What types of material do you cut the most?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's everyone cutting besides the cheese?

Boxes (corrugated/cardboard)
25%
Fabrics
5%
Food Prep
14%
Wood (whittling/carving etc)
8%
Plants/Gardening (similar to wood I guess)
11%
Plastics (zip ties, packaging etc)
25%
Rubber
2%
Hunting/Animal processing/fishing
4%
Car bumpers/doors/etc
2%
Other (what else is there?)
5%

Total votes: 185

aicolainen

Re: What types of material do you cut the most?

Post by aicolainen »

This is hard to answer, but I believe it would fall in the category; plastics (packaging, zip ties, etc).

Working with electronic sensors and control systems, I do a component evaluation, prototyping and pilot assembly/delivery.
It involves a fair amount of unpacking components (ESD bags, typically), opening boxes (not breaking them down, i.e. cutting packing tape), protective sheaths on cables and zip ties whenever something needs to be redone, re-routed etc.

I’m still not sure, as I also do lots of other stuff.
But even projects at home, though more construction oriented, still involves much of the same process of opening stuff, cutting cable sheaths, etc.. probably more than anything else.

Outdoor, fishing and hunting makes up a lot of my knife carry, but not extreme amounts of use.
I wish I was processing a lot more fish, it’s not for lack of effort - I’m just not good at it. Most of the cutting is, unfortunately, prepping my fishing line when switching between different bait, lures etc.

Food prep and cocking is probably a larger part of my knife use than than my immediate thought would lead me to believe. I like making food and making as much as possible from scratch, with minimal use of processed ingredients. Usually not very advanced, just “pure” and knowing whats in it. This is of course a perfect scenario for my knives to come out. And they do quite a bit, maybe even the most, but it’s more concentrated in time than the other uses, so it (at least) feels less.
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

Working as an on site project manager for a general contractor and running heavy equipment fairly often, my knives get used all day. Breaking down lots of banding/packaging/straps, cutting hoses and belts. Probably my second most used tool. First being tied with my pencil and my flashlight, third being pliers.

I’ve started carrying the tiny Knipex Cobras in a pocket at work and it’s saved me a lot of time and headaches already.
Slightly obsessed…
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Teddy0215 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:12 pm
Working as an on site project manager for a general contractor and running heavy equipment fairly often, my knives get used all day. Breaking down lots of banding/packaging/straps, cutting hoses and belts. Probably my second most used tool. First being tied with my pencil and my flashlight, third being pliers.

I’ve started carrying the tiny Knipex Cobras in a pocket at work and it’s saved me a lot of time and headaches already.
Just curious Teddy. What type of construction projects do you get involved in?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Teddy0215 wrote:

I carry a small cobra and pliers wrench in my tool belt, large ones in the toolbox. Knipex rocks.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Boxes, more boxes, plastic, packaging, paper, mail, tape, zip ties, and twist ties. I didn't vote food prep, because I don't typically do that with my folders (all though I do with my salt knives on rare occasions).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

For folders: Cardboard, plastic, and all kinds of packaging is my main usage. Here on the acreage, I do a lot of pruning/trimming of all sorts of plant matter, and occasional food use in the house (although I usually use dedicated kitchen knives for that).
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

So this got me thinking and with my folders / carry knives, hands down most use is in the cardboard and plastic categories … but my actual knife use is probably mainly food prep. Which brings me to once again appreciate the two Spyderco kitchen utility knives in MBS-26 that I have used for years (one SE, one PE); I rely on them far more than I imagined I would. I don’t see those knives getting the props they deserve. I have a pretty nice high end set of kitchen knives, but guess which knives I reach for most often?
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

If I assume correctly this is not exclusively folding knives were talking about? If so I definitely cut food more than anything else. I did recently move to a house with lots of plants in the garden, so my knives got plenty of use unpacking and breaking down boxes for the move, and I've been using my knives in my new garden too, but not much.

