Anybody besides me interested in a small shirt pocket clipit knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Anybody besides me interested in a small shirt pocket clipit knife?

Post by DougC-3 »

I would very much like to see a small knife with pocket clip, designed for inconspicuous carry in the shirt pocket. One to 1.2 oz would be light enough for the thinnest shirt material. I would like a deep-carry clip similar the Dragonfly's wire clip, ideally a tiny bit smaller with thinner wire, but the D-fly clip would do nicely. Ideally, the part that shows above the pocket could be bilaterally symmetrical so it would look more like a pen or marker.

I frequently clip a small knife such as a Dragonfly, Squeak, Urban, or Kiwi 4 in my shirt pocket. I've even done this with my LW Manix a couple of times. I find them convenient to get to when I'm sitting in a an armchair or car seat which makes it difficult to access my pants pockets without standing up. And it's one more pocket, so I can carry one more knife ;)

I find the FRN Dragonflys, at 1.2 oz and with a short wire clip, to be the least noticeable to me; but the Manix 2 and Yojimbo 2, if equipped with deep-carry clips, protrude very little and probably look more like a pen or marker than the others. Of course they're heavier and would sag if clipped onto flimsy cloth.

If the Bradley Air (1.3 oz) or Roadie (1 oz) had optional clips, I'd probably jump on one, even though I'm not that crazy about the Roadie shape and the Air would not look very pen-like. I have actually seen someone staring at the butt of my Dragonfly sticking out, probably thinking it was some sort of ipod player or whatever :p

Any ideas or comments?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SG89

Re: Anybody besides me interested in a small shirt pocket clipit knife?

Post by SG89 »

Sounds pretty cool to me I would definitely be interested.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Sounds pretty cool to me I would definitely be interested.
I think this is a good idea. I too would be interested.
Having no "small" knives at the moment I had been considering the Dragonfly for a shirt pocket knife to ride with my tac-pen and small AAA flashlight. One can do a lot with a small blade and I think it would make a handy little option.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I think this is a excellent idea
PM1

Post by PM1 »

DougC-3 wrote:I would very much like to see a small knife with pocket clip, designed for inconspicuous carry in the shirt pocket. One to 1.2 oz would be light enough for the thinnest shirt material. I would like a deep-carry clip similar the Dragonfly's wire clip, ideally a tiny bit smaller with thinner wire, but the D-fly clip would do nicely. Ideally, the part that shows above the pocket could be bilaterally symmetrical so it would look more like a pen or marker.
Any ideas or comments?
If you are interested in a non-Spyderco option, the Hurricane Razor 2.0 by Amsler Knives is 0.8 oz. of CPM 154, non-folding, 5.25" long with a 1.5" blade, and it looks just like a pen when it is your pocket. I hope people don't mind me mentioning a non-Spydie; however, since Spyderco doesn't offer such a knife, I feel it is fair.

Of course, a folding Spyderco would have more blade length as well as the typical :spyder: awesomeness. :D
Attachments
DSC01756.jpeg
DSC01754.jpeg
DSC01753.jpeg
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Doug, I think this should do the trick: :D
https://richardrogersknives.files.wordp ... ow-res.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"This" being the Sharpie Knife made by custom knifemaker Richard Rogers. The lightening strike CF really kicks it up a notch too. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

This would be one time I would prefer tip down.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Retractable Xacto knife...?

Or maybe a Des Horn?
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for all the suggestions of other brands of knives. They would all work, but I'm kind of "stuck" on Spydies :)

I had considered the Des Horn but decided to buy the Kiwi 4 because of, maybe, more usefulness, but I haven't eliminated the Des Horn. I do prefer folders for this. Also, you don't have to worry about keeping track of a cap or sheath, etc.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

What's wrong with the dragonfly for this?

I don't wear shirts with pockets so I can't comment too much but it seems like a very inconvenient place to carry a knife.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Ever tried a Spin? I use mine as a tie clip when I'm forced to wear a tie, but it's easily small and light enough to work well in a shirt pocket...I've carried it that way too.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

zhyla wrote:What's wrong with the dragonfly for this?

I don't wear shirts with pockets so I can't comment too much but it seems like a very inconvenient place to carry a knife.

It actually seems like a very convenient place to carry a knife.

Unless you are active a lot, it would flop your shirt around a bit...

I don't wear a shirt with pockets every day, nor all day, so it isn't something I would get in the habit of doing.
Going back to Caly.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow. Some of those "others" look really nice. That Rogers sharpie looks awesome. Now I need to find one. Or Sal needs to make one. :)
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

I have a similar interest. I think I am going to try to solve this by using a wire suspension clip to a ladybug. This would allow the knife to be completely concealed with very deep carry, as well as clip to a pocket. Many shirts I wear, I would want the lightest possible if clipping to a shirt.

Here is an example

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I alway carry my SB manbug with a small lanyard in my shirt pocket, I wear a flannel of some type daily, left pocket has my phone and Tibolt pen the other carries my MB, lighter, quantum D flashlight and pill capsule. I like carrying the MB because I sit a desk a lot and it's easier to get out than my bigger blade in my pants pocket.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

You can even get that suspension clip that looks like a pen top!
A deep carry clip on a Roadie sounds cool, though.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

C22 in CF works well for this with a suspension clip. The stock pocket clip lets a bit too much of the knife to be visible.. Haven't seen any low riding aftermarket options for it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I might have a use for a knife that is literally in the shape of a pen..so we're talking about 3-4 inches or so and extremely slender, and the blade would only be 1/2 inch or so in height which wouldn't leave much room for any usable thumb hole. My interest would also be for concealment and being overlooked as a pen, but also because that would make for a very easy to carry knife. That custom linked above is very nice and right along the lines of what I'm imagining, but also probably way out of the price range I'd want to pay.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TomAiello wrote:Wow. Some of those "others" look really nice. That Rogers sharpie looks awesome. Now I need to find one. Or Sal needs to make one. :)
I know! Could you imagine what one would look like with a Round Hole?? :D
Evil D wrote:I might have a use for a knife that is literally in the shape of a pen..so we're talking about 3-4 inches or so and extremely slender, and the blade would only be 1/2 inch or so in height which wouldn't leave much room for any usable thumb hole. My interest would also be for concealment and being overlooked as a pen, but also because that would make for a very easy to carry knife. That custom linked above is very nice and right along the lines of what I'm imagining, but also probably way out of the price range I'd want to pay.
I'd personally love to see a Rogers/Spyderco collab on the Sharpie. To me, this is exactly the type of knife that would be of interest to Spydie fans. It'll definitely need a full Spyder-ization to offer a Round Hole. ;) I think the custom version is only going for $645. ;) :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This may be going against the grain but sometimes I'll carry a Delica or Endura in my shirt pocket, and the fact that I can feel the weight and mass there comforts me. Just adding my two cents. :)