BHQ Paramilitary 2 CPM M4 Exclusive.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: BHQ Paramilitary 2 CPM M4 Exclusive.

Post by tvenuto »

Surfingringo wrote:My first attempt at forcing a patina on m4 was a bit of a fiasco. I have done a few since then with no issue. The easiest way to do it is in boiling hot vinegar. The heat is the key. Boil some vinegar in a mug in the microwave then drop the blade in. Nice light patina in just a minute or two. If you want it dark then leave it 5-10 minutes.

Here's my thoughts on m4 and patina. M4 is not really that corrosion prone in normal use. I probably won't bother doing anything to this knife. On my m4 work knives that see kitchen use and fish cleaning use I do start with a light forced patina and it definitely helps keep the red rust away if you're exposing it to lots of corrosive environments. I don't think a heavy dark patina is necessary though. Just soak it for a minute or two until it starts to gray just a bit. It will absolutely help prevent heavier corrosion. Kind of like getting a base tan before you go on vacation to Costa Rica. ;0
Did you coat the pivot area in something?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

So, these are indeed in stock again right now. I just picked one up for our good buddy Jon, soon they'll be at least one of these awesome PM2s in Belgium! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
FK

Post by FK »

Thanks for heads up,,, I just ordered a second PM2 in M4,,, will customize with after market scales.

Regards,
FK
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tvenuto wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:My first attempt at forcing a patina on m4 was a bit of a fiasco. I have done a few since then with no issue. The easiest way to do it is in boiling hot vinegar. The heat is the key. Boil some vinegar in a mug in the microwave then drop the blade in. Nice light patina in just a minute or two. If you want it dark then leave it 5-10 minutes.

Here's my thoughts on m4 and patina. M4 is not really that corrosion prone in normal use. I probably won't bother doing anything to this knife. On my m4 work knives that see kitchen use and fish cleaning use I do start with a light forced patina and it definitely helps keep the red rust away if you're exposing it to lots of corrosive environments. I don't think a heavy dark patina is necessary though. Just soak it for a minute or two until it starts to gray just a bit. It will absolutely help prevent heavier corrosion. Kind of like getting a base tan before you go on vacation to Costa Rica. ;0
Did you coat the pivot area in something?
No sir. On the couple of folders I've done I didn't even disassemble. I just dipped it up to the ricasso. Honestly, I don't have too much trouble with the pivots. I have been using my 52100 Millie (no forced patina) for a few weeks now for everything from kitchen duty to cleaning fish. The blade is a total rainbow at this point but the pivot area seems to be in good shape. Usually I just rinse it with a hose, dry the blade off on my pants and try to knock the water out of the pivot area by whacking the closed knife against my pants leg a few times. I've only hit the pivot once with wd40 and it's still as smooth as new. I'm sure it doesn't look pristine in there but it's functioning perfectly.
Last edited by Surfingringo on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

I just let my manta 2 do it's own patina from use. My GB1 gets taken care of and only has a few specks showing but I keep it away from food prep.
Donut

Post by Donut »

There was a guy who used to post on the forum, username Zenith, who would use the heck out of some of the crazier sprints/exclusives. He had a pretty nice patina on his M4 Military. I remember seeing some really dark patina pictures, but this is the best I could find in short time.

viewtopic.php?p=845276#p845276
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

It is showing In Stock right now.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

This is 52100 after a couple of weeks of everything from kitchen duty to bloody fish cleaning. No forced patina and no lubricant or protectant other than a single squirt of wd40 in the pivot a couple of weeks ago. Wash and dry these steels after use and don't let the staining bother you and there's really no big deal to maintaining them IMO. M4 will obviously be even less of an issue to maintain.
image.jpeg
Donut

Post by Donut »

And, out of stock.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Donut wrote:And, out of stock.
That's partly my fault. I had a moment of weakness and snatched a backup. :o
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Surfingringo wrote: Kind of like getting a base tan before you go on vacation to Costa Rica. ;0
So you're on vacation?

;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

i am travvy wrote:Just looked and it was in stock!!! It's a miracle! Haha. Snagged one up.
The way they were correcting the duplicate orders I knew you could get one if you didn't give up. Congrats!
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Surfingringo wrote:No sir. On the couple of folders I've done I didn't even disassemble. I just dipped it up to the ricasso. Honestly, I don't have too much trouble with the pivots. I have been using my 52100 Millie (no forced patina) for a few weeks now for everything from kitchen duty to cleaning fish. The blade is a total rainbow at this point but the pivot area seems to be in good shape. Usually I just rinse it with a hose, dry the blade off on my pants and try to knock the water out of the pivot area by whacking the closed knife against my pants leg a few times. I've only hit the pivot once with wd40 and it's still as smooth as new. I'm sure it doesn't look pristine in there but it's functioning perfectly.
Ah. When you said "drop the blade in" I assumed it was the disassembled blade only, and I know EvilD mentioned that he didn't protect the pivot once and it went poorly.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

In my experience M4 does not patina heavily if you keep it clean and dry. This is from regular food and fruit, just wash and dry. I make a point of it to blow any moisture out of the pivot area (lung power) after a wash. My GB and M4 Manix has even less staining than this. No oil or anything else on the blade.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

My oldest M4, like Hans not much natural patina has developed over the years on this Military, light to moderate use:

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Cripes!! Now we've apparently broken the USPS tracking system as well! I can't track my pacakge :mad: :rolleyes: :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

DougC-3 wrote:Cripes!! Now we've apparently broken the USPS tracking system as well! I can't track my pacakge :mad: :rolleyes: :p
USPS tracking is notoriously horrible.

I set up alerts that tell me when it's "out for delivery" and delivered.

Other than that, I ignore it.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

aquaman67 wrote:
DougC-3 wrote: I set up alerts that tell me when it's "out for delivery" and delivered.

Other than that, I ignore it.
Your self control is incredible. Even though I know I won't be seeing it til next week, I fully accept the fact that I will check it at least once a day over the weekend to see where it is. :o
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Surfingringo wrote:This is 52100 after a couple of weeks of everything from kitchen duty to bloody fish cleaning. No forced patina and no lubricant or protectant other than a single squirt of wd40 in the pivot a couple of weeks ago. Wash and dry these steels after use and don't let the staining bother you and there's really no big deal to maintaining them IMO. M4 will obviously be even less of an issue to maintain.
image.jpeg
I thought you weren't getting the 52100 Millie??
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:This is 52100 after a couple of weeks of everything from kitchen duty to bloody fish cleaning. No forced patina and no lubricant or protectant other than a single squirt of wd40 in the pivot a couple of weeks ago. Wash and dry these steels after use and don't let the staining bother you and there's really no big deal to maintaining them IMO. M4 will obviously be even less of an issue to maintain.
image.jpeg
I thought you weren't getting the 52100 Millie??

Haha, I did too! I'm pathetic. :rolleyes: