I need help with a Techno blade, friends

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Amestron

I need help with a Techno blade, friends

Post by Amestron »

Hello guys
I would like to ask you for advice, if you please.
I have a Techno CTS-XHP pretty new. I wasn't happy with the edge it came with, so I decided to put it a mirror polished edge with a Lansky Deluxe Kit at 20 degrees. It took me more than an hour with the extracoarse stone to reprofile the edge and get a burr (not a brilliant one, must say). I went through the rest of stones and finished it with the Spyderco ultrafine benchstone. It got mirror polished and pretty nice but... It did not cut at all. Then I began a trial and error retouches including microbeveling (I think) with the sharpmaker, that ended in a so-so edge with some catches (guess the burr did not go completely). The edge looks nasty, by the way. So, to fix this mess, what would you recommend me to do?
1.- Start from scratch with the Lansky, using a diamond stone I am waiting for, to speed up the process?
2.- Start from scratch with the Sharpener using the boro nitride rods? If so, 30 or 40 degrees?
3.- Harakiri myself with the Techno for spoiling a good knife because I am a smartass who thought that watching some videos on sharpening makes you a master sharpener?

Thank you, buddies!
SG89

Re: I need help with a Techno blade, friends

Post by SG89 »

Please don't do #3! Lol. Sharpening is definitely something that takes a lot of trial and error don't worry someone will tell you on here how to fix it. Edges are made to be dulled and brought back to life again :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
remnar

Post by remnar »

I'm still learning about sharpening myself, but I'm sure it would be helpful if you could post some pics.

BTW, Harakiri with a dull Techno would not be a good way to go and I advise against it. :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

#4. Send it to someone who knows how to sharpen :D I kid..I kid, we all have to start somewhere.

You may have created a wire edge that now needs to be cut off, try lightly passing the edge across one of your stones at a 90* angle, this should get rid of the wire edge. Then use a sharpie on both sides of the bevel and make a few passes on the SM set on 30 and see where its hitting, this should give you some idea of what exactly you have angle wise. I like to profile most of my knives at 30* inclusive then put a nice lite 40* micro bevel on it. Again, a sharpie can be your friend, use it often until you get the hang of things so you know whats actually happening at the apex.

This is just what works for me and I'm sure others here who admittingly know way more than I do will come along and help. It takes time to get good at sharpening, hang in there, you will get it eventually. :)

edit: forgot to welcome you to the forum, welcome aboard....
Last edited by farnorthdan on Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

Sorry to hear that. I have the CPM S30V version and it came scary sharp. Four stitches the first night I had her - ***** :)

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Awww... nice one!!!

We've all done something similar, I bet!
palonej

Post by palonej »

I'm also a sharpening noob and I personally wouldn't have attempted 'learning' on a high ender like your Techno!! :eek: :confused:
Don't fret tho!! I would give it another shot, without taking too much steel off!! If problem persists, there are some GREAT pro sharpeners on Blade Forums I have used.
Let us know how you do!!
Joe
V-Edge

Post by V-Edge »

farnorthdan wrote:
You may have created a wire edge that now needs to be cut off, try lightly passing the edge across one of your stones at a 90* angle, this should get rid of the wire edge.
Even better: lightly run the edge through the end-grain of a soft piece of pine wood to knock the burr off without the risk of flattening the edge apex.
Works for me ^^ (kinda forgot where I heard about this, to be honest)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Hi Amestron,

I don't know what techniques you're using, but with XHP I have found that light pressure and always using edge leading strokes (as opposed to trailing strokes) while sharpening gives better results. Diamonds for coarse work and ceramic for the finish, gave my Chaparral a *very* good edge.

With your sharpening jig system, "edge leading" equates to only using the stone on the stroke in toward the blade.

XHP isn't as hard to get right as some of the latest specialty steels are, but if you're new to sharpening, it might be a bit of a challenge at first. If you have any beater knives around to practice on that might help your results on the Techno later on... practice may not make perfect, but it sure doesn't hurt!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Amestron

Post by Amestron »

Wow, friends, that is a lot of advice. I have tried the wood method and it certainly took the burr off. In fact, now it cuts decently, but the edge looks ugly. That is why I wanted to redo it. I guess I will get the diamond and reprofile at 30 and microbevel at 40 with ceramic, polishing previously with the UF. Does it make sense?

Thanks again! You are awesome
Attachments
image.jpeg
Amestron

Post by Amestron »

Now that's better!
Reprofiling with nitride, all the way through the medium, fine and ultrafine, seriously stropping and pine wood to remove the rests of the burr. Now cuts smoothly, although not exactly mirror polished.
Thanks once again!
Attachments
image.jpeg