Camp knife - recommendations

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
standy99

Re: Camp knife - recommendations

Post by standy99 »

If I was advising anyone on a camp knife it would be a L.T. Wright

https://ltwrightknives.com/shop/knives/gns-saber/

Save a bit and enjoy something you will have for years.

A camp knife is something you want to be a bit special

My L T Wright Camp MUK

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:17 am
Thanks, Standy. I'll definitively have a L.T. Wright some day, but if you've followed the thread from the beginning you'll understand that this isn't the one. There's camp knives and there are "camp knives", and the one I'm looking for now is most definitively in the latter category.
I generally don't need or use larger knives, so this is an edge case where the knife will see very little use and possibly some abuse. I'll much rather spend my L.T. Wright money in one om my preferred categories, and on that note; the Next Gen is very much in my alley, and very tempting. One knife at the time though.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:32 am
If I was gonna be sticking it in a fire and trying to do camp chores with it then I would just get a cheap 12 inch machete.

That said, just stir the fire with a stick and get a decent camp knife. There are tons of great options.
Using any knife as a fire stick is obviously not plan A, but when cocking on a campfire, balancing pots and grills on burning logs thing can escalate quickly if something gets out of balance. Already working with food the knife will be right at hand for an immediate recue operation.

Also because of the food aspect, I think the length should be in the 7" to 10" range. I'm not used to long knives, so anything beyond 10" will probably be awkward to handle for finer tasks. As mentioned the traditional Leukus that are commonplace here in Scandinavia goes up to about 9" and is basically the Sami peoples equivalent to a lightweight multi use machete. Vegetation is scarce where the Leuku originated so it was never intended as a chopper, but a knife that could do most tasks well. I believe it was common to carry a both a smaller and a larger, but blade shape and handle remained the same across the size range. Even blade stock. I do own a couple of Leukus, but as I've never seen any need for overly large knives, my largest Leuku is 6", which is too short for this use case. Otherwise the Leuku is pretty much made for this type of mixed use and would probably serve me very well if I don't find anything that is better suited. The makers of Leukus are very true to the original design, which is great for nostalgia, but they are not as solid as modern full tang knives and the polished wood handle isn't ideal for grip safety. It is however the traditional knife alternative that is local to me, and would be my "machete" of choice if I go that route.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Certain tangs are known to have certain failure points. Rat tail or stick tangs have been used since forever, and although not an expert I think most swords made even 500 or 1000 years ago had rat tail tangs. Not my favorite tang in 2023, but I have a few.

I have a few KA-Bar knives, one of them is full size as seen in the video. My full size KA-Bar is one of the knives I will never sell. It would not be the first knife I took with me to a desert island but I do not think you can be an avid or serious collector if you do not own one. Millions of KA-Bars have been used by the US Military in combat.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

nm

Already mentioned.
vivi

Post by vivi »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:38 am
standy99 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:17 am
Thanks, Standy. I'll definitively have a L.T. Wright some day, but if you've followed the thread from the beginning you'll understand that this isn't the one. There's camp knives and there are "camp knives", and the one I'm looking for now is most definitively in the latter category.
I generally don't need or use larger knives, so this is an edge case where the knife will see very little use and possibly some abuse. I'll much rather spend my L.T. Wright money in one om my preferred categories, and on that note; the Next Gen is very much in my alley, and very tempting. One knife at the time though.
If you just want a big, cheap knife to beat on, hard to go wrong with a machete.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Maybe you really ought to consider saving some more money and get a Busse Combat.
That or one of Nathan's knives (Carrothers)
I think you can find a Busse (INFI) especially their Basic models on the secondary market for a really good deal. A Busee or Carrothers would definitely be worth the wait imo.
Reason I bring this up again, is that I came across a fellow that posted an old Busse catalog from years ago.
Maybe look for a Basic 7 or Basic 9
INFI is incredible steel & I don't think it would be as expensive as you might imagine off of the secondary market
Anyways, here's a pic of the old catalog
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Thanks for all the good advice so far.
I still want a knife with this purpose in mind, but I’m putting it on the back burner until I find something that feels right. While the budget for this knife isn’t breaking the bank, it feels a bit unintentional to just go out and buy something simply based on it fitting within some arbitrary requirements and a few recommendations. I fully realized this when I put in an order at Knife center yesterday, and could add a camp knife to my basket without any additional overhead cost. I simply couldn’t find one that didn’t just feel like an irrational spending that would only direct buying power away from items I really want or need.

Doesn’t mean this thread have to die, it just means I need more time and wont jump until I find something that feels right.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Another series to consider is the SRK, SRK-C and Recon Tanto.

All are extremely tough, ergonomic, nice sheaths, and under $42. $33, $38 and $41.99 respectively at knifecenter.

I own multiples of each. They're nice for the price. Hiking I'll carry my lighter aqua salt, but I have an SRK that lives in my trunk for car camping etc.
:unicorn
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

My camping set-up:

1) For pot-poking, use a stick. They can be found long enough and are disposable. No need to risk messing up a knife.

