Loving the Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
standy99

Re: Loving the Para 3

Post by standy99 »

So being outside mostly with dirty hands I prefer a good bit of knife hanging out. Nothing worse than putting dirty hands inside your pocket more to remove a knife. Can remove and replace the knife with thumb and forefinger without a issue of even getting pants dirty.
Plenty of other Spyderco knives for punters that don't like the Para 3 design and that's the great thing.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
anycal

Post by anycal »

standy99 wrote:So being outside mostly with dirty hands I prefer a good bit of knife hanging out. Nothing worse than putting dirty hands inside your pocket more to remove a knife. Can remove and replace the knife with thumb and forefinger without a issue of even getting pants dirty.
Plenty of other Spyderco knives for punters that don't like the Para 3 design and that's the great thing.
That is true. That is part of the reason I converted my PM2 from deep carry back to stock. Also, easier to access in many cases, like squatting and sitting.

But for now, the Para 3 is used differently, don't need it sticking out, and prefer the more out of sight carry.

Peter
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Mic1 wrote:A good deal of people disagree.

It's one inch of 4" knife closed so it's 1/4 .
It's about the same size of the Yojimbo 2 though. No one seems to care about how much sticks out For that knife and I'm sure there are many other knives that are the same. I honestly think it's being overblown because of a few reviews online.

When did deep carry become a must?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
anycal

Post by anycal »

Liquid Cobra wrote:It's about the same size of the Yojimbo 2 though. No one seems to care about how much sticks out For that knife and I'm sure there are many other knives that are the same. I honestly think it's being overblown because of a few reviews online.

When did deep carry become a must?
It is not a must. It is a preference. I am glad we have options, because I like this knife.
Peter
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I treat it like a preference, but others are asking for a redesign because they must have deep carry every single time.

It's like sharpening choils. If you need it, add it. Buy a deep carry clip, like folks seem to be doing.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I personally am not advocating deep carry. I would like about 1/2" deeper in my pocket as much for looks as for comfort. As for the Yojimbo 1 it's a lot thinner at that point than the para 3. 2 it's no where near as popular than the para line. It's also a lot more "tactical" and less edc than a para 3. People who carry a yojimbo are probably less concerned with the same issues than a guy looking for a discrete edc. And I did not come to this opinion from a web review. The first time I saw bladehq show it in the pocket I thought wow that sticks out a lot. When I got mine I hated it tip up as I have said as much for looks as it poking me in my hip. I'm still carrying mine every day just tip down.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

EmperorMA wrote:
.....I agree that Spyderco shouldn't design a much-anticipated knife like like the Para 3 with a small market in mind. However, nobody likes this lanyard hole/clip placement debacle. It's almost as if not a single member of the design team at Spyderco actually carried the Para 3 before its introduction. If more than one person had, there would have been nearly universal feedback just like you're seeing on this thread and in every even slightly-legitimate review of the knife......
Hey Emperor, I made my first trip to Golden Colorado over two years ago and that was the first time I got to meet Sal in person. During our conversation he pulled a knife from his pocket...it was the prototype for the current pm3. I know for a fact that Sal himself (and others at Spyderco) carried and used the pm3 for well over a year before bringing it into production. I understand the complaints about the knife and how the clip positioning might not be to the liking of many but I don't think it's a fair statement to imply that Spyderco doesn't test their knives before production. Actually, they probably do more testing than just about any other company out there before they are willing to move into production. That's one of the reasons that we often have to wait a year or two before we get to purchase a new model after hearing that it is in the design process. I know for certain from dealing with them on my own knife that they go to great lengths to get it right before they put a knife on the market.

