SHOT Show 2017 - Videos, Reviews and Gossip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: SHOT Show 2017 - Videos, Reviews and Gossip

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:What's this 4 blade options on the Caribbean I keep seeing? Are they doing clip point and wharnie in both edge types?
Yep, in one of the SHOT show videos Eric goes over the PE and SE Leaf shaped Caribbean's and mentions the wharnie will also be available in both PE and SE.

EDIT: This is in the beginning of the "BladeHQ" SHOT show video around 1:15 into the video.
Last edited by Mushroom on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Evil D wrote:What's this 4 blade options on the Caribbean I keep seeing? Are they doing clip point and wharnie in both edge types?
Yep, in one of the SHOT show videos Eric goes over the PE and SE Leaf shaped Caribbean's and mentions the wharnie will also be available in both PE and SE.
I mistook that as meaning the SE version would be the wharnie and the PE version would be the leaf shape. If so I will almost certainly buy a PE wharnie version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Quite right.

What I'm curious about is the liners and other hardware, and if it will be as rust proof as the blade. Can I be as careless with this baby as I am with my Pacific Salt? I hope so cuz the last thing I want is a nice shiny blade on a rusty pivot, grinding its way out of a rusty handle.

And there is something about the detail that Eric goes into that makes me want to buy everything he's selling. He really emphasizes what's so impressive about each knife and does it enthusiastically, but without sounding like a salesman.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yup. I believe PE wharncliffe and SE leaf were the only versions on display from what we've seen so far.
vivi

Post by vivi »

PayneTrain wrote:
Quite right.

What I'm curious about is the liners and other hardware, and if it will be as rust proof as the blade. Can I be as careless with this baby as I am with my Pacific Salt? I hope so cuz the last thing I want is a nice shiny blade on a rusty pivot, grinding its way out of a rusty handle.

And there is something about the detail that Eric goes into that makes me want to buy everything he's selling. He really emphasizes what's so impressive about each knife and does it enthusiastically, but without sounding like a salesman.
Agreed on all counts. His descriptions of certain knives made me more interested in models I wasn't crazy about. The Chinook has more belly than I prefer, but after hearing him talk about how its trimmed down from the originals while still maintaining its distinguished form factor, it made me want to try one.

I'm really curious about the Caribbeans weight. One of the reasons I like Pacific Salts so much is its only 3 oz for a full sized pocket knife, while most others its size are 4-6oz. I expect the Caribbean to weigh more, but if its over 4.5 oz it won't replace my Pacific Salts completely.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Yup, leaf and wharnie in PE and SE.

EDIT: Sorry Payne and Vivi. Didn't catch your response.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
thelock

Post by thelock »

Finally a compression lock salt knife. THumbz way up, just please drop the yellow g10 thing, or at least offer it in black too.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Anyone know where any pics of the FRN chap can be found? I can't find any details about the texturing of the FRN
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

On the Fishhunter is yellow going to be the only FRN option, or will it also come in black?
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I had an interesting thought this morning while watching the videos. There is a segment of people out there that ask for one of two things, 1. a higher-end Tenacious, or 2. more knives without a choil. Looking at the impressive amount of cutting edge on the Caribbean has me wondering, does that blade shape fit the bill?

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I must be the one that isn't crazy about the Caribbean, but from what I've seen it's gonna be a very good year for us... :-)
swigert

Post by swigert »

nirvanero wrote:I must be the one that isn't crazy about the Caribbean, but from what I've seen it's gonna be a very good year for us... :-)
I like everything but that g10. That will be a deal breaker for me.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Yea, I'm not a huge fan of the G10 on that model either. The sheepsfoot/Wharncliffe blade looks awesome though!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Mushroom wrote:

EDIT: This is in the beginning of the "BladeHQ" SHOT show video around 1:15 into the video.
Maybe I'm reading too much into this but Eric says that the Caribbean is a new series with the salt series, not just a new model. Bombshell?
Does he mean that the Caribbean has multiple blade offerings or there are others coming in the Caribbean series too?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

SF Native wrote:
Maybe I'm reading too much into this but Eric says that the Caribbean is a new series with the salt series, not just a new model. Bombshell?
Does he mean that the Caribbean has multiple blade offerings or there are others coming in the Caribbean series too?
Could be that or series in the sense that there will be least four blade styles for it.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

So it doesn't look like the lefty pm2 or the lefty military was at the show. Has anyone heard anything? From the no show I'd be guessing second half of the year?
shaztecs_knives on instagram
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Michael Janich again on the Para 3, D'Allara and Efficient

https://youtu.be/jTwwam-bnds
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is a bit off topic but since this is a hot thread I know this will be seen, and it doesn't need a new thread just to ask.

D'Allara...I've always pronounced that with a hard D and then "Allara" but Eric was pronouncing it just as "Dallara". Which is correct? I hate mispronouncing peoples' names.

I still don't know how to say Southard. Is it "SOUTHard" or "SUTHard"?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Reckon I would default to Eric's pronunciation.
As for the Southard, I pronounce it SUTHard.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Evil D wrote:This is a bit off topic but since this is a hot thread I know this will be seen, and it doesn't need a new thread just to ask.

D'Allara...I've always pronounced that with a hard D and then "Allara" but Eric was pronouncing it just as "Dallara". Which is correct? I hate mispronouncing peoples' names.

I still don't know how to say Southard. Is it "SOUTHard" or "SUTHard"?
I feel you on this, and i cringe at all variations of VALLOTTON i see in posts :)
Regarding D'Allara i have met and heard of some D'*****s through the years and they all pronounce their names as if written without apostrophe.
I have talked about my knife as Suthard as well before, guess i will have to get used to SOUTHard :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.