What's k390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Midnightrider

What's k390

Post by Midnightrider »

I thought m390 was similar to cts 204p. What's k390? So many steel choices, I cannot keep up
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
TomAiello

Re: What's k390

Post by TomAiello »

K390 is a great steel. I have an Urban in it (had one confiscated by security at a tourist site in Italy last summer and had to buy a replacement) as well as a PW custom, and I've been very impressed with it.

K390 is non-stainless and holds an edge very, very well. The only thing I've personally carried that holds a better edge than K390 is Maxamet, and even then it's pretty close. I find K390 slightly easier to sharpen, and also personally have an easier time getting the K390 to be "super sharp" than the Maxamet, but the Maxamet always seems to stay sharp the longest for me.

There's a free knife steel app you can put on your smartphone if (like me) you get curious about new steels and want some basic information on them.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Here's that app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... hmob&hl=en

I have it on iPhone, but I don't have time to find the link right now--have to get my kids to school.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks a lot, Tom. I am on the verge of coughing up the 240 bucks to get the new police 4 in k390...
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

K390 is an A11 class steel similar to 10V.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks, Darby... The pressure was just too much. I love spyderco, and I have a problem. There, I said it. P4 on the way along with another Pacific Salt SE.

YOWZA, with the current exchange rate I just paid around 275 bucks for the P4. I hope Sal puts me on the A-list :p
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Here is a quote from Phil Wilson I have shared a few times. Good info.

Phil Wilson wrote:
"I have been using K390 from the start ever since it was introduced by Bohler and I got some small samples to try. A bit of history is that it is the European version of CPM 10V but not the exact chemistry (about 1% less V plus small addition of a few others). That is because the CPM 10V chemistry was protected by patent at the time. If you check the K390 data sheet it claims that the bit less V gives K 390 a little boost in impact toughness. It also can be heat treated at a lower temp. than 10v. So it is pretty much the same as the A11 grade but different in a few small details. It is hard to tell the difference between CPM 10v and BU K390 in the real world in my experience. I like both grades and they are the base line (along with Vanadius 10 and K294) from which I measure wear resistance. The 5 chrome is there to make them all air hardening among other things and does not contribute much to corrosion resistance. It is going to make a killer knife in the new offering and be another classic. Phil"
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Give us a review when you get it. I've been looking at that one too. I wasn't a huge fan of the last Police, but for K390 I might have to give this one a try.

So many amazing knives from Spyderco...
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks. I would have liked this to use in the kitchen because of the blade geometry but maybe it's not ideal due to the lack of stainlessity. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Military.

@tom sure, if I have anything to say I will post. I'm not using my knives heavily lately like I did in the past because I am not getting outdoors much since I moved here. Most of my use is pretty mundane box and fruit cutting.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You are going to love, I mean love, that K390. I keep a very light coat of Vaseline on it, so light that you cannot see it. My blade has never rusted, pitted, nor has it gotten a patina (well, a little brass looking if the light is just right). It stays sharp a long time and it is not too bad to resharpen.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Doc Dan wrote:You are going to love, I mean love, that K390. I keep a very light coat of Vaseline on it, so light that you cannot see it. My blade has never rusted, pitted, nor has it gotten a patina (well, a little brass looking if the light is just right). It stays sharp a long time and it is not too bad to resharpen.
And you're gonna love it in the Police4!
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Midnightrider wrote:Thanks a lot, Tom. I am on the verge of coughing up the 240 bucks to get the new police 4 in k390...
Fyi in case your weren't aware, most reputable Spyderco dealers have a retail price of $173.97. :)
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Tdog wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:Thanks a lot, Tom. I am on the verge of coughing up the 240 bucks to get the new police 4 in k390...
Fyi in case your weren't aware, most reputable Spyderco dealers have a retail price of $173.97. :)
In case you were not aware, the prices in ROW do not have any connection to what you guys pay back home :eek:
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

wrdwrght wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:You are going to love, I mean love, that K390. I keep a very light coat of Vaseline on it, so light that you cannot see it. My blade has never rusted, pitted, nor has it gotten a patina (well, a little brass looking if the light is just right). It stays sharp a long time and it is not too bad to resharpen.
And you're gonna love it in the Police4!
Thanks guys! The love helps kill some of the financial pain ;)

I will probably keep it sprayed down with Essence d'dead man's shoes aka Ballistol :p
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Midnightrider wrote:
Tdog wrote:
In case you were not aware, the prices in ROW do not have any connection to what you guys pay back home :eek:
OOPS, sorry bout that. Didn't notice the CZ ;)
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Well the beer over here is cheaper than water and a million times better. I figure if I drink enough I'll break even sooner or later
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

K390 sucks at getting dull.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Ncmiked wrote:K390 sucks at getting dull.
LOL real glass is half empty kinda guy :p
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vaseline is safe to consume if you use it in small amounts on a knife blade. Ballistol is not recommended for consumption, so if you use your knife around food, I suggest Vaseline as it is simply mineral oil with paraffin that helps it stay on the blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Doc Dan wrote:Vaseline is safe to consume if you use it in small amounts on a knife blade. Ballistol is not recommended for consumption, so if you use your knife around food, I suggest Vaseline as it is simply mineral oil with paraffin that helps it stay on the blade.
Thanks, yeah I'm aware of these issues. I am not sure at this point if it will be used for food after all. If so, I'll try to find some mineral oil instead