Why should one buy spyderco knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Why should one buy spyderco knife?

Post by Bill1170 »

You should buy a Spyderco knife for two reasons.

1) You want to own it.

2) Stealing is wrong.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:40 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:51 am
A bit shorter than usual there, Wartstein?

Man!!! :pleading

Thanks for letting me know... actually I wrote a quite long and I think thought through reply... no idea what happened... :/
:') I thought you were saying "Period!" in agreement with the previous post.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

If you are particular about the steel, and how it performs, Spyderco is hard to beat. They nail their heat treatment and produce a knife that will perform. To me, that’s why.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

1. It's got a round hole
2. They do things the right way, rather than the convenient way

I find myself answering this question from folks on Reddit quite often. If the only thing you're looking at are spec sheets, you can get more value for your money by buying from one of the Chinese brands like Civivi.

I tend to compare it to cars a lot. Hyundai + Kia offer more value for your money, in theory, than Volkswagen, but:
1. VW has turbodiesels, and
2. They do things the right way, rather than the convenient way

Now, the Korean car companies have come a long way in the past twenty years, but if you drive a 2004 Accent vs. a Golf of a similar vintage you'll get the idea.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

In my opinion, honestly, because they are worth it.

I have had plenty of $10 to $30 cheap knives. An Endura 4 might be 3 to 5 times the price but it is easily 10 times the knife.

Also...
Salt series

Super steels

Mule teams

A real warranty

The fact that Spyderco pretty much came up with the design criteria that all "modern" pocket knives seem to follow. (Pocket clip, one handed operation, etc)

Huge variety in the catalog.

They listen to their customers and do collaborations with not only custom makers, but customers, forum members, and end line users as well.

The salt series alone was enough to sell me on Spyderco.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Another metric for answering the OP’s question is counterfeiting.

Spyderco has a number of iconic models that tend to be “cloned” and sold either at par with the genuine one or lower. Either way the seller wins.

The fact of counterfeiting as an ongoing problem for Spyderco testifies to the goodness of the brand. Of course, it also means that sourcing models must be done with real care.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Hole and teeth, that’s why ! :winking-tongue
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

IMO, even if CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Tool) has a knife out in the same steel as a certain Spyderco model, but is cheaper, the equivalent Spyderco knife would most likely be better made and well worth the extra % it costs over the CRKT. But I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything.

I also like Victorinox and Spyderco knives equally, but for different reasons. Spyderco might seem like it's big, but it is actually a small company. Especially compared to a giant like Victorinox which, IIRC, is the largest cutlery maker in Europe (and likely the world), and manufacturers about 45,000 knives a day. And their quality consistency is outstanding. So obviously, Spyderco won't have the customer service outlets on every continent, or in every country, like Victorinox likely has.

In the end, it comes down to what someone likes, and is willing to pay. Any good knife under US $100 that's used a lot will more than pay for itself over time, and may even end up costing less in the long run, than choosing a lesser-quality product with similar-sounding stats that doesn't hold up as well, and needs replacing sooner.

Jim
millingmachine862

Post by millingmachine862 »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:46 pm
Hole and teeth, that’s why ! :winking-tongue
What are the benefits of using a knife with a serated blade? It seems for me that it would make it even more expensive as one would have to buy dedicated sharpening tool.
Collection: C136GP
Sorry for my English, I am still learning.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Baenz,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Milling Machine,

Thanx for the question and thread. Interesting discussion. With regards to the "Why Spyderco" question, The dedication and passion of the ownership for the performance knife is the answer. It just comes through in the knife.

On serrations; We introduced serrated folding knives to the market in 1982, along with a tool that would do a good job maintaining the serrated edge. Serrations offer a variety of advantages when cutting most things;

1) It's a longer cutting edge.
2) Teeth tend to "grab" more aggressively on materials like rope. Think of a sharp straight razor just sliding off of a rope rather than actually cutting it.
3) Serrations tend to remain sharper, longer than plain edges by about double, on the same steel.
4) Properly made and maintained serrations are a reliable "go to" for getting the job done. Remember, not all serrations are created equally.

for starters.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

every time I buy a CRKT i'm just not satisfied. So I always reach for one of my spydercos
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

millingmachine862 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:28 pm

Why should one buy spyderco knife?

You shouldn't. You should buy Spyderco KNIVES. Many of them. They are the best.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

As a fellow citizen of europe i am glad to tell you of the 100+ Spydies i own , owned and tested from friend or family. I still need to find one that has a flaw for me to return.
Also in the case if you buy a knife from a reputable dealer and there is something wrong with it they will take it back and send you a new one.
If a spydie fails because off extreem use or abuse trust me in europe you are screwed for any brand except maybe victorinox. But those are the masters of multitools not pocket knives.
A spyderco will last you a lifetime if you take care of it. I use them daily for everything i need to cut and not one of my spydies is even close to being end of life. Full of scratches yes , bend clip yes , 1 or 2 even lost a tip. But all of them still work as new.
millingmachine862

Let's suppose that above comments convinced me to possibly buy a Spyderco knife.
But why should I buy "Spyderco" Spyderco knife instead of "Byrd" Spyderco knife?
More precisely I have been looking for something to replace my Victorinox 84 mm pocket knife and I came accross the Byrd Robin 2 (in the Warncliffe variant) and Spyderco Ladybug.
If you skip the size differences, lack of clip and country of origin which does not affect quality of the knife , You are only left with the blade material which differs them from each other.
Is it the fit and finish that makes the price of Ladybug so much higher?
How much of a difference is between the VG-10 and 8Cr13MoV?
Is it worth paying two times the price of the byrd knife for the better steel?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Spyderco knives work very well.
At one point I had a good sized collection of folding knives from a variety of brands. I started buying Spyderco knives and sold all of those others, now except for one lone model of another brand all of the folding knives that I carry and use are Spyderco.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

I have little to add to the excellent observations and rationale provided here.
But I will offer this bit of advice … if you do decide to try a Spyderco, ask for guidance in deciding which to start with. Consider your typical use, your environment, and any other requirements; and then let the fine folks in this community help you find the right knife.
BTW, this great community is yet another reason to join the Spyderco fold!
Best of luck in your quest.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi MillingMachine,

Cost difference is due to Country of Origin and Blade Steel.

Personally, I would suggest a Delica, Full Flat VG-10 plain edge (Japan) of a Para 3 full flat S30V plain edge (USA) and go from there. I designed the Delica and my son Eric designed the Para 3. I do not believe you will be disappointed

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Well there you have it. I would listen to sal.
millingmachine862

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:08 pm
Hi MillingMachine,

Personally, I would suggest a Delica, Full Flat VG-10 plain edge (Japan) of a Para 3 full flat S30V plain edge (USA) and go from there. I designed the Delica and my son Eric designed the Para 3. I do not believe you will be disappointed

sal
What about the smaller knives? I would prefer a knife with blade length from 50 mm to about 65 mm and I am only going to be using it for light tasks (the toughest material that I would probably cut with it would be cardboard or wire insulation). Also it would be nice if the knife itself would have a "friendly" and "safe" look to it, so if I would be to take it out in a public space it would not make anyone feel unsafe. It would not be my main "work" knife for heavier cutting tasks because that is what I have my Mora for.

Also I really appriciate your help. It is not often that one can contact the maker of the product for advice.

I have edited the original post because of typing error.
Last edited by millingmachine862 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

millingmachine862 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:01 am
sal wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:08 pm
Hi MillingMachine,

sal
What about the smaller knives? I would prefer a knife with blade length from 50 mm to about 65 mm and I am only going to be using it for light tasks (the toughest material that I would probably cut with it would be cardboard or wire insulation). Also it would be nice if the knife itself would have a "friendly" and "safe" look to it, so if I would be to take it out in a public space it would not make anyone feel unsafe. It would not be my main "work" knife for heavier cutting tasks because that is what I have my Mora for.

Also I really appriciate Your help. It is not often that one can contact the maker of the product for advice.
Might I suggest the Dragonfly, in either VG-10 if you want stainless and easy-to-sharpen, or K390 if you want a steel that will take a great edge and hold it through a lot of work. Compared to the knives you're looking at it might seem a bit pricey, but it has among the best ergonomics for a knife it's size on the market.