Ti Military pivot spinning help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
scsu74

Ti Military pivot spinning help

Post by scsu74 »

Hi, I'm trying to remove the pivot from my Ti Military, but it just spins in the hole and won't loosen beyond a certain point. It was dead center when starting, now that it has loosened a bit the blade is rubbing the non-lockbar side. When turning the screw it will get easier/looser to a point and then tighten up again, it's really weird and makes me think it has been stripped somehow. Am I missing something simple? I tried loosening with blade locked open and blade closed, no luck either way.. Appreciate the help.
araneae

Re: Ti Military pivot spinning help

Post by araneae »

Have you put a driver in each side when attempting to loosen? Pics seem to show its got a screw head on each side.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tighten the side that's coming loose, then use a driver on both sides and try to break loose the other screw. If you think the actual pivot pin is spinning in the handle then you need to send it to Spyderco.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
scsu74

Post by scsu74 »

One side is smooth with no hole for a bit. I can only loosen/tighten one side
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Is the smooth side turning too?

The pivot pin (the smooth side) should be D shaped and the hole in the scale should be too so it should not be able to spin. The only way for it to spin is for it to have stripped the D shaped hole out in the scale. This is easy to do in the frn knives but I am surprised you managed to do it to a piece of titanium.

I hate to say this but where did you purchase this Military?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
scsu74

Post by scsu74 »

On eBay :( the smooth side is spinning freely. What are some indicators that it might be fake?
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Pics
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

scsu74 wrote:One side is smooth with no hole for a bit. I can only loosen/tighten one side
Oh right, I was thinking of the newer pivots. If the whole thing is spinning then definitely mail it in because your D hole in the handle scale or the pivot itself is probably rounded off.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Posting some pics is the easiest way for us to tell. If you post some good pics then I am sure some members will help with authenticating. I am not an expert on fakes myself but the spinning pivot pin is a bad sign. Was it sold as new or used? Either the D shaped hole was stripped out which seems unlikely or the knife is a fake and the hole isn't D shaped. I would think it would take a lot of force to strip that D out but it is possible.

You could try using something with some grip on the smooth side to hold it a little. A piece of rubber or an eraser or something. For example, place a rubber eraser on the kitchen counter, place the knife on the eraser with the smooth side of the pivot touching the eraser, press down hard and try to turn the screw. Sometimes that will hold the pin enough to get the screw out. I have had to do this on stripped out frn knives and it has worked. If you can get it apart you may be able to tell what's going on.

Sending it in is the only way to know for sure. If it is fake they will tell you and if it is real they can hopefully fix you up.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
scsu74

Post by scsu74 »

JimP

Post by JimP »

It appears to be fine to me. Maybe the red loctite held well enough to allow you to strip out the D pivot hole?

You could try getting it on a hard protective surface, put in your torx bit and give it a sharp hit with a hammer. Hopefully you can then remove the pivot screw using grippy rubber on the smooth side of the pivot and apply heavy pressure whilst unscrewing with the torx. With the pivot assembly removed you can get a better idea of the situation.
bearfacedkiller

Yeah, I am not seeing any red flags. It looks legit to me.

You said that as you rotate the screw that it gets easier and then harder to turn. That sounds like the D is stripped.

If it has loctite on it either a sold whack like Jim said or some heat should break it loose. Other than that and the rubber trick I do not have any other suggestions. :(
-Darby
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've had this problem a few times, most recently on my Shiro neon (seems to be common with these) I suspended it by the lanyard in boiling water for about 5 minutes and the pivot screw came loose first try used a rubber mat and pressure on the slot side of the pivot.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
scsu74

Post by scsu74 »

farnorthdan wrote:I've had this problem a few times, most recently on my Shiro neon (seems to be common with these) I suspended it by the lanyard in boiling water for about 5 minutes and the pivot screw came loose first try used a rubber mat and pressure on the slot side of the pivot.
I'll give it a try! Was the pivot or knife damaged at all once you got it apart?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

scsu74 wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I've had this problem a few times, most recently on my Shiro neon (seems to be common with these) I suspended it by the lanyard in boiling water for about 5 minutes and the pivot screw came loose first try used a rubber mat and pressure on the slot side of the pivot.
I'll give it a try! Was the pivot or knife damaged at all once you got it apart?
Not at all, the neon has solid Ti scales also and I was worried it might leave lite anodizing but didn't, nothing.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."