As far as the pm3 is concerned, I really like the design and I am one of the silent (majority?) who enjoys the knife the way it is. I don't like deep carry clips at all and I like a nice bit of knife sticking out of my pocket to make it easy to draw, especially when bent over, squatting or sitting in a chair or my kayak. The clip position on the pm3 works just fine for me. I would be open to the idea of a CQI to make the lanyard hole slightly smaller and the clip slightly higher if it would help more people enjoy the knife but I'm also fine with it the way it is. Sometimes people like things different ways. I don't know what Sal and Eric's clip preferences are but they may be closer to mine than they are to yours and the other people complaining. I just know for a fact that the positioning of this clip was not an arbitrary move that was made without critical thought and testing. I'm not in anyway implying that you or others have to like it the way it is, I'm just offering a counter to the idea you put out there based on my personal dealings with them. :)
Last edited by Surfingringo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:
EmperorMA wrote:
.....I agree that Spyderco shouldn't design a much-anticipated knife like like the Para 3 with a small market in mind. However, nobody likes this lanyard hole/clip placement debacle. It's almost as if not a single member of the design team at Spyderco actually carried the Para 3 before its introduction. If more than one person had, there would have been nearly universal feedback just like you're seeing on this thread and in every even slightly-legitimate review of the knife......
......As far as the pm3 is concerned, I really like the design and I am one of the silent (majority?) who enjoys the knife the way it is. I don't like deep carry clips at all and I like a nice bit of knife sticking out of my pocket to make it easy to draw, especially when bent over, squatting or sitting in a chair or my kayak. The clip position on the pm3 works just fine for me. ......
Count me in ;)

Marius

P.S YET...I wish it had a thinner blade stock(3mm) and a lower profile blade shape.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
EmperorMA wrote:
......As far as the pm3 is concerned, I really like the design and I am one of the silent (majority?) who enjoys the knife the way it is. I don't like deep carry clips at all and I like a nice bit of knife sticking out of my pocket to make it easy to draw, especially when bent over, squatting or sitting in a chair or my kayak. The clip position on the pm3 works just fine for me. ......
Count me in ;)

Marius

P.S YET...I wish it had a thinner blade stock(3mm) and a lower profile blade shape.
I had the same thoughts about blade shape when I first started seeing pics Marius. The pm3 blade shape is slightly more "triangular" than what I was expecting. If I am honest though, that is an aesthetic concern more than a practical one. The more I carry and use this knife, the more I like it. The more I see how well it performs, the more attractive it becomes. Nothing surprising there...that happens to me on a regular basis with Spyderco designs.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Besides the easier extraction of standard carry clips I also find them more secure and more stable. The spot where the seam of the pocket or waistband sits in the clip acts as a sort of pivot point for the closed knife and deep carry seems to move around more. I like to carry IWB at 3-4 o'clock and deep carry knives move around a lot more.

I think the Para3 would carry great IWB.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Besides the easier extraction of standard carry clips I also find the more secure and more stable. The spot where the seam of the pocket or waistband acts as a sort of pivot point for the closed knife and deep carry seems to live around more. I like to carry IWB at 3-4 o'clock and deep carry knives move around a lot more.

I think the Para3 would carry great IWB.
It does. I've been carrying mine at 1 o'clock quite a bit. The smaller size coupled with the clip placement means not too much knife is hanging down and it rides much more comfortably there than the millie or pm2. Winner.
anycal

Post by anycal »

... wrong thread
Peter
asmith001

Post by asmith001 »

+10 on the MXG clips. I have 3 Paramilitary 2's and a Military, all with MXGs. I even have 1 of the short ones for the Para3 that I don't have yet. Lol.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

So would we say if Spyderco was to make a deep carry clip and sell it for $15 a heap of these would get sold and bought by many ?

Has a thread been started about deep carry clips before ?