To be honest, I wish I had more to use my pocket knife on, but it doesn't get used super often. That's why I haven't had an excuse to replace my Chinese made knife. :'(

Because I don't have a lot of utility tasks though, I recently have gotten interested in buying a nicer kitchen knife. I practice a lot freehand sharpening, and kitchen knives are something I use constantly and can test the results of my work on something practical. Sure I can get by with cheap kitchen knives, but they get used a lot, unlike my folders, so I am hoping I can scrounge up the money to invest in one good kitchen knife that I will really enjoy.
On Edge wrote: So this got me thinking and with my folders / carry knives, hands down most use is in the cardboard and plastic categories … but my actual knife use is probably mainly food prep. Which brings me to once again appreciate the two Spyderco kitchen utility knives in MBS-26 that I have used for years; far more than I imagined I would. I don’t see those knives getting the props they deserve. I have a pretty nice high end set of kitchen knives, but guess which knives I reach for most often?
Hey On Edge, as I said above, I've gotten interested in kitchen knives. What makes you prefer the Spydercos over your other high end knives, which I am kind of assuming from your comment are probably more expensive as well. Is it comfort, cutting performance? Just curious what makes people prefer different knives in the kitchen.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:08 pm
If I assume correctly this is not exclusively folding knives were talking about? If so I definitely cut food more than anything else. I did recently move to a house with lots of plants in the garden, so my knives got plenty of use unpacking and breaking down boxes for the move, and I've been using my knives in my new garden too, but not much.

To be honest, I wish I had more to use my pocket knife on, but it doesn't get used super often. That's why I haven't had an excuse to replace my Chinese made knife. :'(

Because I don't have a lot of utility tasks though, I recently have gotten interested in buying a nicer kitchen knife. I practice a lot freehand sharpening, and kitchen knives are something I use constantly and can test the results of my work on something practical. Sure I can get by with cheap kitchen knives, but they get used a lot, unlike my folders, so I am hoping I can scrounge up the money to invest in one good kitchen knife that I will really enjoy.
On Edge wrote: So this got me thinking and with my folders / carry knives, hands down most use is in the cardboard and plastic categories … but my actual knife use is probably mainly food prep. Which brings me to once again appreciate the two Spyderco kitchen utility knives in MBS-26 that I have used for years; far more than I imagined I would. I don’t see those knives getting the props they deserve. I have a pretty nice high end set of kitchen knives, but guess which knives I reach for most often?
Hey On Edge, as I said above, I've gotten interested in kitchen knives. What makes you prefer the Spydercos over your other high end knives, which I am kind of assuming from your comment are probably more expensive as well. Is it comfort, cutting performance? Just curious what makes people prefer different knives in the kitchen.
Not sure to be honest … I think the ergos of the handles and overall balance play into it, and they slice like mad! I will reach for a Santoku or Chef’s knife when doing prep that those are designed for, and clearly I’m not going to carve with a 4.5” blade, but for general cutting & slicing tasks they have taken over the paring and utility roles, bumping probably 3 knives out of service …
Note: If I had to choose between them I would pick the SE. Having the PE is a nice option but the SE could do it all …
Last edited by On Edge on Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:43 pm
Teddy0215 wrote:

My uncle owns our business and my cousin and I run day to day for him. We are a general contractor and do a little bit of everything, but our biggest revenue streams right now are large site grading projects and foundations. We also install a lot of septic systems, are building several custom homes right now, and have several restaurants we are building.

We used to renovate a fair amount of hotels and have built many gun ranges over the years.

Honestly, the last two years have really burned me out on the whole industry with supply chain issues and peoples’ attitudes in general. My degree is to teach high school, but I’ve never used it. Spent ten years doing third party logistics and remodeled some houses on the side for extra income before I started what I do now. I’m not sure what I would do otherwise now though. My wife is a guidance counselor in the public school system and her stories make me not want to go back in to that field.

Are you in the trades as well?
Slightly obsessed…
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Teddy0215 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:51 am
JSumm wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:43 pm
Teddy0215 wrote:

My uncle owns our business and my cousin and I run day to day for him. We are a general contractor and do a little bit of everything, but our biggest revenue streams right now are large site grading projects and foundations. We also install a lot of septic systems, are building several custom homes right now, and have several restaurants we are building.

