Any strong feelings yea or nay about blue fluted Ti Millies?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Any strong feelings yea or nay about blue fluted Ti Millies?

Post by DougC-3 »

The Millie was one of my first spydies, and I've always liked them, though I've drifted toward other knives lately. I've always thought the fluted Ti knives were too fancy for me, and I've never held blue knives in very high regard, but all that changed the other day when I held a blue fluted Ti Millie in hand for the first time. I couldn't stop thinking about it for two or three days, the price seems reasonable compared to secondary market prices, and I'm strongly leaning toward getting it. This is a beautiful knife which has a bright, even, light blue color. I may have to sell two or three others to "justify" it, or I may decide to "catch & release" it after awhile if I think it would be happier elsewhere.

I would appreciate any ideas, thoughts, stories, or experiences anybody has about these knives. I remember that some people were disappointed when the decision was made not to flame-anodize them any more and I would like to know how people feel about the blue vs. the un anodized fluted Ti handles, also their relative value re the current prices.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
farnorthdan

Re: Any strong feelings yea or nay about blue fluted Ti Millies?

Post by farnorthdan »

The Ti Millies are awesome, I bought the fluted first and loved it so much I recently picked up the regular one. My fluted is so smooth its a joy just opening it. It rides in pocket real nice too, for such a large piece it rides nice and flat. The regular is kind of blocky compared to the fluted but it's real nice too.

If I were you I'd snap up that blue one, I'm actually getting ready to send mine out for anodizing. The blue one was the one I wanted but I couldn't find one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

If it's priced well I'd snatch it up, you don't see them very often.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I can't comment much about the blue part because I don't have a blue one and I am indifferent to that part. I will say that my fluted Military is awesome. It is heavy but it is rock solid, high quality and stunningly beautiful. I wouldn't ever part with mine. The biggest thing for me with both the fluted Native and fluted Military is the contouring of the scales, it makes them both a dream to hold compared to their slab sided brothers.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
adam569

Post by adam569 »

I would love to own one the only military I have at the moment is the cruwear but I really need to get more titanium spydies.
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Is the lock on these hard to use like on the Southard.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
paladin

Post by paladin »

do it...you won't regret it :D

trust me, I'm a professional :cool:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Is the lock on these hard to use like on the Southard.
Only yours is hard to unlock Harley...

Doug, you might find this thread and discussion on the fluted Ti Millies interesting (and maybe not ;)):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I only held it a moment in the store, but I was surprised that I could depress the lock with my left index finger just like I do the regular millies, just a tad stiffer. I don't have huge fingers -- I think it's just more of a technique thing. As for the Southard, I've only held one once or twice and am not much familiar with them.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I love the fluted Ti Military, enough that I have 4 of them :). Only one of mine is anodized. I think I remember the initial ones being flame anodized, later runs used electrical anodizing, and then they stopped anodizing them at all. Am I going senile, or does anyone else remember it this way?

A couple of mine, I kept stored untouched in the original boxes for quite awhile, then when I did take them out to take some pictures, they were *very* stiff to open -- not rusted at all, but I think maybe the oil/grease applied when they were made got sticky. I oiled them up and cycled the action a bunch and they seemed to loosen up nicely, I was just surprised they would be so difficult to open after storing them.

If you see one available, you should jump on it, they don't show up all that often :). The fluted Ti Native 5 is a little more readily available, though of course not anodized (except I knew of some gold-anodized by a third party).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

Doug, you might find this thread and discussion on the fluted Ti Millies interesting (and maybe not ;)):

Sigh.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

Thanks very much for the link -- great info. I knew you were very fond of fluted Ti Natives and almost PM'd you about this, but couldn't remember if you were into Millies. I only held the knife for a few seconds because the sales clerk produced it from out of sight somewhere and put it in my hand and I didn't think I was interested at the moment. I never thought to look and see if it had the steel lockbar insert but after reading a BF thread I just found http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... y-titanium" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I decided I wanted it either way... Just called and gave them the go-ahead to mail it to me :D It does have the insert.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

This in the one military I want in plane edge.

Its almost more art than knife.

Im not sure what finish I'd prefer.

I've never seen either in person.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

rodloos wrote:I love the fluted Ti Military, enough that I have 4 of them :). Only one of mine is anodized. I think I remember the initial ones being flame anodized, later runs used electrical anodizing, and then they stopped anodizing them at all. Am I going senile, or does anyone else remember it this way?

A couple of mine, I kept stored untouched in the original boxes for quite awhile, then when I did take them out to take some pictures, they were *very* stiff to open -- not rusted at all, but I think maybe the oil/grease applied when they were made got sticky. I oiled them up and cycled the action a bunch and they seemed to loosen up nicely, I was just surprised they would be so difficult to open after storing them.

If you see one available, you should jump on it, they don't show up all that often :). The fluted Ti Native 5 is a little more readily available, though of course not anodized (except I knew of some gold-anodized by a third party).
This is true (the switch to electrical anodizing, not the part about going senile :) ) I was just thinking awhile ago: "anodizing -> anode -> electricity -> doh :o maybe I just dreamed up the part about flaming to start with." So I checked the spydiewiki, and they describe the switch from flame to electricity, so maybe neither of us is senile yet ;)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Yep. It started out flame anodized, then moved to electrical, and finally ended up not anodized at all. Only the initial run came without the steel lockbar insert. The flame anodized had greater color variation (purples, blues, and greys) across a single knife but the colors were kind of subdued. The electrical anodized ones were a very consistent and brighter blue. The unanodized version is just a somewhat matte grey. I managed to get one of each at the last factory second sale. I'll try to get a picture of all three in a bit.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have the original and love it.colors are way better on the anodizing
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm all for the Ti-Fluted Millie in blue, but I reckon we'll not see a Sprint run due to production issues on the first runs.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

jabba359 wrote:Yep. It started out flame anodized, then moved to electrical, and finally ended up not anodized at all. Only the initial run came without the steel lockbar insert. The flame anodized had greater color variation (purples, blues, and greys) across a single knife but the colors were kind of subdued. The electrical anodized ones were a very consistent and brighter blue. The unanodized version is just a somewhat matte grey. I managed to get one of each at the last factory second sale. I'll try to get a picture of all three in a bit.
Yes pictures please! I personally don't care for the look of the current fluted millie but if I had the opportunity (and the money at the time) I would definitely jump on the original flame anodized one and likely the purdy blue as well.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Here's my second generation electrically ano'd fluted Ti Military along with my blue ano Ti PM2 scales made by Casey Lynch. The fluted Ti Military in my mind is certainly the best handle variation of that model - super light, well contoured and sculpted, and a Ti frame lock that gives me much confidence.

Congrats of the pickup Doug, you'll love it for sure! :D

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the tips and pics, everyone, and your comparison shot(s) too, Kyle, when you get a chance! I getting excited about this thing now and sitting on pins & needles waiting for confirmation that they've mailed it to me :eek: