Knife horror stories

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Self Taught

Knife horror stories

Post by Self Taught »

When I was on the drilling rigs in northern Alberta I was the only one who carried a knife for day to day tasks such as cutting rope, bags of mineral powder, rags, sheet plastic and lids of 5 gallon buckets etc... One day we had a coil of cable that was wrapped with tape that needed to get cut. My driller asked for a knife ASAP. I handed it to him and instead of turning the knife upside down and cutting away from the cable he cut down into it. Chipped the edge badly. A piece of my soul died. That was the only time I had severe edge damage while working out there. It was my trusty s30v manix 2. Sharpened it up later and is still running strong.
Share your knife horror stories
bdblue

Re: Knife horror stories

Post by bdblue »

I was on a big fishing trip with about 20 people. We would catch quite a few fish Friday night and Saturday and cook some of them Saturday night. I was opening some packages and set my knife on the table. I turned back later to get it and it wasn't there. My uncle picked it up and was scraping the inside of a large cast iron pot with it. I had not learned proper sharpening back then and it took me a long time to get that knife sharp enough for my use.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Not me but a work colleague.

He had bought the new PM2 in brown with a DLC coated blade (could have been S35v or S45v ) had it about 2 weeks when we were at work walking around a heap of aircraft pallets that had been netted.
One of the nets had caught on the clip and pick picketed his new PM2
We went back a few hours later and all the pallets had been shipped out of the Airforce bond to their owners.
Some lucky marine got a new PM 2
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I used to carry a Left Handed Benchmade CQC7. LH made it irreplaceable. It was a nice knife. It was my first/only knife of this style, and it went with me everywhere. I was traveling, so it was in my check-in bag. When I got home, I couldn't find the knife. I went through my luggage and dirty clothes many times. The knife was gone. Those skeevy screeners stole my knife! I was incensed, but there was nothing I could do. Gone is gone.

Several years passed. One day I was going on another trip and packing my bags. What do you think I found in a little pocket? Yup! My Benchmade CQC7! I don't carry the knife any more because my Spydercos are better, but it still sits here next to me in a drawer.

IMG_2717.jpeg
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

When I was in the Navy I was cutting insulation off a pipe (probably asbestos, but that's another story) and discovered a hanger bracket under the insulation. Actually, I discovered the blade was under the bracket when half its length snapped off. Not a Spyderco, Sal hadn't started making knives yet, but a pretty nice Western lockback.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Contractor brought his girlfriend to a job. Kitchen was functional and girlfriend wanted to make lunch for him. She asked to borrow a knife to chop carrots. (Why didn't the contractor have a knife???) Thought she'd use the wood chopping board. Turned around to find her chopping vigorously with my Spydie on ceramic tile instead. Damaged the knife AND the tile.
Last edited by Bolster on Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Hired help often uses our kitchen knives in lieu of a can opener.

Broke the tip clean off this one, so I made it a modified tanto.

I also don't buy expensive kitchen knives anymore.
20230112_152535.jpg
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Horrible thread! 🍿
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Spyderbot_matrix

Post by Spyderbot_matrix »

Wasn’t a spyderco, But for the Longest I carried Ballisongs and this was my favorite before name dropping was a thing ~1997(maybe jaguar was the name). It was a 420HC steel with black coated blade and black handles no holes. Very sleek, bolts instead of rivets nice weight.

I still have the Capcom Games Illustrations book I traded it for, but the owner went ahead and tried to pry open a bottle cap off and well he snapped off one of the handles and the blade edge sank into his thumb. It wasn’t even a week.

2 lessons:
-Don’t trade unless you really wanna part with it
-Don’t trust knives to non knife people
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

The wife and I were on a Europe trip and I bought some Victorinox at the store near the top of the Matterhorn in Zermatt. As we were going to fly home from Paris Orly, the door security scanned the bags coming in, saw the knives, and did a physical check. After they put them back, we went ahead, checked our bags, and continued on. In the main security, they flagged my bag and did a physical check where they pulled out my brand new Wine Master. It was sad to see that go, but nothing I could do. Lesson learned. If security ever checks your knives, make sure the knives go back in the right bag.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

About the worst I did was with my first pocket knife, a Victorinox folder (can't remember the model at all). Keep in mind this happened when I was maybe 12 years old or so. I was climbing a tree in a pasture as my Dad and I were checking cattle. Well... climbing a tree may not have been contributing a whole lot to the cause of raising cattle, but that's what I was doing. Was climbing along a branch and cutting small side branches off to clear my way when I dropped that knife into a pothole full of mud and water. I figured the knife was to never ever be seen again, and it was quite disappointing because that was my very first pocket knife of any kind, given to me by Dad.

