Manix 2 Dark Blue G10 S110v just dropped!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: Manix 2 Dark Blue G10 S110v just dropped!!

Post by farnorthdan »

Great pics Tabo, even after having a number of M2's it still amazes me how good these feel in the hand.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

Great pics you guys.
Black pocket clip is a nice touch, maybe some black hardware as well?
The thing looks awesome!
I am jealous of those who have received yours already. I am excited to get mine even though it won't be here until Friday. :(
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
palonej

Post by palonej »

Hang in there zacman!!!! Friday will be here before your u know it.........nah, it will feel like forever bro!!! If it was me my face would be stuck on the front window!!
:D :D
Joe
BAHiker

Post by BAHiker »

Just ordered mine. Might do away with the scales though.
Waco

Post by Waco »

These pics look better than what I've seen in catalogs. Must be different lighting.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Custom scales are a must here. Just cause its production. I won't change out sprint run scales.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I got mine and I concur that it's pretty much perfect. The blurple on the M2 looks different to me than on the Para 2 (which I sold). I think perhaps the cutout in the liner of the para lets through more light than the skeletonized M2 and it makes the blurple look 2-tone? I can't make a side-by-side comparison so I can't be sure. I love the blurple on the M2.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

ABX2011 wrote:I got mine and I concur that it's pretty much perfect. The blurple on the M2 looks different to me than on the Para 2 (which I sold). I think perhaps the cutout in the liner of the para lets through more light than the skeletonized M2 and it makes the blurple look 2-tone? I can't make a side-by-side comparison so I can't be sure. I love the blurple on the M2.
Its interesting you say that. I got mine in yesterday and feel the same way..for whatever reason the blurple seems different..the only thing I can think of is that maybe the scales are a different thickness than the Para2? Or it could be the liners? I also sold the S110V Para2 so I can't compare them.
I've got to comment on how sharp this paticular M2 was out of the box. I've had my fair share of Spydies over the years and many of them have been sharp but this one is easily the sharpest Spydie I've ever gotten..its a scary sharp surgical scalpel/razor blade in a box.
Last edited by Philo Beddoe on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Double post.
ChuckDiesel

Post by ChuckDiesel »

holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Got mine on Saturday and I agree it is the sharpest Spiderco I've gotten out of the box. That being said, my Endura ZDP is a real close second. I do love both knives but the G10 scales on the Manix2 just feel right in my hand compared to the ones on the Endura.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
awa54

Post by awa54 »

As far as the sharpness of the S110V blades goes, I'd call them fantastically useful and aggressive, but the HAP40 blades are definitely sharper. That said, I'm impressed by how sharp they are and how well the edge is retained, in a way that I wasn't impressed by the S90V Forum Native... not that the 2015 Forum N5LW has any real shortcomings, just that the S110v PM2 and M2 seem to be even better!

As far as F&F, the Manix and Para are both fantastic, as good as any production knife I have ever laid hands on. IMO, this series is a real winner!
Last edited by awa54 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm going through some simi-abstinence this year -- haven't ordered a knife since late November (ouch) -- but this one is definitely on the list down the road somewhere, maybe after a couple of sprints, exclusives, Ouroboros, etc. I've been a little slow to warm up to the blurple, or any kind of blue G-10, but there's something kind of honest about this glowing, purplish, outright unusual looking material, especially on my fave, the M2!

PS -- you're not helping my abstinence much with your pictures, farnorthdan and others :(
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
swigert

Post by swigert »

DougC-3 wrote:I'm going through some simi-abstinence this year -- haven't ordered a knife since late November (ouch) -- but this one is definitely on the list down the road somewhere, maybe after a couple of sprints, exclusives, Ouroboros, etc. I've been a little slow to warm up to the blurple, or any kind of blue G-10, but there's something kind of honest about this glowing, purplish, outright unusual looking material, especially on my fave, the M2!

PS -- you're not helping my abstinence much with your pictures, farnorthdan and others :(

Heres my personal thing, I won't put custom s sales on a sprint but I will in a heartbeat with a standard production knife. Im personally not a blurple fan in any way but some custom scales will be great for the pm2 and m2 s110v.
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

Hey got mine on Friday. I agree with others it's the sharpest I have recived out of the box, s110v is a great steel. The action on mine has been kinda sticky, so I have been playing with it over the weekend. Very well put together knife. I love the M2, best folder I have experienced. I hope they start producing all the newer made M2 with skeletonized liners. (If so I will have to get me another DLC blade.) :D
The dark blue g10 is really awesome, I honestly don't see purple when I look at it. Not enough to call it blurple. Its a little translucent with light, so I guess, some people might see purple. I might also switch to a black clip like Tabo, along with the black hardware off the all black M2 I have. :rolleyes: just a thought.

On second thought it will probably stay as it is. It is a very good looking knife. Dressed in it's Sundays best, haha. :p
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Those photos are very appealing...
Boar-gen

Post by Boar-gen »

I got mine today and WOW! It's fantastic! The quality of the knife and the sharpness of the blade is perfect! That is serious value for the money! I am more of a Yojimbo guy, but now I also love this Manix 2!

I hope Spyderco can confirm that they can also make a blurple G10 S110V Yojimbo and life will be perfect! -:)

Boar-gen
palonej

Post by palonej »

Just ordered one yesterday......got lucky, Justin at white mountain knives had 1 left.....will have it this Thus. Jacked for this one! I have 2 lw and one G10 and love this design!
As usual.......the waiting is the hardest part!

Hey Boar.....there was a thread recently stating Spydie wasn't sure the 110 can be used with the Yoji blade shape. I am really hoping they're able to pull it off!! I have one with Putman custom orange Anso scales that is in my pocket right now......what an awesome knife!!! Beast of a cutter in s30v.....imagine it in 110???
Here she is!
Joe
Attachments
image.jpg
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Knife Preview video from GPKnives:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K-2Qp_7xtVA

Can someone help me understand the mechanics behind how the individual is opening the knife at the end of the video? I don't understand how the blade flies open when holding the knife in that manner... If I open my Manix 2 or any of my Spydercos by using my thumb in the blade hole - I have to keep my thumb in the hole for the full rotation of the blade... I really don't understand how the person flicks the blade open like that and it perplexes me... Thanks!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

wolfgaze wrote:Knife Preview video from GPKnives:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K-2Qp_7xtVA

Can someone help me understand the mechanics behind how the individual is opening the knife at the end of the video? I don't understand how the blade flies open when holding the knife in that manner... If I open my Manix 2 or any of my Spydercos by using my thumb in the blade hole - I have to keep my thumb in the hole for the full rotation of the blade... I really don't understand how the person flicks the blade open like that and it perplexes me... Thanks!
I believe he's just inserting his thumb tip, including the nail, into the hole and flicking his thumb. Personally, I don't like this method. It seems to me that if the knife shifts a bit, you can slice your thumb. If I'm going to flick the knife open (which is not necessary--you can just open it with the ball of your thumb, some people think it's bad for the lock to flick it, etc) I just flick it with the tip, including nail, of my middle finger. In my case this seems totally dependable and easy and always works, even with the Yojinbo. Just my 10 cents.

Edit: To explain how his method works, I'd say it's like thumping or shooting a marble, and the thumping effect is increased if the knife has a strong detent. I have a PM2 which has such a strong detent I accidentally "thumped" it about 4 feet, luckily onto a bed, when the handle slipped from my hand (using the middle finger tip plus nail technique).
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.