We used to renovate a fair amount of hotels and have built many gun ranges over the years.

Honestly, the last two years have really burned me out on the whole industry with supply chain issues and peoples’ attitudes in general. My degree is to teach high school, but I’ve never used it. Spent ten years doing third party logistics and remodeled some houses on the side for extra income before I started what I do now. I’m not sure what I would do otherwise now though. My wife is a guidance counselor in the public school system and her stories make me not want to go back in to that field.

Are you in the trades as well?
That is interesting. Yes, I have been in construction since High School. A little commercial including Building Automation and Concrete work. Mostly flatwork with a little vertical. I have most of my time in residential. I'm an estimator/inside project manager these days.

And you are right about the last couple of years. It has been busy, but lots of big challenges. You never know what is around the corner.

Thanks for sharing! I have always been interested in teaching. Seems like a very rewarding profession. However, the public system is struggling right now to find an identity. I live in one of the biggest school systems in the country and they are losing so many teachers right now. I have heard 1,500. Maybe University or a local college could be an option for now.

Hope the best.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

OK, I have to ask,

Who is actually cutting car bumpers and doors?! :astonished :grin-smiling-eyes

A few people voted that, just curious how that ended up being something you needed to cut?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:11 pm
OK, I have to ask,

A few people voted that, just curious how that ended up being something you needed to cut?

Well I was part just trying to be funny because of the whole hard use thing, but I actually do cut car bumpers all the time at work as weird as that seems. I'd even say for work urethane is probably my most cut material.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:11 pm
Rope varying from tiny to 4-5 inches, depending on where I'm working and what I'm doing. Food prep and small rope when I'm at home, along with some woodwork and fishing and such. About 10% is random stuff like zip ties, packaging, etc.

Don't tell anyone but I actually use scissors for a lot of stuff when I'm at home, and I often carry some small fishing forceps that include a scissor blade.

It seems unlikley to happen but now that I'm thinking about it some Spyderco Salt Scissors would be pretty handy. :thinking
wow my darn mind is blown!!! I would so buy some salt series scissors.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Of course food prep is huge, but I was assuming this is for our edc pocket knives and I try not to use those for food.

Boxes, plastic, cordage, ropes, fishing line,...
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:17 pm
Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:11 pm
OK, I have to ask,

Well I was part just trying to be funny because of the whole hard use thing, but I actually do cut car bumpers all the time at work as weird as that seems. I'd even say for work urethane is probably my most cut material.

Hey David, btw: I did not forget my "Chap-stab into a car door" - project... ;)
Just did not get around to it yet (was quarantined, then working in the mountains and now I have to find a suitable wrecked car... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Interesting poll!

For me "the most" would actually be food prep (YES, with my folders ;) ) and woodwork (though I use my Spydies for anything even just remotely knife related work)

As for food prep:
I am all the time on the road between appointments when working and even more so in my leisure time (by car, bike, on foot...) and often by food whenever I get hungry and love to "prepare" it (most times not much to do) with my Sydie of tje day. Might just be cutting up a loaf of bread, but might also be a real meal cooked on a fire or gas / fuel stove.
Actually I do quite some food prep at home also with my Spydies. I love to experience their "jack of all trades master of none" aspect, and food prep is one of those (Endura, Stretch 1 and especially Stretch XL do great for being "just" general folders)

"Wood work":
Well, fire making, clearing "shooting lanes" for my throwing knives, just whittling for fun and to get a feel for my Spydies and so on...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I voted boxes, food, plants/gardening, and plastics.

Although I rarely use folders for food prep. But occasionally, it can be fun. I do use my SE UKPK Salt during cooking, to open packages of steaming microwavable-in-the-bag vegetables. It works better for that purpose than kitchen knives do.

Jim
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Arm hair!
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

For me it is whittling/carving, followed by boxes.