Yojimbo 2 - utility blade? YES!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RLR

Yojimbo 2 - utility blade? YES!

Post by RLR »

Used the Yo2 today to do a lot of work:

1) cut a sofa apart, thick fabric, foam, hemp twine, hardwood dowels, etc.
2) took down a large desk, cut wood veneer, pressboard, scored panels to snap.

Throughout the job, hit nails, staples, knots, etc. The edge was dinged and rolled, the tip blunted out, but, the performance was excellent. I didn't do any prying.

No play in lock, ergonomic grip in push, pull, reverse grip all great.

After the work, I ran the edge on a Lansky fine diamond benchstone and brought the Yo2 back to hair popping with a perfect straight edge. Gotta love the wharncliffe profile for touch up and resharpening.

I was impressed with the real-world performance.

Go use 'em, just watch the tip. They take a beating and then sharpen back up like new in a few seconds.
kens73

Post by kens73 »

I'd love to use mine, but it's been on back order
At CS since November.
Lost count ... :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Super Blue Lover
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great to hear! I'm sure many were interested.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad your Yo2 is serving you well and performing as intended!

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
petehd

Re: Yojimbo 2 - utility blade? YES!

Post by petehd »

Dear mister Janich

i'm honored to speak with you,i have only 1 question:
i love my yo2, i use it in all my works days and for me it is an incredible edc,the ergonomic, the blade, the little choil space for precision cut and all the package make the yo2 the perfect edc knife in all the way. MY QUESTION IS THIS:you have designed the yo2 with the only SD idea in your mind or the knife are projected like a great edc\tactical tool? because i dont think that one knife that shine in edc situation is only a coincidence.
this question turn in my brain only time that i use my gem,at work or only when i prepare a food.
I'M NOT A SD GUY BUT THE YO 2 IS MY FAVORITE EDC KNIFE,I'M IN ERROR?
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR GREAT AND HARD WORK
PETEHD
sorry for my horrible english
Donut

Post by Donut »

From what I've heard, Mike designed the Yojimbo to be like the Wharncliff blades he was used to using when he was young.

(Not that he isn't young now. :p )

Here is a video of him describing the design and he briefly says that it is similar to a utility blade.

https://youtu.be/4_sfe47TWeo
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
petehd

Post by petehd »

thanks DONUT for the great video.
If i understand mr Janich consider the yo2 a great sd blade also a utility blade and is the same thing of think myself about this great knife
thanks again for your clarify to my question
petehd
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcome to the forum petehd.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The tip may be on the thin side compared to what we're used to seeing in pocket knives these days, but they're still significantly thicker than a typical razor blade utility knife. As long as you aren't prying or stabbing or dropping it on hard surfaces the tip is strong enough.

However, I still think it's an awesome idea to make this knife in a tougher steel for those of us who do use them primarily for utility.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Buy one you will NOT be disappointed! It's a cutting machine and a tactical dream.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

I'm another newcomer to the Yo2 party, mainly because I previously thought it's sole function was sd, and never realized how amazing it is for edc. Definitely one of the alltime best utility knives imho.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you all for your continued interest in the Yo 2 and a great discussion.

My appreciation for Wharncliffes probably began when I built plastic models as a kid. My Dad got me an X-Acto knife with a variety of blades, which I used to cut the plastic parts off the sprue (the molded frame they were attached to). After trying all the different blades, I ditched the curved, sweeping one and found that the ones with the straight edges worked the best. In a small blade, they cut with power all the way to the point.

Helping my Dad with DIY projects around the house, I noticed that most utility knives, electrician's knives, and similar "trade-oriented" cutting tools were Wharncliffe or sheepfoot blades. Again, in practice, it made sense and they worked. I chose my first pocketknives--Case slipjoints with straight edges--based on that experience.

When I started studying combative knife skills as a teenager, I read all the classic WW2 books on the topic, many of which recommended Bowie-style blades with significant "belly" to the edge so they could be used to snap cut. My taste in knives changed as a result of that and I began carrying blades with more belly and well-centered points. My first commercial knife design--the Masters of Defense Tempest--even reflected that style. However, when I had a chance to design what ultimately became the Ronin, I went "back to the drawing board" and did a lot of live-blade cutting with everything in my collection. I found that the knife0 that cut best was actually my Spyderco C25 Centofante, which was a Wharncliffe. When I began to analyze and really understand the dynamics of cutting, I realized why.

Cutting is cutting, whether it's utilitarian or defensive. For cutting power and dexterity in a small blade, the Wharncliffe really shines.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Yo2 is just one bad dude!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks for sharing about the centofante, I like learning about the design process and origins of the Ronin/Yojimbo. I had watched the evolution of the Yojimbo2 vid, but I didn't know the C25 centofante was the wharcliffe used when you were testing different blade shapes.
centofante.jpg
Yo2.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

Now all we need is one with a blacked out blade/liners/screws/clip and midnight blue g10 handles. :3