New KW Military in CTS-204P

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: New KW Military in CTS-204P

Post by awa54 »

It arrived today... I think I've been sucked in :O The Military is stunningly small and light in the pocket for a knife that's so big! I'm not going to be going crazy on Millies and I'm certain that it won't replace the PM2 as my favorite larger folder, but it's a much better fit with my criteria for liking a knife than I had expected.

Before it's all over I will undoubtedly get another, now which one?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Imo, go for the s110v version.
I know that will be my next one.
Wanted so badly to grab one this first go around, but other commitments wouldnt allow.
Plus, the best thing too, the s110v will be a regular production Millie.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Definitely get the s110v version next
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

CTS-204P less rust resistant than S110V?
animportant

Post by animportant »

Mikael Andersson wrote:CTS-204P less rust resistant than S110V?
I believe the 204p, m390, 20cv family is more rust resistant. I know carbide structure alone isn't enough to determine corrosion resistance but it's a big part of it. 204p is 20% chromium, s90v and s110v are ~15%. Stainless knives typically start at 13%.

Some other steel junkies on the forum know a bit more than I do about how different steel processes allow more chromium to be free to protect against rust and hopefully they'll weigh in.

Adding that Crucible states that s110v is a bit more corrosion resistant than s90v. With very similar chromium content it must come down to process.
TheSpur22

Post by TheSpur22 »

Image First Millie! This thing is smooth...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TheSpur22 wrote:Image First Millie! This thing is smooth...
Awesome. Congratz man.
Mikael Andersson

animportant wrote:
I believe the 204p, m390, 20cv family is more rust resistant. I know carbide structure alone isn't enough to determine corrosion resistance but it's a big part of it. 204p is 20% chromium, s90v and s110v are ~15%. Stainless knives typically start at 13%.

Some other steel junkies on the forum know a bit more than I do about how different steel processes allow more chromium to be free to protect against rust and hopefully they'll weigh in.

Adding that Crucible states that s110v is a bit more corrosion resistant than s90v. With very similar chromium content it must come down to process.
Aha but what surprised me about 20CV is that according to Benchmade it's toughness is only one and a half stars out of five (?) stars.
animportant

Post by animportant »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
animportant wrote:

Aha but what surprised me about 20CV is that according to Benchmade it's toughness is only one and a half stars out of five (?) stars.
I have read toughness isn't amazing but from what I read it sounded more like 3/5 toughness 4.5/5 corrosion 4.5/5 wear resistance .. seems like the perfect steel for a pocket knife to me. I could never abuse my folders, I need a reason to carry fixed blades! :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yes, s110v shows better corrosion resistance than cts-204p and its equivalents. 204p is still near the top of the food chain in this regard though.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I was able to talk myself into the S110V Millie in part because of its corrosion resistance. I told myself I could take the knife backpacking. Handle color is fairly bright as well. Lightweight for its size. I carried my old orange Millie (before selling it) on my first section of the Appalachian Trail. Carried the Manix 2 Lightweight for another section. Last few sections I've had the Pac Salt serrated. Think I'll go back to the Millie for the next leg.
Mikael Andersson

Surfingringo wrote:
Yes, s110v shows better corrosion resistance than cts-204p and its equivalents. 204p is still near the top of the food chain in this regard though.
Yes, yes... but S110V is a tiny little bit better and that's what some people want myself included... that tiny little bit better steel.
Mikael Andersson

animportant wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
animportant wrote:

I have read toughness isn't amazing but from what I read it sounded more like 3/5 toughness 4.5/5 corrosion 4.5/5 wear resistance .. seems like the perfect steel for a pocket knife to me. I could never abuse my folders, I need a reason to carry fixed blades! :)
Perhaps... but I would avoid 20CV in any fixed blade knife due to it's somewhat poor toughness.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Mikael Andersson wrote:Aha but what surprised me about 20CV is that according to Benchmade it's toughness is only one and a half stars out of five (?) stars.

Perhaps... but I would avoid 20CV in any fixed blade knife due to it's somewhat poor toughness.

So what fixed blades do you own in 20CV?
Mikael Andersson

Studey wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Aha but what surprised me about 20CV is that according to Benchmade it's toughness is only one and a half stars out of five (?) stars.

So what fixed blades do you own in 20CV?
None and I wouldn't buy any either.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Yes, yes... but S110V is a tiny little bit better and that's what some people want myself included... that tiny little bit better steel.
Actually in my experience, s110v has shown itself to be more than a tiny bit better. It has shown itself (in my saltwater use) to be a full and notable step above steels like 204p and m390 in corrosion resistance.
Mikael Andersson

Surfingringo wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Actually in my experience, s110v has shown itself to be more than a tiny bit better. It has shown itself (in my saltwater use) to be a full and notable step above steels like 204p and m390 in corrosion resistance.
That's great. :)
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

My M390 mule is great for doing just about everything. However I can't speak to corrosion resistance because I use it mainly around the house. As for S110V, I've taken my PM blurple saltwater fishing and ended up abusing it rather badly. It was left for a long period of time (six weeks or so) without even a rinse off after being used to cut bait and left damp from saltwater. (Knife was lost, found, then returned via mail after vacation). Came through without even a speck of discoloration which really surprised me.

Still.. CTS204P/M390 is amazing stuff. And I have a couple of green 204P Para's which I think are among the best looking variants. So I wish I had acquired one of the Military models when they were on sale.
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

I am not a big fan of the military, being a lefty and liking knives more around the size of the Para, but I gotta say, im friggin lovin this combo! The handle scales color and the 204P, dangggg! Would look nice with my KW 204P para..
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Spook410 wrote:My M390 mule is great for doing just about everything. However I can't speak to corrosion resistance because I use it mainly around the house. As for S110V, I've taken my PM blurple saltwater fishing and ended up abusing it rather badly. It was left for a long period of time (six weeks or so) without even a rinse off after being used to cut bait and left damp from saltwater. (Knife was lost, found, then returned via mail after vacation). Came through without even a speck of discoloration which really surprised me.

Still.. CTS204P/M390 is amazing stuff. And I have a couple of green 204P Para's which I think are among the best looking variants. So I wish I had acquired one of the Military models when they were on sale.
Trade ya! :D

But seriously, this knife is still available and $20 is only 10%... I was seriously thinking about getting one at $199, the sale just happened to suck me in for sure. Mind you I'm not complaining about the sale price, but knowing what I now know, I'd gladly pay the extra $20!

BTW, I thought mine was really sharp from the factory, but a few passes at 30 deg on the SM fine rods followed by stropping on yellowstone confirmed that it gets even sharper with very little effort!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...