Do you know of any Spydercos meeting this criteria?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Do you know of any Spydercos meeting this criteria?

Post by vivi »

I'm going to describe all of the features I would like out of a pocket knife. In Spydercos current catalog it appears the Police 3 and Manix XL are the closest matches. Are there any others you think I'm overlooking? Any past models you think I should consider?

- No smaller than an Endura (8.75" OAL, 3.75" blade)

- It has an H1 blade, or is made from a DLC/TiNi coated stainless, preferably with coated liners / hardware / clip as well. Corrosion resistance is an extreme concern of mine. No M4, super blue, 52100 etc.

- Uses a lock with a self-close mechanism (Back lock, power lock, ball bearing lock.....no liner locks, frame locks, slip-its or compression locks)

- The knife weighs more than 3oz but less than 6, perfect weight IMO is right around 4.5oz with a neutral to slightly handle heavy balance.

- The thumb ramp is at least 1/2 an inch from where the handle places my index finger (e.g. Military behind the index choil passes, Delicas do not)

- The knife offers a comfortable working grip without utilizing an index finger choil (I'm perfectly fine with index choils on the knife, I just want to be able to get a comfortable, full 4 finger grip without using it, e.g. Police 3 is fine, Para 3 / Caly 3 / Dragonfly etc. are far too small for that)

- The tip is pointy and the spine is flat (Like a Military)

- Full flat grind, 2.5-3.5mm blade stock.

- Negative blade angle, e.g. Military's blade angle VS the Perrin Street Bowie which is just a straight bar of steel.

- 4 way clips preferred, RH tip up being the most important option to have by a long shot.

- The opening action is not blocked by parts of the handle (e.g. yojimbo 2 halfway through the opening arc my thumb bumps the G10 scales)

Leaning towards an XL Manix DLC, anything you think would work better?
91bravo

Re: Do you know of any Spydercos meeting this criteria?

Post by 91bravo »

It sounds like you solved your own dilemma with the Manix XL! It sounds like the one that matches a lot of your criteria, only it doesn't have H1. You could check out the Salt series, those would work out quite well for you!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix XL. If it's going to be your main carry blade, wait for the s110v or find one of the s90v sprints aftermarket.
vivi

Post by vivi »

91bravo wrote:It sounds like you solved your own dilemma with the Manix XL! It sounds like the one that matches a lot of your criteria, only it doesn't have H1. You could check out the Salt series, those would work out quite well for you!
I've got quite a few Pacific Salts :) Great knives. I carry one nearly every day, usually pairing a SE with a larger knife like the Szabo folder or Police, or carrying a PE and SE in the summer when I have to carry H1 or my knives will rust to the point of failure.

I'm excited the XL is offered in DLC, and the liners are coated too. Some DLC knives that's not the case (Para 2) and I rust them pretty bad.
TomAiello wrote:Manix XL. If it's going to be your main carry blade, wait for the s110v or find one of the s90v sprints aftermarket.
Honestly if the prices were 150$ for either version I'd still go with the DLC. Corrosion resistance >>>>>>>>>>>>>> edge holding for me, and S30V has always worked great for my uses. Its one of my favorite steels.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Couple things.

1) I don't know if I'd say the CBBL has a self close mechanism. Once the ball is out of the dimple it rests in, the blade will open just as easily as a liner lock.

2) Years ago we had a discussion about DLC and whether or not it made a difference with corrosion resistance and I seem to recall Michael Janich saying that it actually promotes corrosion. It seems like it was during one of my begging threads to have a Yojombo 2 made in DLC, I can't recall but the point was that despite what it seems DLC did more harm than good when it comes to rust.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Evil D wrote:Couple things.

1) I don't know if I'd say the CBBL has a self close mechanism. Once the ball is out of the dimple it rests in, the blade will open just as easily as a liner lock.

2) Years ago we had a discussion about DLC and whether or not it made a difference with corrosion resistance and I seem to recall Michael Janich saying that it actually promotes corrosion. It seems like it was during one of my begging threads to have a Yojombo 2 made in DLC, I can't recall but the point was that despite what it seems DLC did more harm than good when it comes to rust.
I recall it having to do with the application process. The blade is bead blasted prior to being DLC'ed.

How much of a difference it makes for S30V, I don't know. I have both a Millie and Manix 2 with DLC blades and I've never had corrosion problems. But the bead blasted finish on the Kahr Arms Delica does incur rust easily.

