Help ID this knife, Police?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KACRDOG

Help ID this knife, Police?

Post by KACRDOG »

Hi everyone. I would like some help identifying this knife. Here's the background:
Sometime in the very early 90's my cousin who was an police officer and an ffl holder gave me this knife new in box.
I've had it ever since. For the last 10yrs or so it just sat in my desk. My son and I recently bought a few spydercos and, remembering I had this one,
wanted to at least know a little more about it. Being so long ago I can't remember much. My attempts to Id lead me to think its a police model but it does not say police on it. Also it says g-2 stainless and any pictures i've seen the knife has rivets on the body where mine has none. I no longer have the box and papers. Sadly my cousin passed away many years ago so I can't ask him. I've attached the photo link (I hope it works). I really just want to know if it is a police model or another model that's not made anymore. I have no reason to think it's fake because I know he bought thru his FFL distributor but you never know.lol. Any info anyone can provide, or direct me too would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ken

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/kacjr/library/
embry386

Re: Help ID this knife, Police?

Post by embry386 »

Hello and welcome!

That is definitely an old Police model. G-2 steel was used by Spyderco sometime around the timeframe you describe, and I think the very old Police models did not have the rivets. Also, in the olden days, there were less counterfeiters making fake Spyderco products. And I don't see anything obviously fake about it, although Photobucket keeps covering the photos with a large pop-up complaining about my ad-blocker and I can't get a good look at them. It's probably genuine. Very cool old knife! :)

EDIT: I found this quote about G-2 steel:
"When we first began making knives in 1981, we used a steel called Gingami I. It was the best available stainless blade steel in Japan at the time. (It's called Gingami I which means "silver paper" which was the color of the paoer in which the steel was shipped). We wanted to put the name of the steel on the blade, but the maker had "giri" (obligation) to another manufacturer and wouldn't allow us to use the name Gingami I. There was no US equivalent to the Hitachi steel, but we had to make some kind of designation because we were payng a premium for the steel and had to justify the higher cost to our customers. We decided to call the Steel G2 (which stood for "good sh*t also") and offered the chemistry of the steel in our literature."
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Seems to be a Police from early days.

@embry386,

Try this kill sticky, may help:
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=79412
I browsed from mobile so I didn’t get those annoying ad. Fortunately ;)
Chris :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Police, from somewhere between '92 (when steel marking first got added) and '95 (when Spyderco stopped using G-2 as a pseudonym for GIN-1).
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi KACRDOG,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
KACRDOG

Post by KACRDOG »

To everyone, Thank you very much for the welcomes and information. I'm so happy to have found this forum (tons of information here!).I only joined a couple of days ago and I've been learning of many other models I've never knew were out there. The only problem
I've had here is the constant hit to my wallet,lol. Re the Police model I have: I got a chuckle out of G2 being referred to as "Good sh*t". I couldn't agree more. This knife has been used to cut, pry, dig and endure general abuse and still is tight and completely intact, including the tip. I got this when I was 21 or 22 yrs old. I'll be 50 soon and I assure you this knife aged must better than I did,lol. Good Sh*t indeed!
Thanks again
Ken
embry386

Post by embry386 »

anagarika wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 am

@embry386,

Thanks, just tried it -- it did kill the ad, but unfortunately there is only a blank white screen left UNDER the ad. lol Oh well.

I'm sure that kill sticky thing will help me a lot on many different websites though, thanks again for showing me it.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

embry386 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 am
anagarika wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 am

@embry386,

Thanks, just tried it -- it did kill the ad, but unfortunately there is only a blank white screen left UNDER the ad. lol Oh well.

I'm sure that kill sticky thing will help me a lot on many different websites though, thanks again for showing me it.
You’re welcome. Credit goes to OP of that thread :D
Chris :spyder: