What do you view as the main grip on these types of knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What do you view as the main grip on these types of knives?

Behind the choil
25%
Using the choil
38%
Depends on the specific model
37%

Total votes: 68

vivi

Re: What do you view as the main grip on these types of knives?

Post by vivi »

I think some folks are forgetting something. This is a discussion about knives that offer a full grip both with, and without the choil.

I know I have large hands but are ya'll really using your dragonfly folders without the choil? Even Natives and UKPK seem like a stretch here, and for me I know a para 3 requires the choil for a full grip.

So please keep that in mind!

For example, for my hand size a PM2 is basically the cut-off point in this discussion.
:unicorn
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I'm in the habit of always using the choil in my grip for the simple reason that it takes me closer to the cutting edge and I find that to be more accurate and comfortable. Even more so in a larger knife when I'm using the tip or whole blade length to do something.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:54 am
I think some folks are forgetting something. This is a discussion about knives that offer a full grip both with, and without the choil.

I know I have large hands but are ya'll really using your dragonfly folders without the choil? Even Natives and UKPK seem like a stretch here, and for me I know a para 3 requires the choil for a full grip.

For example, for my hand size a PM2 is basically the cut-off point in this discussion.
Yeah, that is why I answered behind the choil for my preference. I love the ergos on the Calys, the UKPK, the Sage, and the Native 5, but I have never used those gripped behind the choil. To me they are full finger gripped knives, but only using the choil meaning choil necessary.

As much as I like and prefer choilless knives, I actually prefer a choil on smaller models. Feels much more secure with the smaller handle, and I appreciate that. But for larger models, behind the choil just seems right. I think the palm swell points to that.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

vivi wrote:

I attach a small fob to my DFlys and get a full grip, though only 3 fingers are on the handle. Native and PARA3 are easy full grip without choil. My hands are exact average for a male - 7.5" from wrist to tip of middle finger & 3.5" across palm at the knuckles.
Brian
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

vivi wrote:

On my PM2 S45VN and CRUWEAR I use the choil often. Except for cardboard that stuff just seems to want to run my finger over when using the choil. Honestly though I use the choil for fine tuning and stay behind it when cutting more aggressively.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

More often than not, when using my Stretch which I actually prefer to my PM2, I have my index finger on the jimp and the rest on the on the handle. Detail work is where I will use the choil. The question in the poll doesn't really capture that nuance.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the only thing i dislike about a choil is switching to non-choil knives. i was going to carry my astute the other day, but i flicked it open and habitually put my finger right on the blade. fortunately, i didn't cut myself, but i also put the astute back in the spyderpac and carried a manix instead.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

For me it not only depends on the knife, or model, but what I'm doing with the knife. Sometimes choil, if it's there, or the kick on the Endura, Endela, Delica, sometimes pinch grip, sometimes back on the tail end of some of the bigger ones, e.g. Police.
I would say what grip, or where I grip, depends as much, or more, on what I'm doing with the knife, than the knife in my hand.

u.w.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:15 pm
the only thing i dislike about a choil is switching to non-choil knives. i was going to carry my astute the other day, but i flicked it open and habitually put my finger right on the blade. fortunately, i didn't cut myself, but i also put the astute back in the spyderpac and carried a manix instead.
I've heard of others doing that but can't say I've ever done that, even when I used to EDC a UKPK / Caly 3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
the only thing i dislike about a choil is switching to non-choil knives. i was going to carry my astute the other day, but i flicked it open and habitually put my finger right on the blade. fortunately, i didn't cut myself....
vivi wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
I've heard of others doing that but can't say I've ever done that, even when I used to EDC a UKPK / Caly 3.
I am a bit hesitant to bring this up again, cause things always tend to get controversial whenever I do... but then this is a knife forum and the topic one that really puzzles me sometimes, so...

- It is no problem to choke up on the very cutting edge (this, so not just a pinch grip on the blade), one won't cut themselves if done rightly - which means not moving the finger on the blade or the blade on the finger back and forth in a cutting motion

- People (not talking bout you two, friends!) sometimes do as if justTOUCHING the cutting edge would immediately cut and hurt them, as if the edge was some kind of laser beam or burning hot

- I am not claiming that the edges of my knives are crazy sharp - but still effortlessly cutting thin receipe paper and easily shaving, and I pretty often choke up on the very cutting edge even in a bit harder tasks without a problem.

- I did a poll once where after all 8% of the participants voted that they choke up on the very cutting edge too...and it has been done all over history

- I am not necessarily recommending to choke up on the edge and I am not saying it's the most comfortable thing in the world - but just grabbing a sharp blade including the edge and applying some pressure won't do harm if done rightly and for me is a useful grip (NOT useful, but just to illustrate: One could even grab a sharp knife firmly (!) on the blade/edge and hammer with the handle on something)

... hope I don't get bashed for this once more... :grimace :smirk ... it's just "knife in real use " topic (and myth...) that interests and puzzles me :smiling-cheeks
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

If a knife has a choil, I use it without even tthinking. the manix xl, as mentioned, has a great grip without using the choil but it's the only one I own that feels natural in both positions
vivi

Post by vivi »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:47 am
If a knife has a choil, I use it without even tthinking. the manix xl, as mentioned, has a great grip without using the choil but it's the only one I own that feels natural in both positions
Feeling natural is something I've thought about in this context.

I've seen some folks talk about how they can manage a full grip behind the choil on knives like the Native, UKPK, Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Dragonfly etc. But to me these models are obviously designed around using the choil. Even the fairly large and beefy Shaman feels designed around the choil in my grip.

To me the Police, Military and Manix XL feel designed around the behind the choil grip. I'm not saying the choil was an after thought on these, just that I get the feeling it wasn't intended as the primary grip on those models.

Some models it's a little tougher to tell. PM2 is a good example. The first one was obviously designed around using the choil. The second one was obviously designed to make either grip style work for most hand sizes. But to me neither one really feels like the definitive grip thr designer had in mind.

Wonder what others think when it comes to mid sized models like the PM2, mini manix, etc.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:59 am
Wonder what others think when it comes to mid sized models like the PM2, mini manix, etc.
For me, with average hand (7" wrist to tip / 3.5" across palm at knuckles), the "natural" grip on the PM2 is behind the choil. I use the choil for a normal choke up, and I sometimes put my index finger on the spine with thumb in the Spydie Hole and middle finger in the choil if I want extreme blade control for very small, precise cuts - it's almost Exacto knife-like control over a large blade.

For me, the PM2 offers the ideal blade size/versatility at home. In LA. blade restrictions move me to the Native 5 or PARA3 for away carry.
Brian