Vivi, Manix XL seems like a good choice. I don't think the Manix has as pronounced of a negative blade angle though. Perhaps if there is a future Police 4 in a stainless it would be your perfect knife.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

I didn't check your criteria against an actual XL, but I will say this much: carrying the Manix XL, I think I've found the ideal balance of knife for me. The grip is great - I especially like the use of the liner jimping. I feel like the XL is planted in my hand, and will not slip around. The blade is a great size; I only wish that it was a little thicker. DLC version is superbly done; the coating is excellent. Whether or not it inhibits / promotes corrosion, I don't know. In short: just about everything with the Manix XL as far as the knife technology goes is fine.

The cost is reasonable - while, for example, the Nirvana, the Szabo, the K2 all feel a little bit nicer in my hand, I have a real problem with subjecting those knives to a lot of use. I break / scratch up a Manix XL, I'm a little bit upset with myself. But I can come up with $150 to replace. I break / scratch up a Nirvana, and I am really effd-off with myself as a human being. I can't afford to just go out and replace that knife, even if I could find it. I get that for some people, that's not a problem - more power to them. It's a huge factor to me.

In short: I've given other blades a try as EDC. The Manix XL, so far, does the best job for me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

1. It does. If you open the blade a little it will snap itself shut. Its not as big of a window as the backlocks self-close, but it is there. There is a clear difference between the action of the CBBL and a detent based lock in that respect.

2. That has not been my experience. I have a CTS204P Military that I rusted the stop pin in a day, that doesn't happen on my Spydercos with DLC coated hardware. This is what a knife with uncoated steel liners looks like for me after EDCing it a few months. On every single one of my uncoated stainless Spydercos I have rusted jimping, rusted opening holes, rusted spines etc. That never happens on my DLC blades.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Able Dog wrote:Vivi, Manix XL seems like a good choice. I don't think the Manix has as pronounced of a negative blade angle though. Perhaps if there is a future Police 4 in a stainless it would be your perfect knife.
Yeah, I was ecstatic when I saw the Police 4 photos, but the more I read about the steel the more I realized it would be a knife I could carry 1 or 2 months out of the year at most, and I'd still have to maintain the **** out of it to keep in usable. I'd be fine with the same steel given a DLC treatment. I've actually never gotten to try a DLC coated carbon steel in an EDC folder, which I think is ironic.

Otherwise it really does look perfect for me. The Police 3 is the best model they currently offer IMO, and the changes to the blade shape and handle ergos look great. Also heard they reduced the weight, which is always nice.

I wish people cared about corrosion resistance like they do edge holding. I'm much more excited by developments like H1 and LC200N than I am the next number higher on the SxxV ladder. I'd be so frustrated if it weren't for Salts for fall back on in the summer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:

1. It does. If you open the blade a little it will snap itself shut. Its not as big of a window as the backlocks self-close, but it is there. There is a clear difference between the action of the CBBL and a detent based lock in that respect.

2. That has not been my experience. I have a CTS204P Military that I rusted the stop pin in a day, that doesn't happen on my Spydercos with DLC coated hardware. This is what a knife with uncoated steel liners looks like for me after EDCing it a few months. On every single one of my uncoated stainless Spydercos I have rusted jimping, rusted opening holes, rusted spines etc. That never happens on my DLC blades.
This is the best I could find on my phone. Deacon links a thread in there but I can't get it to open. Michael does have good things to say about it so if it works for you then run with it. I don't know if the liners are coated with actual DLC or some lesser quality coating. Personally I would just get a Pacific Salt and be done with it of rust is that big of an issue for you.

viewtopic.php?t=52609
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I carry Pacific Salts most the time but I prefer FFG, pointier tip and longer cutting edge. The first two things are pretty easy for me to modify at least. I'm hoping since LC200N can be FFG we see it used in sprints on regular models. Police 4 in LC200N with blacked out liners and hardware would be a dream.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi,

^^
I was about to say get a Pac Salt & have Josh (REK) over BF regrind.
Chris :spyder:
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Try waiting for the Caribbeans? Shame they weren't at the Amsterdam meet, apparently.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

krikun98 wrote:Try waiting for the Caribbeans? Shame they weren't at the Amsterdam meet, apparently.
I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Wouter is just sandbagging some of the more anticipated models for the end. I don't understand why they wouldn't have been there.
~David
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Evil D wrote:
krikun98 wrote:Try waiting for the Caribbeans? Shame they weren't at the Amsterdam meet, apparently.
I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Wouter is just sandbagging some of the more anticipated models for the end. I don't understand why they wouldn't have been there.
Well, the alphabet is against us. Still holding out for the Swayback, though!
Although they may be listed as Salt Caribbean, just to mess with us.