Regrind Questions (Native 5, Lil Native)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kale

Regrind Questions (Native 5, Lil Native)

Post by Kale »

Has anyone tried a regrind on the lil' Native? If so, how thin? This would be for my m4 lil' Native... The geometry isn't awful, but with the short length it tends to slip out of material.

I'm also considering a regrind on my rex 45 Native 5, just to push the envelope with performance (I understand Rex really shines when thin).

Will I end up with a fragile tip, thinning down to .012?

I've never had a regrind done, so any suggestions would be welcome (including who you'd recommend to do the job).
Steeltoez83

Re: Regrind Questions (Native 5, Lil Native)

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I just picked up a very coarse 80 grit stone, and I always wanted to try my lil native in that toothy edge finish. The cutting edge is small, and I dont use mine for any kinds of rigorous type of cutting. I could in theory get away with putting a zero grind, my mild usage can handle that. But for my mileage, thats what I am trying on my lil native in rex45 when I burn thru the current edge it has. Make the apex as toothy as possible and see how it performs for me.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Kale

Re: Regrind Questions (Native 5, Lil Native)

Post by Kale »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:22 am
I just picked up a very coarse 80 grit stone, and I always wanted to try my lil native in that toothy edge finish. The cutting edge is small, and I dont use mine for any kinds of rigorous type of cutting. I could in theory get away with putting a zero grind, my mild usage can handle that. But for my mileage, thats what I am trying on my lil native in rex45 when I burn thru the current edge it has. Make the apex as toothy as possible and see how it performs for me.
I'll probably start like you suggest, with a toothy edge on my m4 lil' Native. (I can't replace it, so I want to be sure before I do a regrind.) I'd be curious to know how you make out with a toothy edge on Rex 45 -- supposedly, that steel shines most with high polish and thin geometry.