Pacific Salt in Magnacut, with a handle like the Siren.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
asdfghjkl

Pacific Salt in Magnacut, with a handle like the Siren.

Post by asdfghjkl »

I am checking to see if this can get some momentum going. I'm a working diver on a boat and salt's are the only knives we use. H1 Atlantics in the water and LC200N Pacific Salts on the deck. LC200N is a great steel but having more edge retention would be useful since poly line is pretty brutal. Also, having a handle that's a little more solid in the hand than FRN would also be nice. I'd like to see if there's any desire for a Pacific Salt with linerless G10 handles with a lot of texture (like the Siren or Waterway) coupled with a Magnacut blade? In my opinion this would be the perfect knife for boat/marine use. I love the Siren and the Caribbean, but the Pacific salt is much better in many ways to both of them when it comes to an actual working knife.
cabfrank

Re: Pacific Salt in Magnacut, with a handle like the Siren.

Post by cabfrank »

I think it could be splitting hairs too fine for sales purposes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd be in for a few.

Either way hope we see more salts constructed like the siren.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would love to see more linerless G10 Salts. However, I would NOT want one if the texture is so aggressive it makes them into pocket shredders.

Jim
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Yessirie Bob. Once Spyderco gets MagnaCut down pat, I'm looking forward to MagnaCut becoming the base steel for most of my Spyderco purchases in the near future.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Definitely. I'd like to see the G-10 in yellow.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Count me in. I love the aggressive texture of the siren. The more aggressive the better when in and around water IMO. The E4 handle is steadily rising to be my favorite handle design.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Not having handled a Siren, but having the usual experience with textured G10 I'm surprised that you find that superior to the FRN texturing. Is the Siren G10 more heavily textured than typical G10? Or by 'solid in the hand' do you mean something other than texturing? Do you and co-workers prefer plain edge or Spydie edge? Thanks.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Bemo wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:10 pm
Not having handled a Siren, but having the usual experience with textured G10 I'm surprised that you find that superior to the FRN texturing. Is the Siren G10 more heavily textured than typical G10? Or by 'solid in the hand' do you mean something other than texturing? Do you and co-workers prefer plain edge or Spydie edge? Thanks.
It's a rougher g10 than on most Spydies for sure
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bemo wrote:
I own both knives and have used them for years.

The Siren (and yojumbo) have a much more aggressive texture. They are grippier than the FRN models.

The Siren handle is stiffer than the Pacific Salt 1 or 2. When gripped hard the scales show less flex. Weight aside it feels more like a linered knife than not.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see the Siren and Waterway run in Magnacut, with no other changes to them.

I also think that Magnacut would make a great addition to the standard steel range that Spyderco uses. Either use it to replace s30v as the baseline Golden steel, or use it to replace H1/H2 and LC200N in the salt series.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Based on the results of my corrosion resistance and edge performance testing I would like to see both the Siren and Waterway offered in Magnacut.

—On a side note, I would very much like to see them both offered in serrated versions too. Especially the Siren. I feel like every Salt knife should have a serrated option and I would love to have one to carry daily on the water. I feel like a serrated Siren + a PE Waterway would be a “do it all” combo for a fisherman or anyone on the water!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Siren is one of my favorite knives , I definitely would like to see a Magnacut blade . Actually would love to see a longer blade version . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:30 am
The Siren is one of my favorite knives , I definitely would like to see a Magnacut blade . Actually would love to see a longer blade version . MG2
count me in for a Siren XL. While I love just about everything with the design, the handle has always felt a little small for me, which is the main reason I tend to carry my Pacifics instead. But I really like the build quality, the edge all the way to the handle and many other details of the Siren. Very good design. Writing this makes me want to swap out my Resilience for my Siren next time I'm at the house.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:32 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
count me in for a Siren XL. While I love just about everything with the design, the handle has always felt a little small for me, which is the main reason I tend to carry my Pacifics instead. But I really like the build quality, the edge all the way to the handle and many other details of the Siren. Very good design. Writing this makes me want to swap out my Resilience for my Siren next time I'm at the house.
Thanks for comment, we are very much on the same page . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Are we talking the Pacific Salt’s hollow-grind in SE MagnaCut, and the Siren’s choil-less finger-guarding handle in addition to its grippy G10?

Doesn’t sound like it, but I’d go for something like that.

I suspect that Spyderco regards the current Pacific Salt handles a better cost-proposition than roughened G10, if not also as good functionally. FWIW, I have 3 Pacific Salts with the E3 handle, and they’re just fine for this now-occasional snorkeler and canoeist.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
asdfghjkl

Post by asdfghjkl »

Bemo wrote:
So I like the FRN handles a lot, but I prefer the feel of the G10 handle like the Siren because they are stiffer and don't compress together as much when you squeeze the grip, they just feel higher end. I don't know if its possible to mold the G10 like FRN because its layered, maybe someone else knows better than I do?? I believe the salts with G10 handles like the Siren, Waterway and Caribbean are milled, which would be needed for this one as well.

So in the serrated vs plain edge i can say this and people can chime in if they like. For the actual dive knives, we use the serrated H1 Atlantic's. Since they arent used very often they don't actually get dull. And when they are used its almost always going to be line of some type or who knows what. The "who knows what" is why we have the serrated edge since it can saw through some pretty knarly stuff if need be. And if they do become dull they can still get the job done compared to a dull PE. On the deck though I have switched us to plain edge. The reason for moving over to PE on the deck is I personally hate sharpening serrated and I can sharpen a PE to cut line as fast or faster then SE. Also, I feel that PE is just more useful for other random EDC tasks. A lot of personal preference and the experience of dealing with SE vs PE maintenance.
asdfghjkl

Post by asdfghjkl »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:25 am
Are we talking the Pacific Salt’s hollow-grind in SE MagnaCut, and the Siren’s choil-less finger-guarding handle in addition to its grippy G10?
So when i say "built like the Siren", i'm just referring to the linerless G10 with high texture. It would still be a Pacific Salt in all regards.

If I had my way, I would say hollow-grind over the full flat actually for three reasons. First, its much easier to sharpen a hollow grind in a wicked edge. Secondly, a hollow grind blade is heavier and drops easier when you close it with one hand. Lastly, its stronger in the rare and highly forbidden case of prying with your knife.
asdfghjkl

Post by asdfghjkl »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:44 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:32 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thanks for comment, we are very much on the same page . Dan
I love my Siren as well. Its definitely my go to knife not at work and sometimes at work. I didnt buy it as the issued knife because unlike the fish it was designed stab, we need to keep the average employee hole-less. :) The Siren's tip is beautiful and stabby, but the Pacific's somewhat rounded tip is just a bit safer yet can still pierce.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

asdfghjkl wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:26 pm
So when i say "built like the Siren", i'm just referring to the linerless G10 with high texture. It would still be a Pacific Salt in all regards.
Gotcha. I’d not object to a roughened G10 Pacific Salt, even if with E4 rather than my favored E3 handles.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”