Is the Endura still well loved in 2023?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Is the Endura still well loved in 2023?

Post by prndltech »

Haunted House wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:38 pm
Has there ever been a Cruwear Endura? I did a quick search but couldn’t find one.
We’re patiently waiting for DLT TO HURRY UP!!!!!!!!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Think they need more options, this is what makes many other models more popular, I have the endura k390 wharncliffe and its one of my favorite knives, not as pretty as some others but functional use its one of the best, I dont mind the FRN but I do with they had other options like G10 or Micarta, its light, cheaper and strong to do what you need, but its nice to enjoy the look of the knife as well. Sadly there doesnt seen to be any aftermarket options either.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:38 pm
Haunted House wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:38 pm
Has there ever been a Cruwear Endura? I did a quick search but couldn’t find one.
We’re patiently waiting for DLT TO HURRY UP!!!!!!!!
EXACTLY!
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

It’s a great design for any year. It’s on my purchase list for the holidays.

There’s a 20cv Endura on sale at knifejoy that looks like an awesome work knife.

https://www.knifejoy.com/products/spyde ... eq=uniform
Just one more knife...
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Um, it's my only Spyderco and favorite pocket knife, so I love it! Solid, light, just right on the size scale, stout enough blade I don't worry about it, but good enough geometry to satisfy for any cutting task I encounter. I had trouble finding a big enough knife that I wouldn't notice carrying around until I found the Endura. Would I like a Pm2 more? It's possible, but that points out another advantage that the Endura has and the reason I got one instead of the Pm2, the Endura is more affordable while satisfying the same needs.

The only negative thing I have to say is that the ergos I think could be improved slightly. My second finger lands on the first handle bump which creates a hot spot during some tasks. It seems quite a few people mention this. I am thinking about softening the shape of that bump, but I would be a little worried about putting ugly Dremel marks on my handle. :grimace
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Yes, the Endura is well-loved still. I have three of them, including my most recent purchase which is of a K390 SE Endura. It’s a great knife.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:03 pm
The only negative thing I have to say is that the ergos I think could be improved slightly. My second finger lands on the first handle bump which creates a hot spot during some tasks. It seems quite a few people mention this. I am thinking about softening the shape of that bump, but I would be a little worried about putting ugly Dremel marks on my handle. :grimace
I’ve sanded down that spot flat before… you’re the only one that’ll know it’s there and yes, it’s super comfy!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Scandi Grind wrote:

The only negative thing I have to say is that the ergos I think could be improved slightly. My second finger lands on the first handle bump which creates a hot spot during some tasks. It seems quite a few people mention this.
This is exactly my problem with the Endura. It's a cracking knife otherwise. Not to bang on a drum I've hit before, but I really wish it had a more neutral handle like the RockJumper.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I may be done with Pacific Salts soon. Once the Chief Salts launch I doubt I'll find any reason to carry them outside of nostalgia.

Like others the Pacific 2 / Endura 4 doesn't have stellar ergos for my hand. I've learned to make it work but that 1.5 finger sized finger groove at the start of the handle always perplexed me.
:unicorn
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Wharnie Endura is an amazing tool. I love mine
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I can see why some feel differently, but to me the ergos are exactly one of the things I really like in the Endura 4 .

Better (for me) than on any other Spydie in its size category, and I've tried Chief, Siren, Goddard, Stretch XL, Pac Salt 1 (= the "old" Endura shape), Millie.

The finger grooves make it really stable in my hand and somehow my index finger is better supported and I can control the knife thus better than on any of the other mentioned models.

I rarely put my thumb on the ramp, but if I do: Yes, my middle finger does land on the "point" between first and second groove, but that has never bothered me.
Usually I put the thumb on the flat of the blade or use a hammergrip anyway, this somehow let's my hand sit more forward and the middle finger does not land on the "point" as much.

Then there is the ricasso: Said it before, for me better for choking up than most dedicated choils: Not more comfortable, but gives me more control.
And if not choking up, the hand is still a lot closer to the edge than it would be when choking up behind a dedicated finger choil.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

People are too busy using them to talk about them
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:04 pm
People are too busy using them to talk about them

Yeah, it's a great user, even for really easy tasks... (old pic of my perhaps favorite variant)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:48 am
Scandi Grind wrote:
I’ve sanded down that spot flat before… you’re the only one that’ll know it’s there and yes, it’s super comfy!
Hmmm, I'm thinking I just may have to try it. Anybody have suggestions on the best way to knock the bump down? I was thinking Dremel, then clean up with sandpaper, but I am a bit nervous of slipping with a power tool and botching it up. I believe FRN is glass reinforced, so I'm not exactly sure what would cut it effectively.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

GT99 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:57 pm
Think they need more options, this is what makes many other models more popular, I have the endura k390 wharncliffe and its one of my favorite knives, not as pretty as some others but functional use its one of the best, I dont mind the FRN but I do with they had other options like G10 or Micarta, its light, cheaper and strong to do what you need, but its nice to enjoy the look of the knife as well. Sadly there doesnt seen to be any aftermarket options either.
Just bought a fourth set of scales from this guy today. They’re pretty nice and are a great option for the Endura. If I think about it I’ll snap a pic in the morning before work.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1354398114/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:18 pm
prndltech wrote:
Scandi Grind wrote:
Hmmm, I'm thinking I just may have to try it. Anybody have suggestions on the best way to knock the bump down? I was thinking Dremel, then clean up with sandpaper, but I am a bit nervous of slipping with a power tool and botching it up. I believe FRN is glass reinforced, so I'm not exactly sure what would cut it effectively.
Last time I did this to an Endura I used my spyderco spin to carve off some chunks, then 400 grit sandpaper to refine it. Both cut it fine. Dremel is overkill.
:unicorn
Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

I totally agree. Quality, great fit and he gets on it right away :star-struck

Maybe Im Iucky but my regular sized hands work great with these scales
Just bought a fourth set of scales from this guy today. They’re pretty nice and are a great option for the Endura. If I think about it I’ll snap a pic in the morning before work.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1354398114/
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Scandi Grind wrote:
A file offers good control for shaping the FRN. It’ll cut it just fine. Dremel is easy to have get away from you.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Scandi Grind wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Scandi Grind wrote:
That’s what I would do… but if you don’t trust yourself with power tools, either a file or sandpaper will work.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

ImageAccidentally stripped the screws on the clip so I had these scales made without holes tapped. It lives in my travel bag and is rock solid.