Confederate flag Spyderco Pride knife, custom order....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Confederate flag Spyderco Pride knife, custom order....

Post by Evil D »

shunsui wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:21 pm
What's funny is that flag was never an official banner of the Confederacy.

It originates from a square battle flag flown by Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War.

Read all about it and see the evolution of the historical Confederate flags at the LA Times:

https://www.latimes.com/visuals/graphic ... story.html

For some people it's just a target for their hate of something much bigger than the flag itself. It's an association thing. The swastika means something far bigger than what it's seen as today and is actually a positive icon, aside from that whole Nazi association thing.

And as far as the collectability of this, relax people. I had a friend years ago who collected Nazi memorabilia....he was also Jewish. An intelligent person can differentiate between an interest in the history of something and supporting what it represented 160 years ago.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Halfneck wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:41 pm
Both Pres. Lincoln & Pres. Jackson issued presidential pardons and clemency for soldiers that served in the Confederacy...

*Johnson

Jackson was long dead FWIW...
So it goes.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
For some people it's just a target for their hate of something much bigger than the flag itself. It's an association thing. The swastika means something far bigger than what it's seen as today and is actually a positive icon, aside from that whole Nazi association thing.

And as far as the collectability of this, relax people. I had a friend years ago who collected Nazi memorabilia....he was also Jewish. An intelligent person can differentiate between an interest in the history of something and supporting what it represented 160 years ago.
This exactly.
Salty Dog wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:11 am
I think its fantastic, love it! just like I love my dukes of Hazard General Lee models.
Id gladly own it, nice score mate.
No idea on the history but its a charming little knife, thanks for sharing the pics and welcome aboard
Same. I’d love one! Maybe on a Millie! Also an American flag and a Gadsden Flag. I’m sure someone will tell me both those are evil too but I’ll risk it. :yawn :cheap-sunglasses
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Halfneck wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:41 pm
Moving on

I remember seeing magazine ads with several different flags. I'm curious how many/what flags there were?

Here's a screen shot of the page from the 2003 Spyderco Dealer Catalog that included the C72 Pride. It shows and identifies the 12 flags Spyderco offered (or planned) to offer on production versions of the Pride, plus a "placeholder" for custom logo versions.

2003 Spyderco Catlog Page - C72 Pride.jpg

As for the OP's knife, if I had to guess I would strongly suspect that it was made for Blue Ridge Knives. Say that because I recall being out bid on an eBay auction of Santa Fe Stoneworks customized CBF Spyderco they'd had done back before folks started having a hissy-fit over anything remotely related to the Confederacy.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:30 am
...It's an association thing. The swastika means something far bigger than what it's seen as today and is actually a positive icon, aside from that whole Nazi association thing.
It had a much different meaning before Hitler and his crew.
Here's a cool example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lafa ... le_Pin.JPG

This Lafayette Escadrille pin belonged to Charles Heave "Carl" Dolan Jr., who in 1915 was the 31st volunteer of the Lafayette Escadrille (Escadrille N. 124), which was a group of 38 Americans who volunteered to join the French Flying Corps before the United States entered World War I.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

It's only "just a flag" if you don't think slavery, and those who committed treason to defend it, were evil. It's a real simple thought experiment: if OP was requesting a swastika knife, or the hammer and sickle of the old Soviet flag, would THAT seem just fine?

No. It wouldn't. But you dudes are cool with the rebel flag because you are more sympathetic with their aims.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

dj moonbat wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:17 am
But you dudes are cool with the rebel flag because you are more sympathetic with their aims.
that's a really unfair thing to say. it means different things to different people. i've never flown this flag, but it didn't always bother me as much as it does now. i've learned. you have to leave room for people to do that. just because someone isn't disgusted by it, doesn't mean they aren't disgusted by the practice of slavery that took place in american history.

aside from all of that, it's still a collectable piece that represents history in america and for spyderco. it has value and shouldn't be discarded. i wouldn't display it, but i wouldn't throw it away either.

i was really trying to avoid this thread, but you don't get to accuse people of being racist confederate sympathizers just because they don't feel the same way you do about an enamel emblem on a pocket knife from years ago.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

All that other stuff aside, I think it's a cool knife design. I'd try it out.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Well maybe Mercedes should have to change their emblem...

The entirety of human history is atrocious. At a certain point judging most things and actions from the past by modern standards becomes unreasonable.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

I've never understood the love for this flag. I understand its history as I've been forced to learn it as the flag still exists.
The "rebel" flag lost, why is it still flown like every other flag? You don't see the Hammer & Sickle, as DJ Moonbat mentioned.
You want to collect them that's one thing but raising this flag doesn't seem right. It's the same thing everytime but we act like people shouldn't be upset when they see it.
Maybe someday I'll get it but I really don't get the love for it.

Surfingringo, Gadsden is guilty by association, I don't think that flag has the same meanings, I could be wrong.

Edit: IBTL
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Half Sack wrote: I've never understood the love for this flag. I understand its history as I've been forced to learn it as the flag still exists.
The "rebel" flag lost, why is it still flown like every other flag? You don't see the Hammer & Sickle, as DJ Moonbat mentioned.
You want to collect them that's one thing but raising this flag doesn't seem right. It's the same thing everytime but we act like people shouldn't be upset when they see it.
Maybe someday I'll get it but I really don't get the love for it.

Surfingringo, Gadsden is guilty by association, I don't think that flag has the same meanings, I could be wrong.

Edit: IBTL
I think some people view it in the same kind of way as flying a pirate flag. Rebel, counter coulture, dangerous, etc.
(Im pretty sure you would have been killed for flying a pirate flag a couple hundred years ago.)

I think some people intend it hatefully.

I think some people have them for civil war reenactments.

Also it was sometimes a state flag, or part of state flags, for a couple states, so it would still get displayed.

Victorinox makes a Gadsden flag knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

It is a rebel flag, however it's always *associated* with racism and hate. Why choose that to represent being a rebel?
People don't fly part of state flags, it's either the state flag or it's just the Confederate flag. I can't make that distinction.
Reenactments, history, collecting aren't the same as flying the flag.

I'd fly a pirate flag but not if everyone assumed I was hateful or ignorate because I chose to.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I believe we've wandered way off-topic from the OP's question. We're also dancing around several forum rule violations. Comments closed.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.