Sal?
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I see where both sides are coming from. For me, it's not my ideal tip up clip placement... But I think it is fine just the way it is. Anecdotally, it's no secret on this forum that one of my all time favorite designs is the Yojimbo 2. I carry it clip-less. Go ahead, ask me why :D , glad you asked... Because I don't like the way the tip of the handle sticks out of the pocket with the clip in the standard position. For me it's not discreet or comfortable (it pokes me in the side a lot). I prefer to carry the yo2 either clip-less in a dedicated pocket, tip down carry with the standard clip, or tip up with an aftermarket deep carry clip. I'm pretty sure if you search my posts you will find I have never requested a design change regarding the clip on the yo2. And that's because there are options, I could get hung up on the standard config not being what I want, but I'd be missing out on my favorite knife. Same with the Para3, I knew from the start the standard tip up clip placement wasn't going to work for me (and no matter where the clip was, I'm not using a lanyard with this knife, so the lanyard hole was always useless to me). But I also like tip down carry, and I saw those sweet MXG clips... bottom line the standard clip placement being less than ideal for me wasn't stopping me from getting the knife. And I'm very happy with my aftermarket clip.

I'm starting to sound like I'm picking a side here and it's not my intent, but I guess I'm leaning one way whether I like it or not. I would say to the people who want the clip changed, that you might make just as many people unhappy with a redesign as you would leaving it just the way it is, and you shouldn't let it be the only thing stopping you from getting a great knife.... I'd also say there is nothing wrong with voicing your desires or preferences for a redesign, and nothing wrong with you disliking the standard clip placement ( I didn't like it either).

And for the record I am Loving the Para 3 :D :spyder:
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

standy99 wrote:Has a thread been started about deep carry clips before ?
It's been discussed several times since I've been around and I'm sure many times before then.

I'm pretty much with 0s&1s. In general I can take or leave deep carry clips. I have to admit that the P3 with stock clip did poke me in the side a bit when I was seated. I also didn't like having to hold the end of the clip when closing the knife with the compression lock. Normally not an issue for me with other knives and locks but it bothered me some with the P3. Problem resolved with a short Lynch clip.
I also have no need for the large lanyard hole but understand why they included it in the design. The P3 is supposed to be a shorter Paramilitary 2. So they did their best to implement all the same features. Mission accomplished. It may not be ideal for everyone and that's ok. Most, if not all, models are not ideal for everyone. If there's something about a product that I don't like and I can't get passed the issue then I move on to something that works better for me. Lots of options out there.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

A "deep carry" clip like the Casey Lynch model I have on my Para 3 does not make it a deep carry knife. It makes the Para 3 a "normal carry" knife that sticks out about the same as a Delica or PM2 or Native 5.

My Dfly 2 and Caly 3.5 definitely carry deeper than my modified Para 3. I don't think anybody is putting an aftermarket deep carry clip on a Para 3 that believes the illusion that the knife will actually carry deeply with the modification. They are just trying to get it to ride at a more normal height rather than sticking out nearly a full inch.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
mad german

Post by mad german »

EmperorMA wrote:A "deep carry" clip like the Casey Lynch model I have on my Para 3 does not make it a deep carry knife. It makes the Para 3 a "normal carry" knife that sticks out about the same as a Delica or PM2 or Native 5.
This. I really like how the MXG Gear clip makes my Para 3 knives 'normal' carry, just like my PM2's. I like to have a bit of the knife sticking out of my pocket.
My collection is ever changing!
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Just got my para 3 cruwear in today and I absolutely love it. Might order the deep carry clip later down the road but for now I don't mind how high it rides.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

EmperorMA wrote:A "deep carry" clip like the Casey Lynch model I have on my Para 3 does not make it a deep carry knife. It makes the Para 3 a "normal carry" knife that sticks out about the same as a Delica or PM2 or Native 5.

My Dfly 2 and Caly 3.5 definitely carry deeper than my modified Para 3. I don't think anybody is putting an aftermarket deep carry clip on a Para 3 that believes the illusion that the knife will actually carry deeply with the modification. They are just trying to get it to ride at a more normal height rather than sticking out nearly a full inch.
It clearly carries deeper with the mxg than the Para 2 with a standard clip. Exaggerating hints doesn't help anyone.

@liquid_cobra