Spyderco ATR: WOW!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sbaker345

Re: Spyderco ATR: WOW!

Post by sbaker345 »

Me gusta
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Definitely not in my EDC rotation but they are cool (and expensive) as ****. I recently traded my black SE VG-10 model for a SE Ti (not shown here), which I thought was a great deal. Here's some recent pics of my others with some current favorite Ti Spydies. :)

Last pic shows the direct resemblance with the Jester, as the Deacon was alluding to its relatives/heritage :)
Still undecided on the ATR, they look cool but lots of other gems out there higher up on the list, I did want to say though that I really like your SS Jesters RS, I would like to pick one of those up someday. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I owned one of the titanium PE ones for a number of years and eventually sold it. I didn't like the grip, and the blade profile was so-so. I really didn't like the cobra hood - I had several unintended "wave" openings. It was beautifully made but really didn't strike any chords for me. I'd far rather have a Military.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The ATR was just making its debut at about the same time I was in college. (Read: cash-strapped college student + no descretionary money = no ATR). :( :o

I had heard there was a new ATR coming out. Maybe now I'll be able to finally add one to the collection... :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JT

Post by JT »

I've got two, SS PE. One user and one NIB for backup. Love mine, however I broke the clip on mine when I was trying to adjust the tightness. I had some pics of the clip accident somewhere here.
The sound of ATR locking is just one of the best ever. :cool:
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:I have two, a titanium and stainless plain edge. Like rescueseven said, the action is silky smooth with zero play. They are not very ergonomic at all, but they are very interesting. I love the lock.

I'm not a fan of stainless scales/handles. At all. But I did receive my first ATR today (SS/SE) and I feel the opposite of you, I think it's one of the most comfortable and ergonomic folders I've ever held. I would love to see a thin peel ply CF or G10 handled sprint with upgraded steel come out, the peel ply handle would put it over the top for the best in-hand knife I've handled.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

It is still one of Kristi's favorite knives.

I have one, stainless, plain edge, that I carried a lot working down near the border. I haven't given it any pocket time in years. I think I will pull it out of the safe and carry it a bit. It might replace the Karahawk in the left front pocket for the next few days. It is a good knife, very quick into action, and easily manipulated from forward to reverse grips.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

dubya3 wrote: I feel the opposite of you, I think it's one of the most comfortable and ergonomic folders I've ever held.
Try using it for a while. The hard, thin spine eventually presses into the palm of your hand quite a bit.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Love the feel of it, I have the stainless which is a bit heavy and I'm not the biggest fan of hollow grinds.
If the new version would be flat/saber ground or even a high hollow grind and a bit lighter it may just become a favorite for edc.. :)