Just acquired a Chinook 1 440V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
American1776

Just acquired a Chinook 1 440V

Post by American1776 »

Was always a fan of the original Chinook.

I just acquired a NIB Original Chinook with the 440V steel.

It’s a beautiful piece, in all its heft.

Here are some pics next to my Chinook 4 and my Strider SMF.

Anyone EDC one of these? It’s going into my rotation.
Attachments
F87088C8-CA4A-450E-BDB1-2FF91B01CA8E.jpeg
51F1AD29-CCE8-4926-B44C-94BDFCAE9246.jpeg
benben

Re: Just acquired a Chinook 1 440V

Post by benben »

I'm all in for a video of you cutting those other two knives in half with your new Chinook 1 ;)
American1776

Post by American1776 »

This blade is definitely a robust chunk of steel.

The grinds are beautiful though.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been tempted by the 4 many times, I just have reservations about EDCing a blade with so much belly. Checks so many boxes for me though.....stout lock with a self close, no choil, roomy grip, tip up carry, etc....
:unicorn
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I searched for 15 years to find mine here in Europe.
Its not a user since i have a chinook 2 user but i do love to cut light stuff with it. (So it does not sit there collecting dust)

Its a beast of a knife with probably the most beautiful bladeshape of any spydie ever made in my opinion. The big belly is indeed not as edc friendly that is why i love the original Manixes so much.
But the hollowground is amazing and the steel is very nice.
That is why i dislike the newer chinooks. The ffg doesn’t do it for me on this model. And now that they killed off its lockback and powerlock its completely ruined for me.

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I carry mine from time to time. Quite a boat anchor in the pocket.
chinook_03.jpg
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Man, these are some beautiful knives. I would love a sprint with the OG blade grind and power lock - it would make a fantastic work knife.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
apollo

Post by apollo »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:00 pm
Man, these are some beautiful knives. I would love a sprint with the OG blade grind and power lock - it would make a fantastic work knife.
That would be an excellent idea.
But since the tooling is long gone for this model and they are currently in the manufacturing of the chinook 5 is guess that is impossible. ( The 5 by the way isnt even a lockback or powerlock anymore just another compression lock with an even harder stretched out ffg blade )
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

apollo wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:31 pm
JoviAl wrote:
But since the tooling is long gone for this model and they are currently in the manufacturing of the chinook 5 is guess that is impossible. ( The 5 by the way isnt even a lockback or powerlock anymore just another compression lock with an even harder stretched out ffg blade )
I’ve just messaged a buddy of mine who has a huge Spyderco collection (400+) and he has a C63G (S30V) and a C63GPS (440V) BNIB that he’s willing to sell me with no mark up 😬 I wasn’t planning on dropping cash on knives this month, but 🤷🏼‍♂️
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
vivi

Post by vivi »

who has the word on the chinook 5?

I've seen mentions of it pop up multiple times, but last time I searched for info I don't recall seeing anything from the past 2 years.
:unicorn
apollo

Post by apollo »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:38 am
apollo wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
I’ve just messaged a buddy of mine who has a huge Spyderco collection (400+) and he has a C63G (S30V) and a C63GPS (440V) BNIB that he’s willing to sell me with no mark up 😬 I wasn’t planning on dropping cash on knives this month, but 🤷🏼‍♂️
Those would be some great catches!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:46 am
who has the word on the chinook 5?

I've seen mentions of it pop up multiple times, but last time I searched for info I don't recall seeing anything from the past 2 years.
These are the last couple of mentions I recall Sal making about it. Seems like it was just in the idea stage.
sal wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:56 pm
We're working on a new Chinook.

sal
sal wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:19 pm
So I'm getting mixed messages on what would be desired. We made the later Chinooks lighter due to the many complaints about the weight of the earlier models. Most of the "I love the older models" was based on their appearance and not their performance. I am working on a Chinook and I did speak with James about it, bu we didn't go into details. I had thought to use the Power lock, but have recently changed my thinking to a Compression Lock. I haven't spoken with James about it, Maybe we can get him to chime in here?

sal
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
apollo

Post by apollo »

Well i used my Chinook 2 for 5 years straight and its still one of my regular edc knives.
The thing has bin scratched up and the edge dinged up and sharpened a thousand times already.
And i think that it gives me the experience to say that as "one of those people that likes the early models" the people who complained of the early models not performing well are a bunch of people that are just not capable or not willing to use a knife like that.

And in my opinion like most knives that got bad reviews most complainers never even bought the knife in the first place but they just like to complain and that will never stop..
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

apollo wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
This is so bad…compression lock on Chinook is like Ferrari with an auto transmission. Backlock master race Chinook for me
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

3 and 1