Manix 2 51200

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tabo

Re: Manix 2 51200

Post by Tabo »

I don’t understand everyone hating on the coating. The dlc m4 Manix sold out in record time. I personally like that it is coated. Less worrying about corrosion.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I can see why they coated it though, since it's not stainless.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Same reason why the Mantra 3 is s30v instead of M4. People complain about tool steels. Ok Now I want a DLC Mantra
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

"constructed with full stainless steel liners"??? Not skeletonized? No weight listed.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Looks good to me. I don't have a coated spyderco, and I have other non-stainless knives that I can admire while they develop a patina. Or not as the case seems to be here in southern Arizona. The Manix might be my all time favorite Spyderco, so it is hard to resist a unique model with an interesting steel, coated or not.

Tool steels rule! I understand why people want a trouble free stainless, but I have really come to enjoy some of the non-stainless steels. Of course 52100 (not 51200 as in the thread title) is not a tool steel but rather a highly refined carbon steel. M4 on the other hand is a tool steel and is the steel that broke me out of the "gotta be stainless mold". The PM A11 mule has become one of my favorite knives. I love that steel and would like to see it in other knives. I use mine daily and it looks pristine like the day I got it.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Why does 52100 cost so much? I get it is small batch, but shouldnt that be a cheap steel?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZMW wrote:Why does 52100 cost so much? I get it is small batch, but shouldnt that be a cheap steel?
My understanding is that it's a PITA to deal with in a production setting and getting the heat treat right is not easy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jdw

Post by jdw »

I really don't understand why you coat a knife that by its nature is supposed to patina. If you don't like a nice patina then why don't you just buy something stainless??
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

abbazaba wrote:"constructed with full stainless steel liners"??? Not skeletonized? No weight listed.
I also need to know before I order. If it isn’t skeletonized it’d be a deal breaker for me. That has to be a misprint...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jdw wrote:I really don't understand why you coat a knife that by its nature is supposed to patina. If you don't like a nice patina then why don't you just buy something stainless??
I'm not sure anything is "supposed to" patina.

Some people like patina, but some are more concerned with corrosion resistance. I live in the desert, but I'll still take DLC on non-stainless blades when it's an option.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

TomAiello wrote: I'm not sure anything is "supposed to" patina.
This comment nails something right on the head. Indeed, what is with this recent faddish infatuation with patina on knife blades?

And forcing a patina? Reminds me of swallowing air in order to belch. Dude, just let nature takes its course.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all of that. I have seen a few attractive examples, but others have made we want to say, "Wow man, that is too bad."
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

My take on the “full liners” is that they extend the full length of the handle and that the description is not specific enough to say “full skelontonized liners”. I would be surprised if they are not skelontonized but will still be getting one either way.
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

I wish more models came with dlc coated carbon blades. Especially the Manix LW and Endura models.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tucson Tom wrote:And forcing a patina? Reminds me of swallowing air in order to belch. Dude, just let nature takes its course.
I was thinking it's more like people who want jeans that come from the store faded and ripped up.

I love the character of well worn equipment. Forcing it to look worn early just seems kind of silly to me.

But doesn't forcing patina help protect the blade from other rust? I don't know for sure, but I think I heard something like that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tucson Tom wrote:
TomAiello wrote: I'm not sure anything is "supposed to" patina.
This comment nails something right on the head. Indeed, what is with this recent faddish infatuation with patina on knife blades?

And forcing a patina? Reminds me of swallowing air in order to belch. Dude, just let nature takes its course.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all of that. I have seen a few attractive examples, but others have made we want to say, "Wow man, that is too bad."

I may be the minority and a bit of a purist but I enjoy the challenge of keeping a carbon steel clean. You have to pay attention to a carbon blade, you have to take care of it and you build a real relationship with the knife. I do appreciate a steel like H1 that you can use and neglect and never worry about but I think I enjoy using a non stainless more just for the challenge. I typically let a patina build up and then polish it off just so I can start over. But, I also use my knives and I think much of the hate that patina/non stainless steel gets is by safe queen guys who are in this hobby for the resale value.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

With any luck a non coated version will be coming along too.

I would much rather see the character in the blade.

senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I for one am happy to see these non-stainless steels getting the DLC treatment. Some folks get patina when they let nature take it's course, I get rust. I carried an M4 Mantra for a few weeks as an office EDC in air-conditioned environments and that blade straight up rusted in my pocket. Same with my Cruwear Para 3.

I'm very pleased with my DLC M4 Manix so far and am very tempted by this KW 52100 version. A 52100 Military or Shaman with DLC could possibly be a perfect work knife for me.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am amazed at how often I agree with Mr. Evil D. The knife PanChango shows looks good. That is a knife with character.

I use all of my knives and enjoy them. No safe queens for me, and I am not a "knife investor". I certainly try to take care of my knives and not do stupid things with them or abuse them.

The only knife I have with a patina is this cheap nasty Chinese kitchen knife I use all of the time. It is some unknown carbon steel, rusts often enough, but I just scrub it off and the residue has (over the past 20 years or so) built up a fine grey patina. I have by no means taken any special care of this knife, but it is clearly going to outlast me and is a perfectly useful tool.

So I did place an order for this knife! Oh boy!! I have my PM2 with 52100 sitting right here next to me. It shows just a hint of discoloration developing. I won't call it a patina just yet -- but if I am looking for a patina on a non-stainless Spyderco, that will probably be the one.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like both stainless as well as carbon steels. When a knife with as many variations as the Manix 2 has.... a carbon steel should be just that. Plenty of other options out there if you don't care about the way a steel's grain and patina look. For me it's equivalent to TIG welding stainless steel, then painting it with Krylon
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

xceptnl wrote: For me it's equivalent to TIG welding stainless steel, then painting it with Krylon
And that's a good thing, right?