2) A hatchet for breaking down firewood. Do yourself a favor and do the chopping with a hatchet instead of spending big bucks on an overbuilt fixed blade for this and then waste a ton of time re-sharpening it later. I like my Fiskars one from Home Depot

3) A Victorinox Trekker for general use. It has a locking blade with serrations toward the tip, which is perfect for eating with. It also has a double-cut saw and the other side of the locking liner locks a large flat screwdriver/bottle opener. Toothpick for getting that steak out of your teeth later. A reamer on the back for a small pokey tool.

4) A Mora Companion as your fixed blade knife for tougher chores than the SAK, but not as tough as the hatchet.

You're welcome. ;-)
-Jeremy
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Great suggestions vivi,

I've been keeping an eye on all three of those for quite a while. The value is obvious, just waiting for a use case/excuse.

The tanto came really close this time around. It's just a tad longer than the SRK (important as I already have a 6" Leuku that I find a hair too short for the purpose) and the hollow grind appears to be more pronounced, which I assume would be beneficial for cutting up food.

The expense is almost ignorable, so the main reason I didn't add one to my latest KC order is my intention to try the Kobun signature edition when it drops. While also being a tanto it's obviously a very different knife with different use in mind. With so many knives adding up over time, I'll try to limit myself to one tanto. That's not to say I've dismissed the Recon tanto, I'm just giving myself some more time to look for alternatives.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Smaug wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:54 am
My camping set-up:

1) For pot-poking, use a stick. They can be found long enough and are disposable. No need to risk messing up a knife.

2) A hatchet for breaking down firewood. Do yourself a favor and do the chopping with a hatchet instead of spending big bucks on an overbuilt fixed blade for this and then waste a ton of time re-sharpening it later. I like my Fiskars one from Home Depot

3) A Victorinox Trekker for general use. It has a locking blade with serrations toward the tip, which is perfect for eating with. It also has a double-cut saw and the other side of the locking liner locks a large flat screwdriver/bottle opener. Toothpick for getting that steak out of your teeth later. A reamer on the back for a small pokey tool.

4) A Mora Companion as your fixed blade knife for tougher chores than the SAK, but not as tough as the hatchet.

You're welcome. ;-)
I think you may have missed the gist of this thread, but I see that your advice is well meaning and I thank you for that.

I have my camp routine figured out, and it's not too different from what you recommend above. This isn't about that kind of camp knife. It's a fringe use case for sure, but I've tried it (with someone else's knife) and I know that under the specific circumstance that we camp during our annual bird hunt - this type of knife for this specific use proved to be surprisingly useful. And it's about having a bit of fun. I've never found any need for big knives and consequently don't have any. So this is partly my excuse to finally have one and actually get to use it - even if it's just one weekend, once a year.

Serious recommendations are appreciated, but don't take the underlaying justification too seriously ;)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

3V SRK with orange handle at midway for $99. If I had disposable income right now I'd grab one.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:15 am
3V SRK with orange handle at midway for $99. If I had disposable income right now I'd grab one.
Ohh! not what I had in mind and it’s really hard to justify another knife parcel from the US while my previous US originated knife indulgence is still in the mail, but man that was tempting :woozy

Thanks for sharing, whatever becomes of it
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

This thread has gotten me to pick up Two (2) largish fixed blade knives.. choose a knife so we can all move on.. 😂
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Not sure if you’ve found anything yet, but I just ordered an Ontario Woodsman. Seems to fit all your qualifications. Large uncoated tough and like 95$. 1/4 inch stock but full flat grind, it will slice. Can’t wait to try mine out! I’ll be making a leather sheath for it
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

jwbnyc wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:06 pm
This thread has gotten me to pick up Two (2) largish fixed blade knives.. choose a knife so we can all move on.. 😂
hahaha :)
not sure how to say this, but... you'll probably pick up a few more before I'm ready to choose :D
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Drubieg wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:10 pm
Not sure if you’ve found anything yet, but I just ordered an Ontario Woodsman. Seems to fit all your qualifications. Large uncoated tough and like 95$. 1/4 inch stock but full flat grind, it will slice. Can’t wait to try mine out! I’ll be making a leather sheath for it
I looked at Ontario in general, but this one escaped my attention. Just based on specs it does seem thicker and heavier than what I'd really need and prefer, but real life user experience may tell another story. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts when you've had some time with it.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:11 am
Drubieg wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:10 pm

I looked at Ontario in general, but this one escaped my attention. Just based on specs it does seem thicker and heavier than what I'd really need and prefer, but real life user experience may tell another story. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts when you've had some time with it.
Will do, comes in the mail today
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Played with the woodsman last night a bit, nothing substantial. I cut up a melon and hacked some logs. It did really well slicing the melon and the 1/4” stock wasn’t an issue. It feels pretty nimble to me, but I’m used carrying and using what are thought of as large knives. Has good weight to chop although I will round the handle more, the corners are abrupt and create a hot spot. I’m gunna clean up and refine the whole knife probably because it’s fit and finish is rather sloppy… but not a problem for $95 dollars USA made. I think you’ll like it for your uses