Why have multiple of same knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Re: Why have multiple of same knife.

Post by skeeg11 »

The only knife I have multiples of is a Schrade #877UH. When I lost my first one I got scared and promptly bought 3 more. The only other knife I wish I'd bought a backup for is the Mantra 2.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Do backup knifes require any shelf care. For example taking apart and cleaning?
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:45 pm
Do backup knifes require any shelf care. For example taking apart and cleaning?
Depends how it’s stored, and it’s environment but I’d probably say not.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:36 am
Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:08 am
I'm just curious for those of you who collect multiple knifes and even some of the same model, why you like to do that.
I did collect very similar knives, but quit. Originally, it was with Sprints. I'd order several variants. In case I couldn't get my favorite, at least I'd have something in the same family. A couple were purchased because I liked a model so much that I wanted a spare.

But what I discovered was that I'd always carry my favorite "beater" knives. The others would sit in a drawer, and I wouldn't use them because I wanted to keep them nice. Drawer Knives, Safe Queen Guns, and Trailer Queen Cars don't excite me. I want a knife that is taken out and driven hard. The chances of "losing" a knife are miniscule, so buying extras wasn't really necessary.

Right now I have a handful of knives that I think are the absolute best available for my needs, and I carry them as my activities require. If a new model or steel is released that looks like an improvement upon what I already have, I'll try it out.
If the chances of "losing" a knife are so miniscule, why have I lost so many?

For me, it started with a Benchmade 640 Mini Spike. Carried it, used it, loved it for about seven years. Got home from a job 80 miles away and discovered it wasn't in my pocket. Crap. Oh well, I'll just buy another one. Double crap, they were discontinued five years ago. Triple crap, no one has any old stock. End up paying collector price for a replacement. Lesson learned. Now, if I like it enough to think I'd miss it, I buy at least one more while I can.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think "why not?" is a good answer. I don't though, unless you count three Salt 1's, but they are PE, SE and Tasman, so I see them as different.
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:08 am
Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:08 am
I'm just curious for those of you who collect multiple knifes and even some of the same model, why you like to do that. And do you actually use them all. I am thinking about getting the Crewcarta and my first PM2 hasn't even made it in mail yet lol. And I am trying to decide if I want to keep 2, or sell 1 to be more utilitarian .
Sounds like you've answered your own question! :winking-tongue

That's how it started for me too.. I have always been into knives, but I'd never considered myself a "collector".. then I started spending time on the forum.. "oh, this model looks interesting".. order online.. "hmmm what do you mean steels have different properties?"... order.. order.. order.. "ooh, it comes with micarta scales too! Yup!".. click. Next thing you know, you've got stockpiles of knives stashed in every corner of your home..

Also, note that there is a direct correlation between time spent on this forum and compulsive knife-buying! Run while you still can!
:zany

This explains so much of my behavior as of late, lol!
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I have a pile of PM2s and Enduras. Why? Steel nerd + I EDC a different Spyderco daily.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I too have multiples of the same knife, but this is probably more by accident than intentional. For instance, I purchased both the 2013 and 2015 Forum Natives, despite having already owned several other "standard variation" Natives. Same thing with Ladybugs/Manbugs. Probably a few others I'm not thinking off at the moment. Funny thing is, I rarely ever carry a Native, but I probably have more of those than any other design.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

"2 is 1 and 1 is none"
That's justification for having a backup. Years ago there was a specific model that I really liked so I bought one, when I ran across one or two more used versions I bought them too so I ended up with 3. As time passed and Spyderco took over my collection I sold off 2 of these and kept one for the collection. I still carry and use it occasionally.

The other issue is that Spyderco brings out more sprints and exclusives in interesting steels so I have to buy a new version of a model that I already have. Like other people I like the PM2 and the Manix 2 so I bought one of each, then new steels came out and I bought more versions and along the way I sold a few. So currently I have PM2 models in 3 different steels, Manix 2 in 4 different steels, and Military in 2 different steels.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Ya I'm debating if after seeing the Micarta if I made wrong decision. But I really like the blue one I ordered too. The inner me is like " do you really need 2?" But I also know how I am. And it wouldnt hurt to have a few versions for when I get bored and wanna swap it up. I'm like battling with myself lol. There's the inner utilitarian saying "only need 1" then there's my inner ADHD saying. "Oohhhh pretty" and low key I kinda want the full black PM2 as well. Lord help me
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Another reason i have multiple of the same knives. Is plain lazyness i have 5 manix users and even now that i have great sharpening systems i like to sharpen as less as possible.
So having another favorit sharp and ready is always fun for me.
Last edited by apollo on Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Gathering is in our genes, it is one aspect of why we are still around as a species... and just like with sex or eating, your brain tells you "Hey, this is fun... more please".

But the fun part of our brains (which is one of the oldest parts of our brains, phylogenetically) is actually not very bright, so it doesn't differentiate between what's really important and what's just, well.. "fun" - and that's where your neo-cortex with its mighty rational thinking skills comes into play, ideally (or not)^^

Evolution is a smart concept, on a multi-generational level at least - and the industry is smart enough to utilize it... ;)
notorious fidgeteer
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

apollo wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:33 am
Another reason i have multiple of the same knives. Is plain lazyness i have 5 manix users and even now that i have great sharpening systems i like to sharpen as less as possible. So having another favorit sharp and ready is always fun for me.
I think this is me, having an immediate fresh edge of the "same" knife is almost on the level of a new knife day dopamine hit.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I only have three PM2 variations a Lefty , Wharnie, and the Crucarta. I don’t see another variation that would pull me to buy another . I look at different models before doubling up a lot . Being a Lefty my opportunities buying a different model is not as bountiful as a Righty so I always have an eye out . This thread in a way sort of has the same flavor of collector / user . I just personally feel it is a personal decision where one debates do I want more or less of a particular knife or knives . If one is happy with their decision, all is good . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:50 am
I only have three PM2 variations a Lefty , Wharnie, and the Crucarta. I don’t see another variation that would pull me to buy another . I look at different models before doubling up a lot . Being a Lefty my opportunities buying a different model is not as bountiful as a Righty so I always have an eye out . This thread in a way sort of has the same flavor of collector / user . I just personally feel it is a personal decision where one debates do I want more or less of a particular knife or knives . If one is happy with their decision, all is good . MG2
The Crewcarta is the one I want next lol. Idk why. I think it's I didn't realize the metal was so good, I like how it has full liners as it really shows more of that metal look I like, and it patinas over time.

-Tom
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have a Delica GITD, Pakkawood Hap40, Green VG10, and a SE Wharncliffe they are all different :winking-tongue

Have a good mix of folders so besides the Delica mostly 1-2 of each model
Here is a weekly fruit bowl lucky dip I have near the door.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

A weird people are we, for sure. Like others, different steels and handle materials really speaks to me. I really love the MuleTeam project and making handles for them. At one time I had 7 PD#1's and 6 PMA11's plus other steels. My wife would ask me "how many of that knife do you need?" and my response is always one or two more :winking-tongue

P.S, Sal has this magic power that makes you want to try all the knives he makes! Some say he's an alien :zany
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:55 am
P.S, Sal has this magic power that makes you want to try all the knives he makes! Some say he's an alien :zany
When I joined this Forum in 2016 I only had 10 pocket knives......
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have never in my life pulled out all my knives, put them all together in one place, and counted them. I don’t really want to know. 😲 Even though I know that, in terms of numbers, some people around here have me beat by a mile.

Jim
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Cuz I got multiple hands
Last edited by prndltech on Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006