What say you? Spyderco traditional

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
harronek

Re: What say you? Spyderco traditional

Post by harronek »

The only Traditional I'd love to see Spyderco make would be a SAK type knife with multi-function blades and tools .

Ken
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think if they did a sprint of the Roadie with polished micarta, wood or nonferrous metal I would be all over it. *cough* copper *cough*. :D

Very interested in this new model as well.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I don't know if Spyderco is the company to do it, but there are a couple 'modernized' traditional patterns and options I would like to see.

First, most traditional knives still come with traditional steels. I've used Case knives, and they work, but they could work better with better blade steels. D-2, used by Queen, is about the most modern steel offered in a traditional knife. How great would it be to have a traditional knife in S110V or M4?

Most of the traditional patterns come with long thin blades, and the handles are much thicker while being also much shorter, matching the long thin blade profile. Also many of them are multi-bladed, adding again to the thickness. This gives traditional knives the feel of a rounded stick when in the pocket. Both of these features make them less than ideal for incorporating opening holes or pocket clips. That said I have long fantasized about a stockman, peanut, or mini trapper in premium steel with solid titanium scales. (ground to the same dimensions as they are currently produced.) What a cool micro pocket tank that would be. I even tried at one point to re-handle one in titanium. I spent alot of money on supplies, but alas it was above my skill level... I still feel guilty for the knife I killed in the process.

I hope that Spyderco decides to offer an upscaled version of the roadie at some point...Bolsters, premium steel, natural scales.

Grizz
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I've been rethinking this topic and come to the conclusion that aiming for an "authentic" traditional isn't as innovative as Spyderco tries to be.

But consider the Ethnic Series. Spyderco has done great work producing modernized versions of traditional knives from around the world.

Previously I mentioned the Slysz Swayback Jack framelock. Another good example could be Enrique Peña's new framelock flipper that looks like a Lanny's Clip point Trapper.

If aiming to reproduce traditional knives is not in Spyderco's wheelhouse, perhaps traditional inspired knives could find their way into the Ethnic series or be an offshoot there of.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Able Dog wrote:I've been rethinking this topic and come to the conclusion that aiming for an "authentic" traditional isn't as innovative as Spyderco tries to be.

But consider the Ethnic Series. Spyderco has done great work producing modernized versions of traditional knives from around the world.

Previously I mentioned the Slysz Swayback Jack framelock. Another good example could be Enrique Peña's new framelock flipper that looks like a Lanny's Clip point Trapper.

If aiming to reproduce traditional knives is not in Spyderco's wheelhouse, perhaps traditional inspired knives could find their way into the Ethnic series or be an offshoot there of.
Able Dog, I couldn't agree more. :) I am actually going to re-quote myself from a few posts back (sorry guys) because I think some folks may have misunderstood the intent behind this discussion:
SpyderNut wrote:
hoimin wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: +1 Exactly what I wanted to say, but you nailed it perfectly. :)
Thanks, SpyderNut! Are you going to take a swing at such a project yourself? :)
JD Spydo wrote:I don't mean to kill anyone's enthusiasm nor do I want to be a "fly In the ointment" but the more I read this thread the more I conclude that it would truly be counter-productive for Spyderco to go backwards to compete in or embrace the "traditional" folding knife market. Because you already have a plethora of companies that already fill that void in the market many times over IMO.

One of the main attractions that drew me to Spyderco to begin with was the fact that they didn't go along with the status quo and they have been innovators from the get-go IMO. I really like the fact that there is very little old school type designs, hardware, materials and marketing that goes into most Spyderco products.
I totally get where you're coming from, and for the most part agree. Spyderco shouldn't deviate from its bread and butter of affordable high performance and ergonomic cutters (Golden models, Seki models); what I'm proposing (and really looking for in my personal carry) is more along the lines of a custom collab/Ethnic Series folder that hearkens back to the traditional folding knife, but with modern and Spyderco twists (Taichung models). I don't think Spyderco should try to compete with the companies that produce traditionals, per se, but pop out a couple of familiar traditional patterns with Spyderco fit/finish/features while maintaining what's really attractive about traditionals: pocketability and straight-forward cuttability.

And from a more urban perspective, no one bats an eye at a traditional nail nick folder coming out (or SAK). Most other modern folders of a usable size will draw some extra attention. Not sure it helps much when tv shows that feature Spydercos tend to put them in the hands of villains and criminals :)
I very much agree, hoimin. :) Joe, I think we're on the same page, really. AbleDog and hoimin are exactly on target regarding the concept of a "Spyder-ized" traditional folder. In other words, the idea is not to create an exact rendition of a traditional folder design (such as a Case Trapper for instance), but rather to create a modern folder that incorporates some of the traditional concepts of yesteryear (e.g. the Slysz Swayback prototype). The Swayback is a very good example of this because it features a generalized outline of the classic swayback design--but yet it uses screw-together construction, high-end blade steel, and stonewashed titanium scales vs. pinned construction, carbon blade steel, and stag scales of the original design.

In summary, we are basically looking at a virtual blending of the old with the new on this concept. Much like when Ford reintroduced the venerable Thunderbird model in 2005. The new Thunderbird looked very retro, but yet it had all of the modern-day refinements that were available in 2005. I agree that Spyderco could easily accomplish something like the Swayback--and would likely do well with it on the market too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

On Edge wrote:I can see the perspective of each submission here, and while I'm not 100% on what the OP had in mind …

I also collect "traditionals", and while these are two very distinct approaches to a common function, there is one thing I would love to see … if one of the leading makers of 'modern innovative knives' were to team up with one of the premier 'traditional' makers (e.g. Spyderco and GEC), and lend the modern steels to the traditional designs, now THAT would be something of interest. Sure the "purists" among the traditional ranks would balk and say there's nothing like good ole high carbon steel … and the modern guys would be gripin' about using both hands … but truth is, that little collaboration might very well bring the best of each of the two worlds together … S90V performance wrapped in a beautiful one of a kind stag handle or some captivating ironwood slabs?

I would be sorely tempted by something like that.

~ Edge
I apologize for being a bit late with this. I just now happened to read this topic. What I believe you are looking for, as am I, is already being done by my good friend Mr. Greg Holmes in cooperation with Queen Cutlery. I invite you to check out Trestle Pine Knives, http://www.trestlepineknives.com/
and the TSA Knives website and Blog for more information on these traditional pocketknives featuring high end modern steels. So far there have been releases of a Copperhead in 154CM, a Barlow in CPM 154, and a third edition Barlow in CPM 154 with several unique features to be released in June. Future editions to the series will feature other high end modern steels. This is something new and refreshing in the world of traditional pocketknives and I invite you to take a look.

Now in case some might think I am inappropriately drawing attention to a non-Spyderco line of knives on this, the Spyderco Forum, the fact is TSA Knives does stock a few Spyderco models, and Mr. Holmes is currently evaluating a Spyderco MT21 in CPM 4V as a possible steel selection for a future Trestle Pine knives release. So Spyderco is actually influencing the TPK project a bit in this respect.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Just saw this ... Greg is a great guy, and those do look very cool.
Thanks for sharing that!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, Demoncase posted that he saw a barlow rendition from Spydernut at Amsterdam. It was a prototype or something so there were no pictures allowed. But, if this comes about we have something to which to look forward.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Doc Dan wrote:Well, Demoncase posted that he saw a barlow rendition from Spydernut at Amsterdam. It was a prototype or something so there were no pictures allowed. But, if this comes about we have something to which to look forward.
Yep we did- and it was a lovely little piece too.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/