Ergonomic Favorite Spyders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Re: Ergonomic Favorite Spyders?

Post by Holland »

caly3 and dodo
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Stretch, Chaparral, Kiwi, K05 Small Utility, and K08 Santoku.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Stretch, Chaparral, Kiwi,
and no Persian :( . I thought that you are still a fan. Of cause it is not Stretch, but Spyderhole on Persian is most likely bigger than on Kiwi or Chap :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Stretch, Chaparral, Kiwi,
and no Persian :( . I thought that you are still a fan. Of cause it is not Stretch, but Spyderhole on Persian is most likely bigger than on Kiwi or Chap :)
The Persian frustrates me, Roman. It's beautiful to look at, arguably the best looking knife Spyderco has ever offered. It's also highly ergonomic, right up until the moment I have to close it. Then the stupid, totally unnecessary Boye dent that's cut so deep that it disappears into the handle and I have to press on its pointy edges to get the lock to release, makes me wince in pain. When I got the first one I thought, "ok, whoever cut the dent in this one went too far", so I got another, and another, only to find they were all like that. So, instead of riding in my pocket, mine all just sit on the shelf.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

Domino
Military
Stretch
The Endura feels pretty good too.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:D'allara, R, Kris, Manix XL, Aqua Salt, Warrior.
I can't argue with you at all concerning the "D'Allara" model because when I had one as a "user" model some years back I was indeed impressed with the handle contour and found it extremely comfortable in my hand :cool: The KRIS model has always alluded me>> it's one of the very few old-school Spyders that I never got to own or use :( Oh I still hold out hope that one day I'll walk into a pawn shop or bait shop and a used one will be there at a very reasonable price. But with all the stuff on my want list and the GAUNTLET about to be on the market at any given time I won't throw that money at a NIB collector piece.

But that handle on the KRIS sure looked like it had the ergos I like in a handle. The one Aqua Salt I got to check out at a recent Gun Show here in KC reminded me a lot of the great, almost perfect handle of the TEMP 1 fixed blade model.

But again the handle on the "D'Allara" was truly a well proportioned, well contoured handle and I wouldn't mind seeing that one again at some point.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

UKPK/Caly 3/Urban
Dragonfly
Pingo

Really all the Spydercos I have are excellent, but those are the *most* perfect in my hand.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Poliwog!

Ouroboros!!

Rock Salt!!!!

I like to think I did an okay job on ergos too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SolidState wrote:Poliwog!

Ouroboros!!

Rock Salt!!!!
The POLIWOG!! There's an interesting pick to be sure. The reason I take note of the POLIWOG is because it's one of Eric Glesser's designs and he's been a favorite of mine for some time now. Actually the more I think about it I should have listed the Dodo model ( another Eric Glesser design) instead of the C-36 Military because I was using my Dodo yesterday and the grip is almost perfect.

I do think Eric Glesser has been spot on with ergo grips for some time now and I'm anxious to see what's coming down his design pipeline.

This has been a very interesting thread and I bet several people's selections might be based on what they've read so far. Because to me ergonomics is truly what I base a lot of my favorite Spyder models on.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The Captain definitely deserves a spot in this list.
And who could forget about the Dodo :)

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote: The Persian frustrates me, Roman. It's beautiful to look at, arguably the best looking knife Spyderco has ever offered. It's also highly ergonomic, right up until the moment I have to close it. Then the stupid, totally unnecessary Boye dent that's cut so deep that it disappears into the handle and I have to press on its pointy edges to get the lock to release, makes me wince in pain.
I never had good undestanding of Boye dent. N5 doesn't have it and I didn't miss it even once. IMHO absolutely unnessacary feature. Also the knives look better without it, at least IMHO.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

First, I still haven''t found the Spyderco that combines my idea of perfect blade and handle ergos, in large part because I'm not really certain what is my idea of perfection, as it seems to fluctuate. Secondly, I have to consider aesthetics as part of the equation. If a knife embodies my perfect ergos, then it will/should be beautiful to me too.

Here are the ones that come closest to my ideals...I think (and in no particular order):
- Caly 3/3.5 (I've always wished for an open construction liner or compression lock version of this and the Calypso)
- Calypso
- PM2 (imagine if a PM2 mated with a Caly 3.5...i wonder...)
- GB2 (got to admit, I'm missing the 3/4 choil)

Could the yet to be released "Advocate" end my search?
Last edited by Mako109 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Based on just ergos, and in my own collection, and for my own hands:
DF2
Mantra
Techno
Chaparral
Delica/Nirvana
Ladybug

Ladybug loses by default for being so small, although at that size it has great ergos. The Nirvana falls down on this list because all of the ones above it except the Techno are more function-oriented designs; however, the Nirvana actually has really good ergos, with multiple good hand positions. Both the Mantra and Techno immediately caused a strong reaction from me when I first handled them; they just fit my hands perfectly. I rank the Mantra higher because while this isn't a fault of the Techno, the Mantra is simply larger, which means more people will have a better fit with their hands than the smaller Techno. The DF2 is just an inspired design in terms of ergonomics, and it wins out even over the larger knives simply because even the largest hands can still get a 3 or 3.5 finger grip on it and use it just as well. The Chaparral is just great due to the choil and the handle shape. The Delica's design is getting a little long-in-the-tooth but still excellent in-hand.

My wife has a Cricket, and it is much better in my hand than I thought it would be.

Others I don't own but have handled with ergos that I personally particularly like: PM2, Caly3, Roadie, Sage, Slysz Bowie, and I really liked the new Magnitude at Blade.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Skeptic13

Post by Skeptic13 »

Of the ones I own the Manix 2 and the Delica are my favorites.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Delica 4 and Older Native. Delica feels great in all grips, and is perfectly grippy.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mako109 wrote:First, I still haven''t found the Spyderco that combines my idea of perfect blade and handle ergos, in large part because I'm not really certain what is my idea of perfection, as it seems to fluctuate. Secondly, I have to consider aesthetics as part of the equation. If a knife embodies my perfect ergos, then it will/should be beautiful to me too.

Here are the ones that come closest to my ideals...I think (and in no particular order):
- Caly 3/3.5 (I've always wished for an open construction liner or compression lock version of this and the Calypso)
- Calypso
You've hit on a good on there "Mako" with the big C-54 Calypso model :cool: I"ve had a few of those in SE & PE both and that is a great handle to blade ergonomic combo to be sure. All of the Calypso models were evolved off the C-54 Calypso model. I believe it was one of the first Spyderco folders with a Micarta handle. For a full sized folder it is well balanced and easy to deploy. As I said you can attribute the glory of all the Calypso models to the original C-54 Calypso.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

For me it's my Mules with Halpern Option 4 G-10 scales. They fit my hand perfectly and comfortably, rock solid.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mako109 wrote:First, I still haven''t found the Spyderco that combines my idea of perfect blade and handle ergos, in large part because I'm not really certain what is my idea of perfection, as it seems to fluctuate. Secondly, I have to consider aesthetics as part of the equation. If a knife embodies my perfect ergos, then it will/should be beautiful to me too.

- Calypso
You've hit on a good on there "Mako" with the big C-54 Calypso model :cool: I"ve had a few of those in SE & PE both and that is a great handle to blade ergonomic combo to be sure. All of the Calypso models were evolved off the C-54 Calypso model. I believe it was one of the first Spyderco folders with a Micarta handle. For a full sized folder it is well balanced and easy to deploy. As I said you can attribute the glory of all the Calypso models to the original C-54 Calypso.
+1...forgot all about the Big Caly...JD is right about being one of the first with Micarta handles, and the balance and easy to deploy. Sal once told me that he designed and made the Big Caly for himself as a EDC. If you have ever carried one....feel privileged....Doc:)
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

For me the Manix 2 seems to fit my left hand a little bit better than the Paramilitary 2 and I have a weird fondness of spear shaped blades for some reason.
Sarge930

Post by Sarge930 »

Mikael Andersson wrote:For me the Manix 2 seems to fit my left hand a little bit better than the Paramilitary 2 and I have a weird fondness of spear shaped blades for some reason.
But only if it had a rainbow colored blade that was from a pm2 that was extended 2mm then diagonally cut to 3" with a benchmade axis lock, right?