A few years later in drier times, I was walking along the then dry pothole and spotted something shiny in the dried mud... my knife! I cleaned it up a bit but it did have some lingering corrosion issues despite my best efforts. It lived for many years in my parents' house with some of my other stuff, but I think eventually it did get thrown out during some "house cleaning" efforts. Wish I still had that knife.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Spyderbot_matrix:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

mikey177 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:10 pm

20230112_152535.jpg
If you cook enough, you should definitely keep nice kitchen knives around. Just make sure unauthorized people don't touch em
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:32 pm
mikey177 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:10 pm

20230112_152535.jpg
If you cook enough, you should definitely keep nice kitchen knives around. Just make sure unauthorized people don't touch em

Our kitchen knives are nice enough, but definitely not high end. Maybe when I'm living alone I'll get some very good Japanese or German kitchen knives :smlling-eyes
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I gave a friend a Paramilitary 2. He decided to feel the point and being used to dull knives didn't realize how sharp it was. You guessed it. He stabbed himself in the thumb nice and deep. He almost fainted. :rofl Now he's afraid to even look at that knife.

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, I bought a beautiful Solingen bowie with a practical 4 or 4.5 inch blade and stag handle. I used that knife pretty hard, opening cans of food, making fuzz sticks, cutting cane poles, etc. One day, when I was around 20 or so, I was trying to dig a bullet out of a fence post. The tip snapped off just as clean as could be. Of course, I re-profiled it, but after all that knife had done in the past, I was some surprised, especially given how thick the point was.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I brought a brand new Benchmade Meatcrafter on a hunt this weekend. I got it in the mail on Wednesday so it really was unused when I left home with it.

As usual there is some interest in new knives, so everyone passed around whatever new knives acquired since last years trip. After this pass around session I left the knife on the living room table. It was a small cabin and the living room table was close to where we prepared food, so I thought it could be nice to have it within reach.
Later that night, I came into the living room to find one of my slightly intoxicated hunting buddies poking candle stubs out of a candle holder with my, up until this unused, Meatcrafter. Yeah.. that tip is FINE, so of course it took a beating.

Luckily and honestly quite surprisingly the tip didn't snap, but it acquired some very noticeable dents close to the tip.

The evening after I used the same knife to prepare dinner. With the cabin being well over 100 years old, with no electricity, no hot water and the water we had is just cold water that has to be hand carried from a well a couple hundred yards down a hill, there is no excessive dishwashing going on. As usual we postponed the dishwashing to the next day so we could do it outside with ample work space and good lighting. And in that good lighting it became very apparent that CPM154 was not as stain resistant as I had hoped. The whole knife was covered in brownish spots caused by the food remains that wasn't sufficiently wiped off the night before.

A pretty rough maiden journey for the MC, but at least it's broken in and very much mine at this point :)

My Stretch 1 took a beating as well, but that's a story for another time.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Self Taught wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:11 pm
When I was on the drilling rigs in northern Alberta I was the only one who carried a knife for day to day tasks such as cutting rope, bags of mineral powder, rags, sheet plastic and lids of 5 gallon buckets etc... One day we had a coil of cable that was wrapped with tape that needed to get cut. My driller asked for a knife ASAP. I handed it to him and instead of turning the knife upside down and cutting away from the cable he cut down into it. Chipped the edge badly. A piece of my soul died. That was the only time I had severe edge damage while working out there. It was my trusty s30v manix 2. Sharpened it up later and is still running strong.
Share your knife horror stories
are you still in alberta haha born and raised AB

I dont really have any horror stories. Maybe one time I cut myself so i dropped the knife tip down on a ceramic tile and it broke the tip off. haha
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Spyderbot_matrix

Post by Spyderbot_matrix »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:18 am
Dear Spyderbot_matrix:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for the warm welcome, Is there a sub thread where new members can introduce themselves?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

As a (dumb) kid, had an 8" fish knife with scaling ridges on the back, but dull blade, and didn't know how to sharpen. Friend Marc loved that knife and would play with it. One time he took the knife and I took the sheath (I did say dumb didn't I?) and we had a "knife fight." Marc made a tricky move but I blocked it by grabbing the blade. Mark looked at me, smiled, then pulled the knife toward him. Whaddya know! It could cut! All four fingers! That made me so mad I tackled him and pinned him down so his German Shepard could lick his face. It was an exceptionally good licking because Marc was laughing so hard his mouth was open, catching plenty of dog drool. When he was good and slobbered, I let him up and bandaged my fingers. Anyway, he liked the knife so much, and I'd had enough of it, so I gave it to him. I think that was Marc's first knife. We didn't tell his parents.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189