love to have a locking blade, but none of the Spyderco knives are compliant with German law on knives, so if I ever get a knife that ticks all the boxes, it will most likely not be a Spyderco, sadly

Most used:
- PM2 in k390 (now getting new scales made by a friend of mine)
- Ayoob SE in CruWear - got some thinning by myself on diamond stones - love to use this knife on Cardboard and opening packages.

Most played with: (yeah you read that right)
- Schempp Bowie folder - just love the knife in every regard, my favorite Spydero till this day. I should probably get a second one and put it on a display as I consider it a design marvel that was perfectly executed. And yes, I also actually use it, just not when doing some super dirty/tough work as I don't want to damage it. It gets a lot of use in the summer around the grill :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Right now during the week it's the S90V CF Yojumbo and the H1 SE Spyderhawk. All time most carried knife for me is the spyderhawk though. That never changes. Used the S30V military a lot this year too and the autonomy 2. On the weekends it's the Kris. Respect also sees a good bit of weekend carry but not too much usage.
TABA68

Post by TABA68 »

My three favorits: stretchxl lw, tena s35 custom, para3 maxamet. Rotating them and very happy with performance of each. Thanks Spyderco:-). cid:688E15B9-2BE1-4800-838B-
Attachments
IMG_9150.jpeg
IMG_9150.jpeg (53.43 KiB) Viewed 14188 times
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:21 am
IMG_3090.jpeg

Working in construction this is what's been in my work pants pocket for the last 2 years. I paid $23 on sale for it. I've searched for a Spyderco to replace it but the Tuff Lite is too near perfect to be replaced by the Salt 2 Wharncliffe, Native, or saber grind Endura. Made in Taiwan, Hollow ground thick blade stock, triad lock, and the whole knife is an ergonomic masterpiece. When I've been in the dirt and dust too long and it starts to feel gritty, I leave it clipped in my pants and let the washing machine clean it. It never rusts. It's basically a non-disposable blade folding utility knife, I treat it maliciously and it seems to almost enjoy it. I think it'd be nice if it was tip up carry but that might create a hotspot. It'd be cool if there was an option for a slightly upgraded steel like Aus10, 154cm, or 14c28n, but the Aus8 is a joy to sharpen after a day of flagrant abuse. I love my Spyderco's but I love the Tuff Lite like a dog I didnt want, everyday I love it a little bit more and now I don't ever want it to leave.
I love a small wharncliffe for work. I still want something larger in the pocket, but honestly this is all I need for utility work. That model seems perfect!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Matus wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:45 am
Living in Germany (and having most knife-use around the house) there is quite a difference for me between 'most carried' and 'most used'.

Most carried:
- UKPK BD1N drop point in yellow FRN scales (outside-work-carry) --> eventually a Spy27 or Magnacut UKPK MAY replace it
- Urban BD1N in black FRN scales (work carry, absolutely adequate, very useful and nobody can notice it really).
I would love to have a locking blade, but none of the Spyderco knives are compliant with German law on knives, so if I ever get a knife that ticks all the boxes, it will most likely not be a Spyderco, sadly

Most used:
- PM2 in k390 (now getting new scales made by a friend of mine)
- Ayoob SE in CruWear - got some thinning by myself on diamond stones - love to use this knife on Cardboard and opening packages.

Most played with: (yeah you read that right)
- Schempp Bowie folder - just love the knife in every regard, my favorite Spydero till this day. I should probably get a second one and put it on a display as I consider it a design marvel that was perfectly executed. And yes, I also actually use it, just not when doing some super dirty/tough work as I don't want to damage it. It gets a lot of use in the summer around the grill :)
Urban is in N690Co… AFAIK
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red