Favorite Big Spyder Folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pinetreebbs

Re: Favorite Big Spyder Folder?

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Until recently O would have said it's my Super Blue Endura, that steel works really well for me. OTOH, I recently started carrying my Tatanka so I can no longer consider the Endura as a "Big" folding knife. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Archimedes wrote:The K2 Farid. This is one of the more interesting large knives I have ever owned, due to the fact it carries very well due to its design. Pull it out and you have one of the best slicers ever.

I was really hot for this knife when it came out..looks like a lager Slyze Bowie with a new Steel I'd like to try, but was kinda put off by other forum members complaining about the edges being hard on the hands with prolonged use...any issues with you ? I'm thinking I should get one anyway....oh yeah, Ti is also my favorite scale material.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Military for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:52100 Military.

*mike drop*

:D
Did someone get a prototype? :p
Man, I wish. :D I was just being a little facetious. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Military
Endura

I do not think Spyderco really makes a vast array of big folders, where big means > 4".
They make a modest array in this size range, and a larger array of mid-sized folders (3-4").
And plenty of smaller folders.

As already noted, Cold Steel has a much greater range of styles and sizes.

I am intrigued by the Tatanka but do not have one. I discovered when I got my first Military that there were a lot of chores where the somewhat longer blade was really handy - before then I always just used a PM2. I still like the PM2, but usually go with a 3" blade in the office and 4" at home.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Foliage Green Endura and Pacific Salt are mine.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Military
Police- SE all steel model
Honorable mention for the Matriarch 2. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

BTG wrote:
Archimedes wrote:The K2 Farid. This is one of the more interesting large knives I have ever owned, due to the fact it carries very well due to its design. Pull it out and you have one of the best slicers ever.

I was really hot for this knife when it came out..looks like a lager Slyze Bowie with a new Steel I'd like to try, but was kinda put off by other forum members complaining about the edges being hard on the hands with prolonged use...any issues with you ? I'm thinking I should get one anyway....oh yeah, Ti is also my favorite scale material.

I have used it for day to day quick cutting chores no problem. Last Thanksgiving I carved a pretty big turkey and a good sized ham and no problems. It was a lot of cutting for my typical folding knife use. No hot spots. I also have large hands.
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Until recently O would have said it's my Super Blue Endura, that steel works really well for me. OTOH, I recently started carrying my Tatanka so I can no longer consider the Endura as a "Big" folding knife. :D
I had a Tatanka for about a week or so. Way too big for my taste. Liked the balance and the feel though!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:The Ulize is an amazing knife. It's one that must be handled and used to appreciate. It handles like a small folding kukri.
I couldn't agree with you more EVIL D and if they will ever at least give us one "recurve" blade in Spyderedge I wish it would be the ULIZE. The Spyker would be my ideal, fantasy wish come true but I doubt we ever see it again even in a Sprint Run. But the ULIZE in SE would be ultra-wicked I'm sure of it.
JT

Post by JT »

1. THE Tatanka.
2. Ulize
3. Superhawk /Spyderhawk
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Manix XL. Totally underrated, I have no idea how they offer it at the going rate.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The Manix 2 XL is the best design for me, an amazing, near perfect design. And lately I'm carrying the Millie more than it, also own more Millie variants. Love its comfortable handling, light weight, and Spyderco tradition.

The Endura comes in third for me along with the Pacific Salt.

Honorable mention:
I coveted the Calypso for years, but it never got to the top of my buy list. Also I handled the Tatanka in a store and was very impressed with the balance, feel, function, and precision construction. I think it's much underappreciated, especially at such as reasonable price for an innovative knife like that.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Military, vollotton and JD Smith endura too
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
BTG wrote:

I have used it for day to day quick cutting chores no problem. Last Thanksgiving I carved a pretty big turkey and a good sized ham and no problems. It was a lot of cutting for my typical folding knife use. No hot spots. I also have large hands.
This K2 model has been on my radar screen for some time now and I'm continually hearing nothing but good about it. On the surface it looks to have just a bit more bulk than I normally like in a folder. But the more I look at it I've pretty much decided I'm going to have to test drive one to make up my own mind about it. But the guys that like it a lot are guys that are pretty much in agreement with me most of the time so it's high time I take a closer look at this K2 model.

Also I'm finding it interesting that the JD Smith keeps popping up. It's so under-appreciated compared to a lot of the more popular models but it's also hard to find anyone that doesn't like it. It's been an extremely interesting thread on these big folders for sure. But by all means I want to hear more.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Military.
SE Pacific Salt is a nice 2nd.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joris Mo wrote:Military.
SE Pacific Salt is a nice 2nd.
The Golden CO USA Earth made Spyders have had a rich history of premium big folders. The Manix models, The Chinook models, and the C-36 Military just keeps getting more and more popular as time goes on. And for a model with it's lofty price tag ( including special Sprint runs in the supersteels) I still maintain that it should be Spyderco's flagship model from now on IMO. I used my M390 Military today for some really demanding jobs. I was going to touch it up on the Sharpmaker>>It's still as sharp as a well honed straight razor even after working it hard all day. Needless to say I just put the Sharpmaker away because there was no need for it.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Hello, New to this forum. But I just got my Tatanka and friggnA! This things rocks! I got a few knives and I think this is about the sharpest knife I've ever received. I pack it and no problems here. Love big knives.
Thanks
Marty
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum Marty, that Tatanka is a beast of a blade for sure, congrats.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

image.jpeg
I must say Millie
I don't carry it personaly anymore, but is a **** of a knife. If you want big folder and still light enough to EDC, this is it.