Best Seki K390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Best Seki K390

Post by The Mastiff »

I like K390 so much I bought a second Endura and Police in it. It's an exceptional knife steel IMO even though it needs maintenance ( whatever you prefer for non stainless) for corrosion. I use the Endura mostly now but that is because I have the most familiarity with Enduras and have carried one since 1992. Whichever one fits you best will be just perfect.

As far as S90V I think it will work out fine for you unless you have unusually hard use needs. I mean exceptionally hard use not just a pretty normal use. If you can't get what you need out of it by just thickening the edge a bit than you probably need more than a different steel. I heard all the rumors before I tried it myself including the "it doesn't take sharp edges", " you can't sharpen it with anything but diamonds" and all the rest and I found all of them untrue.

It's an excellent steel also. I prefer K390 but I have several S90V knives as well and have never had any problems using them either.

Joe
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

How thin BTE my K390 Delica is is where it's at right now for me.
The K390 wharncliffe dragonfly is duper cool too but limited with the blade length.

The K390 SS Stretch 2 is superior, but I do not use half as much as the both I mentionned ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Police 4 is the only one I have but it's pretty freakin awesome. Haven't sharpened the serrations in almost a year and have used it extensively.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

OP - I recall you saying you were on the novice side of sharpening, despite your username haha! I'm not sure if you're ready to tackle 15V or K390 at this point. They could be tricky.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

They're all good. You'll be happy with any of the K390 Lightweight models. They are all awesome.

I really like the Police4, PE and SE though they are different beasts.

But I also love my Wharncliffe Delica, Dragonfly, Ladybug, and Manbug. If you need a small knife with a lot of cutting power those are the way to go. If you prefer the largest blade possible to make cutting easier (and I do) go with the Police4.

At the office I'm carrying the Manbug and Ladybug, at home I carry the Police4.

Haven't tried the stretch yet but I'm sure thats an awesome blade too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

The k390 endura is very nice I use it as a hunting knife
I am kinda @ buyer’s remorse for pulling the trigger on a serrated endela vg10, and not wait for
My full serrated k390 to arrive :spiral-eyes :spiral-eyes :spiral-eyes
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:41 pm

It's pretty hard to beat a Stretch in K390.
The most beautiful Stretch too , I might add ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

My pick is Delica for normal edc use simply because it has the thinnest blade. For a lot more comfort in the hand, go with the Stretch 2 when it arrives. For more blade/self defense/tactical go Police 4 or Endura. You really can’t go wrong with any of them.
Last edited by BIGSTRETCH on Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

If we are just talking looks I think the wharncliffe Delica looks great. It depends on the size you need. For me personally if I was considering getting and Endela or Endura size seki I would just op for an a stretch or else go for a police. I don’t like how skinny the endura is for how long the blade is it makes it uncomfortable to hold in a hammer grip. The Delica will be the best cutter though.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:33 am
OP - I recall you saying you were on the novice side of sharpening, despite your username haha! I'm not sure if you're ready to tackle 15V or K390 at this point. They could be tricky.
He seems determined enough. As long as he uses diamonds or cbn he should be ok. I personally find that k390 apexes quite nicely it just takes longer. In my experience k390 is actually more predictable than rex45. However maybe it’s that if you mess up your angle once it has less of a negative effect on more wear resistant steels.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:42 am
I like K390 so much I bought a second Endura and Police in it. It's an exceptional knife steel IMO even though it needs maintenance ( whatever you prefer for non stainless) for corrosion. I use the Endura mostly now but that is because I have the most familiarity with Enduras and have carried one since 1992. Whichever one fits you best will be just perfect.

As far as S90V I think it will work out fine for you unless you have unusually hard use needs. I mean exceptionally hard use not just a pretty normal use. If you can't get what you need out of it by just thickening the edge a bit than you probably need more than a different steel. I heard all the rumors before I tried it myself including the "it doesn't take sharp edges", " you can't sharpen it with anything but diamonds" and all the rest and I found all of them untrue.

It's an excellent steel also. I prefer K390 but I have several S90V knives as well and have never had any problems using them either.

Joe
Agreed. As long as I’m not planning on sweating a lot. K390 is probably my favorite steel so far.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Since you want a Manix in the first place, my recommendation would be the one most similar to the Manix. For me, this is the Stretch 2. Finger choil and great ergos.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:11 pm
Currently I'd say the Police 4 but I'm really hoping K390/SE makes it to the Rock/Leaf Jumpers and I'd love to see it in some Golden models if that ever happens.
I'm with you there. Hoping that with the release of the Leaf Jumper the sales will justify K390 versions. I'd buy both the wharnie and leaf blade versions.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Paraguy wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:33 am
He seems determined enough. As long as he uses diamonds or cbn he should be ok. I personally find that k390 apexes quite nicely it just takes longer. In my experience k390 is actually more predictable than rex45. However maybe it’s that if you mess up your angle once it has less of a negative effect on more wear resistant steels.
I know people say steels like 15v and K390 are hard to sharpen but if you have an appropriate stone (diamond or CBN) then how much difference is there really? Isn’t the same basic sharpening principles universal regardless of the steel?

I am guessing people call it hard as they don’t reach the apex and therefor never really sharpen the edge.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ohhhh William...still have a lot of learning to do. Anybody can reach the apex at the right angle. It's about progressing through with the proper stones, proper angle, the entire time...which with those steels requires time, patience and a steady hand to keep everything even the entire time. Just because someone has the right equipment doesn't mean they have the right touch.

Tackling steels like those vs many others that are out there, when you're a novice, can or likely will lead to some frustration. Especially if thinking the Sharpmaker is the right tool for those steels.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:34 pm

I am guessing people call it hard as they don’t reach the apex and therefor never really sharpen the edge.
You kinda answered your own question. There's also other mistakes that can make an edge just not sharp. Putting too much pressure, not knowing how to deburr, etc.

It's something that can only come wiht experience and knowledge. Using a magnifier to see what you are doing, how a pass on the stone affects the secondary bevel, is a good thing to do. But until you sharpen some S110V, K390 (or any steel really) yourself, you can't really know wich obstacles you'll encounter !

People saying some steels are hard to sharpen are often referring to the time it takes to sharpen them, or the fact that high alloy steel needs premium abrasive (and they won't accept to use these abrasives :squinting-tongue )
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:16 pm
Ohhhh William...still have a lot of learning to do. Anybody can reach the apex at the right angle. It's about progressing through with the proper stones, proper angle, the entire time...which with those steels requires time, patience and a steady hand to keep everything even the entire time. Just because someone has the right equipment doesn't mean they have the right touch.

Tackling steels like those vs many others that are out there, when you're a novice, can or likely will lead to some frustration. Especially if thinking the Sharpmaker is the right tool for those steels.
Absolutely I still have a ton to Lear, that is why I want to get a 15V knife, to get hands on and figure it out. Been hand sharpening knives for 30 years with reasonable results. But I can always get better and learn more.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

I bought both the Endura and the Stretch and I felt that the Endura was a better choice for what I use a knife for but it was a really difficult decision to make.
northvanbamboo

Post by northvanbamboo »

I was convinced I like finger choils until I realized it actually snags and gets in the way, so I would opt for endura or endela. Both great knives, just depends what is your favorite blade length. I like having an apple or two a day and anything with shorter blade than the two above doesn't cut it for me. Let us know what have you ended up getting
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

stretch2_patina.jpg
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)