Para 3 vs. Sage 3 Comparison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EmperorMA

Re: Para 3 vs. Sage 3 Comparison

Post by EmperorMA »

anycal wrote:Using it on my PM2s. I gave my P3 to a friend, otherwise I'd show you what it looks like on it.

You dig?
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
anycal

Post by anycal »

EmperorMA wrote:
anycal wrote:Using it on my PM2s. I gave my P3 to a friend, otherwise I'd show you what it looks like on it.

You dig?

Carries real nice; great in hand. Never tried this on P3, but did have different MXG clip on it.

Peter
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Anyone got a Para 3 and a Native 5 comparison shot?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

anycal wrote:
EmperorMA wrote:

You dig?

Carries real nice; great in hand. Never tried this on P3, but did have different MXG clip on it.

I recognize the clip on the Para 3. How did that work?
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Anyone got a Para 3 and a Native 5 comparison shot?
Good call. I'd be very interested in seeing that.

EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

dreadpirate wrote:For me - I like both the handle and blade shape of the Para 3. The Sage is excellent (I own a Sage 3) - it's just I think the Para 3 is even better.
Para 3 works beautifully for me. Well, not the clip position but that can be remedied with an aftermarket clip. I love the rest of the knife.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I can post later tonight if nobody else posts one sooner.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anycal

Post by anycal »

EmperorMA wrote: I recognize the clip on the Para 3. How did that work?
Pretty similar between the two styles. The two main differences,
- The one on P3 is narrower at the loop. Not by much, but seemed to be harder on the pocket and have more flex in it - side to side movement.
- The one on P3 is about 3mm longer.

I think it comes down to looks and ergos. On PM2, both felt very similar in hand - no hotspot with any grip with my hands.

Since I don't have the P3 anymore, I don't recall how it felt. But the handle being shorter and the clip mounting lower, I think it is more noticeable in hand. Both clips would feel about the same, I assume. Not a deal breaker for me.

I prefer the look of the one with the hole. On PM2 anyways, since I never tried it on P3.
Peter
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

anycal wrote:
EmperorMA wrote: I recognize the clip on the Para 3. How did that work?
Pretty similar between the two styles. The two main differences,
- The one on P3 is narrower at the loop. Not by much, but seemed to be harder on the pocket and have more flex in it - side to side movement.
- The one on P3 is about 3mm longer.

I think it comes down to looks and ergos. On PM2, both felt very similar in hand - no hotspot with any grip with my hands.

Since I don't have the P3 anymore, I don't recall how it felt. But the handle being shorter and the clip mounting lower, I think it is more noticeable in hand. Both clips would feel about the same, I assume. Not a deal breaker for me.

I prefer the look of the one with the hole. On PM2 anyways, since I never tried it on P3.
Thanks, anycal. I think I'm going to try the short clip with the hole on my Para 3 based on your feedback and pix.

On Edge

Post by On Edge »

I've gone with the Sage 5 ... tried the PM3, but the already 'skewed' handle to blade ratio of the PM2 just seems exaggerated on the PM3, IMO ... just seems too "stubby" ... also, the blade profile seems to work well at the PM2 length, but to me something is just "off" when it's scaled down ... I wanted to love the PM3, but the design felt like it was trying just a bit too hard ... I realize this is not likely a popular opinion ... just my feelings on the little beast ...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm hoping it's similar in size to the native :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sorry 0s & 1s! I didn't forget about you. Long day and busy night.

Here you go!

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sorry 0s & 1s! I didn't forget about you. Long day and busy night.

Here you go!

Thank you much Sharp Guy! That helps a lot.

EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Thanks for the pic. You've convinced me to spend more money.

Looks like I need to get two more so I can have a little variety in my EDC life. All three are very nice.

Casey Lynch clip on the Para 3, right?

anycal

Post by anycal »

Good luck with the clip. Hope you like it.

Sound like you're getting a Native? It is a great knife.

I do like the look of the G10 Native. And I don't have any S110V. :( Do you see where I'm going with this?

Peter
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

anycal wrote:Sound like you're getting a Native? It is a great knife.

I do like the look of the G10 Native. And I don't have any S110V. :( Do you see where I'm going with this?
Somebody is going to get some blurple. ;) I am liking the LW S110V version, too.

That G10/S110V configuration really makes sense for the Para 3. It's a beast of a knife for being sub-3" and in my hands is naturally tending toward jobs suited well to S110V. I'll be on it as soon as it comes out.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

EmperorMA wrote:Casey Lynch clip on the Para 3, right?
Yes, Lynch short clip
mad german

Post by mad german »

IMHO, my Native 5, Sage 5, Para3 and Mini Grip (in D2 w/ AWT scales) are the perfect POCKET knives out there. They fit well in my POCKET, yet are large enough for any daily task I seem to need a knife for. The PM2 is a great knife, but it was just a little too large for me to EDC. I think that Spyderco has hit a home run with the Native 5, Sage 5 and Para3. I hope they continue to put out new designs with blades in the 3" range.
My collection is ever changing!
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

mad german wrote:IMHO, my Native 5, Sage 5, Para3 and Mini Grip (in D2 w/ AWT scales) are the perfect POCKET knives out there. They fit well in my POCKET, yet are large enough for any daily task I seem to need a knife for. The PM2 is a great knife, but it was just a little too large for me to EDC. I think that Spyderco has hit a home run with the Native 5, Sage 5 and Para3. I hope they continue to put out new designs with blades in the 3" range.
I agree 100%.

I'd add the FRN Delica 4 to that group, as well. The blade on this knife is a fantastic shape for EDC duty and the thing almost disappears in your pocket.

Although I live in a city with no restrictions, I happen to work in a 3" jurisdiction, so I have had to leave my PM2 and Caly 3.5 at home five days a week. Carrying a <3" knife has opened my eyes quite a bit. In fact, carrying the Para 3 for awhile has shown me that it can do almost anything its bigger sibling can do (though just fine for most food prep, I still prefer PM2 for this) and it is certainly easier to carry. A perfect pocket knife for me so far.

mad german

Post by mad german »

EmperorMA wrote:
mad german wrote:IMHO, my Native 5, Sage 5, Para3 and Mini Grip (in D2 w/ AWT scales) are the perfect POCKET knives out there. They fit well in my POCKET, yet are large enough for any daily task I seem to need a knife for. The PM2 is a great knife, but it was just a little too large for me to EDC. I think that Spyderco has hit a home run with the Native 5, Sage 5 and Para3. I hope they continue to put out new designs with blades in the 3" range.
I agree 100%.

I'd add the FRN Delica 4 to that group, as well. The blade on this knife is a fantastic shape for EDC duty and the thing almost disappears in your pocket.

Although I live in a city with no restrictions, I happen to work in a 3" jurisdiction, so I have had to leave my PM2 and Caly 3.5 at home five days a week. Carrying a <3" knife has opened my eyes quite a bit. In fact, carrying the Para 3 for awhile has shown me that it can do almost anything its bigger sibling can do (though just fine for most food prep, I still prefer PM2 for this) and it is certainly easier to carry. A perfect pocket knife for me so far.
Well said, well said. What cracks me up sometimes is when I read knife threads where guys completely dismiss smaller knives, i.e. blades like the Native 5, Para 3, Sage 5 and Mini Grip (to name a few). Truth be told, these small blades (3" in length) will do 99% of what most people use their knives for. I know there are some guys who refuse to admit it, and claim they use a blade like the Military all day. But unless you're cutting things that require extra blade length, the smaller knives will work just fine.

I live in MO, so I can carry up to a 4" blade. However, I work in an office, so I prefer to keep my office carry blades deep in my pocket or of the "office friendly" shape. Enter the Sage 5, the perfect office knife. I also carry my Dragonfly 2 quite a bit as well. I can't believe I forgot about that one.

Now...all that being said, I really want to get a PM2 in S110V to carry at home and on the weekends.
My collection is ever changing!