I have a confession. I don't like N690

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

I have a confession. I don't like N690

Post by Doc Dan »

I really don't care for N690 that much. In my use, it just doesn't hold an edge as well as VG10 and other steels. N680 would at least give us corrosion resistance that was greater, though the edge retention isn't great, either. I wonder if there is a better base steel that could be used on Italian Spydercos?

I realize I am probably alone in this opinion, but it is what it is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Stuart Ackerman

Re: I have a confession. I don't like N690

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

N690 and VG10 are closely related.
The HT is almost the same.

Could the HRC be an issue?
Last edited by Stuart Ackerman on Wed May 10, 2023 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I don’t have a lot of experience with N690. Is it N690 in general, or just that made by the Italian manufacturer. The reason I ask is I had a M390 steel I was disappointed in from a reputable Italian company. It was a pole apart from other M390/20CV/204P I own.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:26 am
N690 and VG10 are closely related.
The HT is almost the same.

Could the HRC might be an issue?
Sorry OP and Stuart, I was typing when you posted. Didn’t mean to bombard!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I have a confession. I like N690Co more than VG10. It sharpens like a dream and keeps an edge as long as VG10. My N690Co Urban is a champ. Sorry Thomas …😀
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
R100

Post by R100 »

I'd have to say the edge holding of the N690 in my Pattada seems a bit better than any of my many VG10 blades and it's just as easy to sharpen. Fit and finish of that one is perfect too. As good as any of my Taichung models. That's the only Spyderco N690 I have though so maybe I just got lucky.

Dan
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

N690 can be heat treated to a really good spot ! I've had a custom blade in this steel with a very good heat treat. Good resistance to impact for a stainless, better corrosion resistance than VG10 and relatively similar edge retention.

In my mind, it's a good simple steel.
But to each their own !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have 4 or 5 knives in the steel and while I really like the knives, I tolerate the steel. Maybe it is my imagination, but I have knives in all sorts of steels and this is the only one ever complain about.

I can get the knives extremely sharp very easily. That is no issue. I mainly use knives to open packages that have been delivered nowadays, though fruit cutting does happen. To me, it seems I open a couple of packages and I have to resharpen. The only other steel that I have like that is plain edged H1 and that is expected with that steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Custom heat treated N690 can be really nice. I remember testing an N690 knife treated to around 63 HRC and it was a weird but great experience. Felt glassy on sharpening yet took nearly zero effort to reprofile. Held an edge similarly well to production S30V blades in cardboard and similar cutting. Didn't do any toughness testing but I didn't experience any chipping etc during sharpening and cutting
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

N690 is a perfectly adequate non-powdered stainless steel and it’s still used a lot in Europe and South Africa. It’s more like 154CM and VG-10. I remember back in 2005 these three were the most common stainless steels. Arno Bernard of South Africa and Extrema Ratio of Italy still use N690. Emerson is a 154CM diehard. VG-10 is used a lot by Spyderco for their Japanese-made knives.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RamZar wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:09 am
N690 is a perfectly adequate non-powdered stainless steel and it’s still used a lot in Europe and South Africa. It’s more like 154CM and VG-10. I remember back in 2005 these three were the most common stainless steels. Arno Bernard of South Africa and Extrema Ratio of Italy still use N690. Emerson is a 154CM diehard. VG-10 is used a lot by Spyderco for their Japanese-made knives.
Yes, it is in the same class as VG-10 and 154CM and ATS-34, et. al. I just prefer those steels to it, for some reason.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

My experience with N690 has been similar to others in this thread. It’s a balanced non-PM steel, very similar to 154CM and close to VG10

The main thing that bothers me about N690 is it being sold on expensive production Euro knives at a premium price.
Last edited by dull&blunt on Sat May 13, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

double post, apologies
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

dull&blunt wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 8:31 pm
The main thing that bothers me about N690 is it being sold on expensive production Euro knives at a premium price.

Extrema Ratio of Italy is the most guilty of still using N690 steel on expensive production knives. To a lesser extent, Fox of Italy and Boker of Germany.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have a confession:

I am biased, cause N690 is an Austrian steel and I love my home country... :smiling-halo

... actually never tried N690 in a Spyderco, but only in an Enzo Trapper fixed blade (smaller bushcraft knife)- ffg version, not the scandi grind that is actually more popular in this model.

Not a bad choice for that knife in my use, but can't really compare it to an EDC folder.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It isn't a bad steel, at all. I just prefer the others.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:40 pm
It isn't a bad steel, at all. I just prefer the others.

I fully understand!

Can't even really tell how I'd like N690 in an EDC folder.
It does just fine in that bush craft fixed blade I have, but I don't use that one much.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I've had a good experience with Spyderco's N690, on the now-discontinued Spy-DK model. For edge retention, I'd rate it as being somewhere between Spyderco's BD1 and VG-10, although this is obviously just a subjective assessment.

I have had a bad experience with another company's N690, though: sharpening it felt "gummy" & gave rise to a burr that I could just knock back & forth all day. Maybe it was poor technique on my part, but while I'm not a pro-level sharpener like many of the folks here, I'm no amateur either & have years of experience sharpening my own knives & others' knives. I chalked it up to a suspect heat treatment & from what I've since gathered online, this seems to be a relatively infrequent but nonetheless recurring complaint about this particular manufacturer's knives.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

zuludelta wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:42 pm
I've had a good experience with Spyderco's N690, on the now-discontinued Spy-DK model. For edge retention, I'd rate it as being somewhere between Spyderco's BD1 and VG-10, although this is obviously just a subjective assessment.

I have had a bad experience with another company's N690, though: sharpening it felt "gummy" & gave rise to a burr that I could just knock back & forth all day. Maybe it was poor technique on my part, but while I'm not a pro-level sharpener like many of the folks here, I'm no amateur either & have years of experience sharpening my own knives & others' knives. I chalked it up to a suspect heat treatment & from what I've since gathered online, this seems to be a relatively infrequent but nonetheless recurring complaint about this particular manufacturer's knives.
I'm glad you said "gummy". I was going to use that exact word describing sharpening this steel. It never feels crisp while sharpening, though it does take a sharp edge.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zenith2

Post by zenith2 »

N690 tends to feel gummy around 58HRC in my experience, at 61+ different steel on the stones.