The best EDC Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
freebird610

Re: The best EDC Knife

Post by freebird610 »

Delica in whatever flavor you chose.
jdw

Post by jdw »

It varies by day but I have been carrying my lil Matriarch PE lately and I forget what a great design it is. It's like a Delica on steroids.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Para 3!!!!
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

jdw wrote:It varies by day but I have been carrying my lil Matriarch PE lately and I forget what a great design it is. It's like a Delica on steroids.
It is a great blade.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Ladybug has been the best all-around EDC for me for many years. Superb design.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MattBPKT

Post by MattBPKT »

Can't beat my original Delica ;)
Knife Informer...stay sharp, stay informed.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

The best EDC is the one in your pocket on the day.

In my world I don't have an every day carry, I rotate my primary knife through a pretty big collection. For giggles I decided to record which knives I carry this year. To date (17 Feb) I've carried 31 different knives, only 4 have been carried 3 days or more in this period. A Spyderco Memory happens to be the most carried so far this year.

Having said that, there is a back up knife on my keyring that was consistently some version of a Ladybug for years. Last week I swapped it out for a SAK Rambler just to give that a try. So maybe in the strictest definition, my Ladybugs are my "best" EDC.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Native - Any model, any edge, any steel.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I recently got a Benchmade Freek and it has bumped my Pacific Salt for my EDC. Perfect size, weight, blade steel. Opens and closes smoothy and the new scale material is perfect for EDC, check one out you won't be disappointed. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

holeshot wrote:I recently got a Benchmade Freek and it has bumped my Pacific Salt for my EDC. Perfect size, weight, blade steel. Opens and closes smoothy and the new scale material is perfect for EDC, check one out you won't be disappointed. :)
The Freek sounds pretty similar to the PM2. How does it compare?
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Ryno wrote:
holeshot wrote:I recently got a Benchmade Freek and it has bumped my Pacific Salt for my EDC. Perfect size, weight, blade steel. Opens and closes smoothy and the new scale material is perfect for EDC, check one out you won't be disappointed. :)
The Freek sounds pretty similar to the PM2. How does it compare?
They are very similar as far as size and weight. The Freek is like a Rat1 on steroids but much better blade steel and is lighter it opens and closes like a hot knife through butter and IMO the Axis lock is smoother and easier to use than the compression lock. It costs more than a Rat 1 but less than the PM2. I got mine for $110. Buy one if you don't like it I'll buy it back from you. :)
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

holeshot wrote: They are very similar as far as size and weight. The Freek is like a Rat1 on steroids but much better blade steel and is lighter it opens and closes like a hot knife through butter and IMO the Axis lock is smoother and easier to use than the compression lock. It costs more than a Rat 1 but less than the PM2. I got mine for $110. Buy one if you don't like it I'll buy it back from you. :)
To me, the compression lock is the best feature. I can put pressure on it and flip the blade out in one motion. Almost negates the value of the spyder hole.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Ergonomically the Axis lock is way easier to use than the compression lock especially if your left handed.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

PSquared wrote: For giggles I decided to record which knives I carry this year.
Hah no kidding! I've been doing that too this year, marking each day on my Spyderco calendar! I haven't tallied mine up yet though because I don't want it to affect my choices, making this as blind a study as one can carry out on himself. Perhaps I'm just a stat nerd, but I'm super curious to see at the end of the year if my perceptions of my favorite knives coincide with what I actually use the most.

To the topic though, the Mantra is the perfect EDC as I define the term. Small, light, classy, top notch materials, and most importantly easy to use. I find flippers in general work better for me, but the clip and handle combination on the Mantra make it the quickest I've experienced to draw, open, use, close, and put away with such grace and ease, it makes me feel like the Doc Holiday of cutting things.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."