stoppin Nirvana

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dirk de wit

stoppin Nirvana

Post by dirk de wit »

I am very impressed by the build quality of my Nirvana .
amazing details and flawless workmanship .

As a knifmaker and collector there is one thing that keeps me awake at night about this knife :
How on Earth dit they get the stoppin in place ?
Does anyone have any idea ?
There are no gaps , no scratchmarks inside or outside the frame :confused:
kind regards,
dirk
farnorthdan

Re: stoppin Nirvana

Post by farnorthdan »

I'm pretty sure it was install from the outside, I know somewhere there are pictures of one showing this, Maybe seen on BF, blended in very nicely, barely noticeable. I'm still waiting on mine, on KW's pre-order list and they assured me mine will go out when they receive their next batch, such a long wait but I know it will be worth it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dirk de wit

Post by dirk de wit »

uBrdAq4.jpg
Thanks !
I feel a bit ashamed , for I handled the prototype last year at the spyderco meet in Amsterdam .
Clearly visible on the picture but impossible to find on my Nirvana ; what a craftsmanship !
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wonder how they bend the lock bar?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dirk de wit

Post by dirk de wit »

Must be with heat I think .
for cold bending you have to overstretch the lockbar but there is limited space inside the frame .
when you apply heat to the locbar during bending you don't need to overstretch is my experience ; the lockbar will stay in the same angle it was during bending after it cools down
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm just speculating, but it may also be possible to bend the lock-bar without heat if they applied enough pressure to the lock bar at its farthest point from the locking tab. When building a RIL or even a LL, some makers will bend the lock bar approximately 3/4 of the way over to the opposite scale in order to provide effective tension on the lock (usually when the knife is dissembled). Depending on the knife, I personally aim to bend the lock bar at about 5/8 the distance. It is easier to bend when you lock the liner or scale off in a vice and use Vise Grips to slowly and carefully bend the locking tab over. It can be done when the knife is assembled, but would only work well on RILs since you can access the full length of the locking tab even when the knife is assembled. I should add that this is the method I use when bending titanium only, and am usually bending at thicknesses of .040"--0.062". You can bend the locking tab with fingers too, but it is a little tough to do accurately and hurts the fingers. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dirk de wit

Post by dirk de wit »

I bend the lockbar of my folders the full thickness of the blade .
The lockbar on the Nirvana is allso bend the full thickness of the blade ( I saw a video on the internet of a disasembled nirvana ).
I use a small torch to heat up the lockbarcutout ( 1,1mm thick and around 10mm wide )untill that surface has an evenly orange colour
I use a vice to clamp the handlescale/liner and apply very little pressure to bend the lockbar while heating until the desired angle is reached .
The lockbar seems to have a better memory when bend hot is my experience ; but we are getting a bit off topic now ;)
lunde

Post by lunde »

I am fairly certain that the stop pin has only one hole, meaning that it is not drilled all of the way through the frame. I don't know about others, but I can barely notice the outline of the hole in all three Nirvana specimens that I own, and it's on the lockbar side of the frame as shown in the photo above.
dirk de wit

Post by dirk de wit »

I think you are right !
But three Nirvana's wowww :cool:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

lunde wrote:I am fairly certain that the stop pin has only one hole, meaning that it is not drilled all of the way through the frame. I don't know about others, but I can barely notice the outline of the hole in all three Nirvana specimens that I own, and it's on the lockbar side of the frame as shown in the photo above.
I can't see a circle on mine at all. I forgot about this until you pointed it out. Maybe I got lucky? I would think they would all be the same in that regard.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I've stared at mine intently and can't see any circle either.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Stared at mine for several minutes in direct sunshine and couldn't spot anything either...

I keep seeing this thread title BTW and thinking "There's no stopping the Nirvana!" ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
dirk de wit

Post by dirk de wit »

I think it was only visible on the prototype version .
They did an outstanding job in Taichung ; not even the custom Nirvana has an invisible stoppin !
you would expect some colour difference , but even that is not visible :cool: .