3 Spydercos on the trail

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skers95

3 Spydercos on the trail

Post by skers95 »

Hey all, my first post here. Bought my first Spyderco about a year ago and loving the knives and the community. I have a photo from a hike last weekend with my daughters that I thought I'd share. My oldest (almost 10) has been eyeing my green Delica for awhile (they've each had cheaper models they use with supervision) and I surprised her last week with a purple Delica.

We do a lot of camping and hiking and it's been really enjoyable teaching them knife skills, safety, and continuing to teach them about the outdoors. I was planning on waiting for my youngest to turn 10 to get her a blade like a Delica but she started to take a liking to the orange Delica when we were carving on the trail. "Can I have/use this one?!" Uh oh. :)

Thanks for such a great community here!
IMG_3329.jpg
El Gato

Re: 3 Spydercos on the trail

Post by El Gato »

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for being a great Dad. You are making a lot of happy memories. Good for you. :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You have many of the signs of a great dad. Teaching your kids to enjoy and appreciate the outdoors, knife safety and skills and giving them quality gear. Excellent. Congratulations to all of your family.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum, Skers95. :) Congrats on getting your family involved in the great outdoors--and also into knives! Looks like you will be buying more Spydies soon! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
skers95

Post by skers95 »

Thanks for the welcome and nice words, all! Love being outdoors and it's fun to also have a hobby you can put to use out there. Both of my girls can pretty much now identify grinds, locking mechanisms, and blade shapes. It's been fun!

I've been exploring a lot of different knife brands over the past year but always seem to come back to Spydies as my favorite while many of the others are sold off. :) I have my first PM2 coming in the mail. Can't wait.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Made me tear up a little bit lol. Cool family! :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Welcome skers95! I started my son off with the plain ole Swiss Army Knife. Soon, he'll get his first Spyderco. Like you, I think the Delica will be a great starter knife. I'll probably make him earn it one way or the other. I don't want to just give it to him. I don't think he'll appreciate it as much.

Keep your kids in the outdoors! And once again, welcome.

James
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome aboard sker95 and great story, I think its great getting the kids into the outdoors using knifes and guns etc. its important to instill the passion early, our kids are the ones who will decide how important it is to be able to carry/own/do these things in the future.The more we can get hooked the better chance we have of keeping these rights. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live somewhere and not be able to carry a pocket knife.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
swigert

Post by swigert »

Welcome! Stick around a while!
palonej

Post by palonej »

Excellent story and thanks for sharing!!
Wonderful feeling when our kids appreciate our obsessions.....I mean hobbies!! Hobbies are so much more fun when the kids share the passion with us!!
Joe
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Welcome to the forum. I have a Purple Delica waiting for my daughter as well. She is starting to use knives under supervision (primarily in the kitchen) but I took the opportunity to jump the gun and buy another spyder.
skers95

Post by skers95 »

Made me tear up a little bit lol. Cool family! :)
Made me smile. :)
Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing!
Thank you!
Welcome skers95! I started my son off with the plain ole Swiss Army Knife. Soon, he'll get his first Spyderco. Like you, I think the Delica will be a great starter knife. I'll probably make him earn it one way or the other. I don't want to just give it to him. I don't think he'll appreciate it as much.

Keep your kids in the outdoors! And once again, welcome.

James
Thanks for the welcome, James! Both girls started off with swiss army knives and have tried out a few of my budget knives over time. The oldest was kind of 'without a knife' and we had eyed a few options. Decided to make it a long term investment and something in her favorite color. :)
Welcome aboard sker95 and great story, I think its great getting the kids into the outdoors using knifes and guns etc. its important to instill the passion early, our kids are the ones who will decide how important it is to be able to carry/own/do these things in the future.The more we can get hooked the better chance we have of keeping these rights. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live somewhere and not be able to carry a pocket knife.
We're lucky to live in a place where we can get outdoors quickly and it's very accessible. So thankful for that. Thanks for the welcome!
Welcome! Stick around a while!
I'll try! :) I come here pretty much daily or a few times a day. I've never been a huge poster but will try to change that a bit!
Excellent story and thanks for sharing!!
Wonderful feeling when our kids appreciate our obsessions.....I mean hobbies!! Hobbies are so much more fun when the kids share the passion with us!!
Joe
Thanks, Joe! "What's this box, did you get another knife?" Yes, but I'm selling some too! :) We'll lay the knives out sometimes and they'll pick out their favorite 3 and it's interesting to see what they are drawn to.
Welcome to the forum. I have a Purple Delica waiting for my daughter as well. She is starting to use knives under supervision (primarily in the kitchen) but I took the opportunity to jump the gun and buy another spyder.
Haha, that hits home about getting another blade. :) They're starting to cook with me more and more and we work on knife skills and safety in the kitchen. I think being able to safely and capably handle knives in the kitchen and the outdoors is a key life skill so we gradually work on that. Plus, it's a lot of fun!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, and stick around and talk Spydies. Very cool story. I gave my granddaughter a purple Ladybug when she turned 9. We had lots of fun whittling. I showed her how to make a whistle. She cut herself, yet got a bandaid and wanted to get back to it. I hope she remembers our fun times when she gets older. She's 14 now.
- best wishes, Jazz.
skers95

Post by skers95 »

Jazz wrote:Welcome, and stick around and talk Spydies. Very cool story. I gave my granddaughter a purple Ladybug when she turned 9. We had lots of fun whittling. I showed her how to make a whistle. She cut herself, yet got a bandaid and wanted to get back to it. I hope she remembers our fun times when she gets older. She's 14 now.
Jazz - that's a great gift for your granddaughter! I like the dragonfly and thought about that as well but neither girl seemed to take to the Byrd Robin I had for awhile for some reason but did like the size of the Delica. It's a knife I need to add that to the collection, though. :D

Awesome she got right back up on the horse. Great idea on the whistle, I've been wondering about that. Do you have a specific design you use? I quickly searched on them but thought I'd see what you use.

Thanks!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

skers95 wrote: Do you have a specific design you use? I quickly searched on them but thought I'd see what you use.

Thanks!
Here's a link to a thread I made on it. Page 3 has a tutorial...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41448&hilit=Whittling+whistle
- best wishes, Jazz.
skers95

Post by skers95 »

Jazz wrote:
skers95 wrote: Do you have a specific design you use? I quickly searched on them but thought I'd see what you use.

Thanks!
Here's a link to a thread I made on it. Page 3 has a tutorial...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41448&hilit=Whittling+whistle
Great, thank you.