Barong sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Barong sprint?

Post by toomzz »

I am not a fan Ed Schemmps work, to be honest, but in the 20+ years carrying Spyderco folders the Barong is my favorite Spyderco knife. It is slim in the pocket and feels good in my hand. The liner lock feels secure and the thin flat ground VG10 blade serves me well in my daily tasks. It opens smooth with a solid 'thwack' and the liner disengages very light, just like my favorite M4 GB. That said, I must admit I have the Tom Krein regrind with the smaller ricasso and the thinned out blade. I equipped the knife with an home-made deep carry Ti clip. I love this pocketknife and completly trust its design, action and use.

Here on the forum I read a lot of requests for remaking models in a new different steel and handle and I thought I take my chance. Would there be any interest in making a sprintrun of this model? It is a Japanese made Spyder, so I think a Japanese steel is inevitable. Grey G10 with super blue? Or lightning strike CF with ZDP?

Any ideas or votes for?
Last edited by toomzz on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Re: Barong sprint?

Post by SG89 »

I would be interested bc I missed out on this knife the first time.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Where should I sign ?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Yes please!!
(although steels do seem to start getting imported into Japan I'll take a Superblue version for sure :D )
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Absolutely interested, I missed the initial drop and have always been on the alert for a reasonably priced one on the secondary. Oh yea, I love Super Blue :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Gotta start giving blood cause I am sure if this would ever happen, the price will be thru the moon..... :( John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'm on board.... would love a Khukri even better!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I think a Barong Sprint would be very well received today--especially with so many folks on the hunt for the original version. I would love to see any type of steel--although ZDP-189 or Superblue would be nice. How about dark red G-10 for the handles?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I've never been huge barong or khukri fans, which is a good thing for the wallet. I'd be interested, though, as I think many of Schempp's designs are absolute winners, especially after you get them in hand.

I do feel the need to mention, at the risk of being captain buzzkillington, that the capabilities of the Japanese maker(s) seem to have changed over the years. Thus, sprints of past Japanese designs may be less than completely straightforward to run. I remember Sal calling the Firefly his "nightmare knife" due to the difficulties in production.

That said, I will always give a Schempp design a serious look.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I would actually prefer it be a Sprint of the Khukuri instead, but would still be full-in on a Barong Sprint as well! :D

It is amazing how much blade gets packed into these designs and fold up ultra slim for a Spyderco design! Maybe even a little more surprising than a Caly 3.5!

I've been saying this for awhile now throughout all these various "fantasy design" threads that pop up. Sprints of either/both of these would be amazing. Especially now that HAP40 is here! :spyder:

Toomzz, is your Barong the one that was ground up more toward the pivot? I think I emailed you with questions about that a few months or more ago, but never got a reply...
Going back to Caly.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Count me among those who are interested.
Rare Blade

Post by Rare Blade »

Me as well
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Drool...
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Me, me, me!!!
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Keep it affordable (Under $150 ideally) and I'll definitely buy one
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would be interested if they gave it a Compression Lock or a Back Lock. I like the design but I am not a fan of liner locks, in general (there are a few exceptions).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

paladin wrote:I'm on board.... would love a Khukri even better!
How about a perfect trilogy? Barong/Khukri/Kriss? :D
(in any which order..)
Lefty Hook

Post by Lefty Hook »

Please Sal and fam... PLEASE!? We want the Barong back...
Lefty Hook

Post by Lefty Hook »

Would love to see a sprint in s110v, s90v, m4, or the hap40 laminate that many of the 2016 sprints are being made...
Last edited by Lefty Hook on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Lefty, you're pretty new here but deal soliciting & WTB posts are against Spyderco Forums groundrules...just a heads up...and good luck finding a Barong at a "FAIR" price. I see them come up on occasion on the big auction site for the neighborhood of $200 and it goes up from there. Over on BladeForums they have an active selling community and a dedicated WTB subforum... Probably will have better luck there. Let me take time to welcome you and Happy Hunting for your Barong! :spyder: :)